I gave positive feedback to OCer. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree42Likes

I gave positive feedback to OCer.

This is a discussion on I gave positive feedback to OCer. within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by Treo I did a survey on Gunrightsmedia once and there are something like 15 states (not including ...

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I did a survey on Gunrightsmedia once and there are something like 15 states (not including those who have no permit requirement) that have no training requirement at all. Funny thing though we don't seem to have permit holders blowing their feet off left and right either
    What the gun UN-owning public doesn't keep in mind, most of us gun owners actually take the time to practice with our firearms, in order to have some sort of proficiency with them. All they really have to do is check the statistics on how many permit holders lose their permits for some infraction, and they'll see that we are more law abiding than the general public.

And while I think that training is a good idea, I still don't think it should be mandatory.We did pretty good for the first 120 years without any mandatory training requirements. But the politicians always have to placate the screaming mimis who think my gun is gonna jump out of it's holster and start shooting randomly while I just stand there with my arms crossed, laughing my ass off...I mean, in abject horror.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I was NOT referring to firearms training! I was referring to the legal training received during the classroom session. This factor is lacking in many states requirements. Without trying to aggravate the military members I have to say that just having a military ID should not automatically ensure that the individual has much (or any) knowledge of using a handgun and almost assuredly does not indicate that the individual has knowledge of the legalities of civilian use of a firearm.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
    I was NOT referring to firearms training! I was referring to the legal training received during the classroom session. This factor is lacking in many states requirements. Without trying to aggravate the military members I have to say that just having a military ID should not automatically ensure that the individual has much (or any) knowledge of using a handgun and almost assuredly does not indicate that the individual has knowledge of the legalities of civilian use of a firearm.
    The problem I have w/ state mandated training of any kind is once you institute it itís a very small step from that to a course requirement that is so strict no one can pass it.

As a responsible gun owner I feel that it is incumbent upon me to know the firearms laws of my state and any state I may choose to visit.

If Iím not a responsible gun owner all the state mandated training in the world wonít make me one
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

The problem I have w/ state mandated training of any kind is once you institute it it’s a very small step from that to a course requirement that is so strict no one can pass it.

As a responsible gun owner I feel that it is incumbent upon me to know the firearms laws of my state and any state I may choose to visit.

If I’m not a responsible gun owner all the state mandated training in the world won’t make me one
    I agree... once training is mandated whoever controls what criteria constitutes acceptable training controls who, including what strata of society, is able to carry. Not to mention that the criteria can not only be excessively strict as Treo mentioned, but it can also be so intensive that it costs too much for anyone other then the rich to afford . A hypothetical example would be.... a mandatory very strict 2 week course only offered by a very few training centers in the entire country with tuition at $25,000 plus room/board/expenses and the very folks who need a gun to protect themselves.. the poor living in high crime areas... simply can't afford it. But the very rich/powerful can easily bribe... errrrr... offer incentives to get in.

Now.. if anyone thinks my example of a mandated very expensive two week training course is ridiculous... think of what someone like Bloomberg would do if he were in charge of the mandated training program.

So while requiring training sounds good on the surface all it really does is open the door to whoever controls the training controls the carrying.

If Iím not a responsible gun owner all the state mandated training in the world wonít make me one
    I think training is what makes a person a responsible gun owner. My training came as a teenager from responsible adults that made sure everyone toed the line when it came to safety. On top of that what I chose to search out for my own education and finally with the class I took to learn the laws specific to carrying in my state, it all built up to being a responsible firearm owner. I think it unfortunate that many people didn't have quality training, be it as a youth, in the military, our other sources, and they buy their first gun, get their permit and are a menace to society.

I see what you are saying that training could be a possible slippery slope that could end as a block to obtaining a permit, but I know too many people that weren't at all familiar with firearms that did benefit some from the permit class.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Before I got my LTCH in Indiana, many moons ago. I did a ton of research all on my own. I later ran into other Indiana LTCH holders and talked to them about the legal requirements, and found that most of them had done their own research also.

Thing is, I think most of us would go the extra mile to learn about what we can or can't do, and when we can or can't do those things that keep us alive. To a certain degree, it's just common sense. Now, are there people out there, who if not forced to, wouldn't bother? Sure, just as there are people out there, who even when exposed to the law, let it in one ear and out the other. We should know this, one of them is in the White House.

So yeah, there's gonna be morons with guns, just as there are morons driving cars, flying planes, and doing other dangerous things. But hey, that's life.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345