My Grand Social Experiment
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

My Grand Social Experiment

This is a discussion on My Grand Social Experiment within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I have to admit, I have been an ardent advocate against open carry for many years, especially since I have ...

BuddhaKat is offline The Big Happy Fat Kat

Default My Grand Social Experiment

I have to admit, I have been an ardent advocate against open carry for many years, especially since I have a CC permit. However, since joining this forum I have been giving the subject a lot of thought. So the other day I decided I would put it to the test here in Reno.

I was expecting a lot of negativity from the general public and had given a lot of thought as to how I would deal with the different scenarios. To me, this was a big thing and I wanted to be prepared for anything, even if it was just to answer a question.

Well, all that thought and preparation was for naught. I've been OC'n for two days now and have not received a single negative comment. I went to some very public places too, including spending an hour and a half in one of the local Walmart stores. I'm VERY pleased at all the places that chose to NOT prohibit me and my weapon.

Here's a list of some of the places I visited:
    Walmart,
    Quizno's
    O'Reilly Auto Parts
    VP Racing Fuel, Sparks NV
    Maverick Gas Station
    KFC
    Nevada Power Products
    Burger King

For the record, the fact that I didn't experience any pushback from any of these establishments does not in any way mean they have a positive OC policy. I'm just saying I didn't have any problems while I was there.

I expected to encounter someone that asks if carrying makes me feel tough, and some people collecting their children to get them away from my proximity. None of that happened. Quite a lot of people looked at the gun kept on their way without changing course. I had a few people ask me questions about the law, but not one single person said even the slightest thing negative about my OC'n.

So for now I'm going to continue to OC. I do have a CCW but so far I haven't found a CC holster that's comfortable and effective for the way I dress.

I started OC last week also. I don't understand how people can wear a gun in their waistband all day long! I've tried 3 different guns and several different holsters with no luck so I went to the gun store and bought an OWB holster and I love it. I still cc in those nono places but that's a personal choice. I've only had 1 comment and that was "nice piece" and a few double takes but no wide eyed crazed people. I do live in medford Oregon which is a small farmer/hunter town. I'm actually shocked I don't see more people carrying. I think people are just afraid of the law. Either way grats on your choice to OC, it feels very liberating haha! I'm currently saving for a pocket .380 and I'm about 2 weeks away, when I finally get it ill probably switch back and forth depending on where I'm going that day.

I'm also curious as to what you carry? I never thought to OC until I got a .357 snub. Something about a wheel gun that screams carry me like a cowboy ha!

golddigger14s is offline SFC At Fort Lewis, WA

Two years in Olympia, WA no negative comments. I carry a full size 17+ 9mm, so it is pretty obvious. I go where ever it's legal/allowed to carry to include my bank. Some people on this forum say I "OC", but won't at the bank. I don't know why (before someone jumps in I know it's "illegal" in some states), at least here in WA it's legal. Some banks might have "no gun" policies, but it's not illegal (in WA) and my Wells Fargo has no issue. Be a proud American and OC!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    I'm also curious as to what you carry? I never thought to OC until I got a .357 snub. Something about a wheel gun that screams carry me like a cowboy ha!
    I'm carrying a Springfield XD 45 plus two spare clips on my belt. I'm using the clip holder that came with the gun but I think I'm going to try and find something better.

I have been carrying on a regular basis for over 16 years and the last nearly 4 1/2 of those years, it has been almost entirely OC for me. I still do CC on occasion when I deem such to be in my better interests, but I believe I have very good reasons to OC and since I live in a state where OC'ing is the standard, or default, mode of carry, it works out quite well for me.

I don't carry in either mode for the purpose of making a political statement, to jerk anyone's chain, or to attempt to get a rise out of the police or public. My primary reason for OC'ing is due to the fact that I have osteoarthritis in both knees and while still quite mobile, I can no longer fight or run as I was once capable of doing. My OC'd little friend tells those who may be of a mind to do me harm that perhaps it is in their interests to find someone else to bother.

In the nearly 4 1/2 years I have been OC'ing on a regular basis, I have only had one negative encounter and that was from a customer in a local McDonald's who claimed he was a retired LEO. Judging from his accent, he was not native to Virginia.

It's really a no-brainer down here. The chance of having any problems while OC'ing is pretty close to zero.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

I've read a lot of stories about people having negative experiences and it makes me wonder, if someone sees you with a gun and it makes them so uncomfortable, then why are they arguing with you?! I will never understand the reasoning behind anti gun. Even my wife gives me crap from time to time and I'm like babe we just watched the same episode of dateline together, why are you not ecstatic that I carry a weapon! She also gives me grief when I carry around the house. We do live in a very peaceful low crime area but there is no such thing as NO crime. I also carry around the house to get used to carrying.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your successful experiment! OC or CC, kinda like Pepsi or Coke, Ford or GM. No, wait, GM took taxpayer money and is partially owned by "us", or actually our current regime. My next vehicle will be a Ford.

Back to the OP idea, glad you found the experience useful.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

rdm6680 is offline Banned

What I've learned is that you need to start eating better. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Congrats on your successful experiment! OC or CC, kinda like Pepsi or Coke, Ford or GM. No, wait, GM took taxpayer money and is partially owned by "us", or actually our current regime. My next vehicle will be a Ford.

Back to the OP idea, glad you found the experience useful.
    You hit the nail on the head there. Prior to my experiment I was one of the most ardent opponents of OC. I thought it was unnecessarily provocative and would make people very uncomfortable. No one was more shocked, or should I say pleased, that the general public hardly took note of it and of those that did, I never heard a single negative comment. I was expecting some rather hostile reactions and instead found a public that was quite accepting. Even the hippie lady I delivered a load of firewood to yesterday didn't say a thing.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast