First "negative" encounter while OC'ing - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree45Likes

First "negative" encounter while OC'ing

This is a discussion on First "negative" encounter while OC'ing within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 Maybe I'm wrong but I took Montyrush's question as being rhetorical. I don't think it was ...

Firefighterchen is online now OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but I took Montyrush's question as being rhetorical. I don't think it was an actual question.
    I know :) It's sad though...because that isn't the first time I have heard it, from a not so rhetorical view point. I was just going to squash that bug before it pops its head up again.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

For those who think it is terrible to carry a gun right out there where people can see it because it will "offend" others... I guarantee those who don't like guns don't give a fart in a windstorm if that "offends" YOU!. So why are you afraid of "offending" them?

I can't speak for other States but here in Michigan open carry has become more prevalent in the past 3 years... and it has caused many changes including retraining of police depts. in the area of the law.. and the repealing of many illegal local gun ordinances. It is rare for someone open carrying to be hassled by the police in Michigan now... all because of people having the courage to actually open carry.

The link below is just one of many things that open carry caused in Michigan...

Michigan State Police Legal Update #86

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

Now... another thing ... because many folks open carry in Michigan on a daily basis, and because there has been much media coverage of a couple of high profile cases involving open carry (one lately concerning open carry in a school while voting-see link below), the general public now knows open carry is legal.

No charges over gun in voting booth

No charges over gun in voting booth | WOOD TV8

There is a benefit to concealed carriers too because since the sight of a gun being openly carried has become fairly commonplace the occasional exposure of a concealed gun isn't a big deal either.

santa is offline santa

Firefighterchen, I remembered something that happened after you were at my house. In a small town like where I live everybody is always looking out at what everyone else is doing. After you left 2 neighbors came over (seperately) and commented about your bike. But it soon came out that it was your sidearm that aroused their curiousity. They BOTH thought it was a good idea (open carry) and wanted to come over but didnt want to interrupt. A few days later a third neighbor asked me if OC was legal because a cop had told her it wasnt. I looked up the relevant laws and printed them She now carries both open AND concealed(she does have a CPL).
    The point is without realizing it is you helped educate someone. I firmly believe that OC is one of many ways to educate people about firearms.
    You learned at the store that MOST of the time when confronted with hostility about OC you can get more people on your side with kindness than the 'in your face' approach that some advocate. Im now an ordained minister and a Bible verse comes to mind, "A kind word turns away wrath--". You did just fine.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

When you are armed, and this is only my opinion, you MUST be much, much more tolerant and much, much more polite than any other person around you...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

LkWd_Don is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    Firefighterchen, I remembered something that happened after you were at my house. In a small town like where I live everybody is always looking out at what everyone else is doing. After you left 2 neighbors came over (seperately) and commented about your bike. But it soon came out that it was your sidearm that aroused their curiousity. They BOTH thought it was a good idea (open carry) and wanted to come over but didnt want to interrupt. A few days later a third neighbor asked me if OC was legal because a cop had told her it wasnt. I looked up the relevant laws and printed them She now carries both open AND concealed(she does have a CPL).
    The point is without realizing it is you helped educate someone. I firmly believe that OC is one of many ways to educate people about firearms.
    You learned at the store that MOST of the time when confronted with hostility about OC you can get more people on your side with kindness than the 'in your face' approach that some advocate. Im now an ordained minister and a Bible verse comes to mind, "A kind word turns away wrath--". You did just fine.
    These are the stories we need to hear more of.

A good Friend of mine, my wife and I carry, we also both belong to a Non-Profit charitable organization that meets in City Hall and we frequently have Neighborhood Police and Community Service Officers attending our meetings. Well we both carry and being cold out, neither of us had even thought about packing with our jackets covering our pistols into City Hall. We happened to ask about the legality of carrying into City Hall and neither the NPO, CSO or the City Council person who was present could answer. Knowing us, no one even asked if we had CPL's or not. Well, I got to searching for the answer and came across the WA AG Opinion Letter in 2008 "AGO 2008 No8" that says the City can not restrict us from carry in City Buildings. Now we know and we are educating more people around us as we go.

I think you did a much better job than I would have. You had all the right counter arguments and most importantly, kept your cool!

I'm in west Texas and I haven't heard of any LEO getting jumped.
    I think you handled that exceptionally well by the way.

sounds to me like you were very professional and the employees saw that. As for the other guy, he obviously gave the employees more aggravation than anyone carrying a gun. Good on you for keeping your cool and being professional!
    Last edited by CRW; 04-05-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: changed that to than

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345