Michigan Open Carry Requirements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michigan Open Carry Requirements

This is a discussion on Michigan Open Carry Requirements within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; New to posting, but I can't stand google telling me different things... I was wondering if anyone knew, do I ...

Default Michigan Open Carry Requirements

New to posting, but I can't stand google telling me different things...

I was wondering if anyone knew, do I need a certain permit for OC in Mi? I will be 21 relatively soon and will take my CCW test then, but I know it takes a little while to get that card. Do I need my CCW card to OC here or any type of permit?

Thanks!

I think you have to be 21 to legally but a handgun.. And 18 to open carry without any permit as long as someone gifted you the handgun

You do not need a permit to open carry in Michigan. Keep in mind what open carry means. Your gun CANNOT be concealed AT ANY TIME without a Concealed Pistol License. This means that when getting into your car you have to unload the gun and lock it up separately from the ammo. If it's cold outside your coat CANNOT cover the weapon. The Michigan State Police issued a Legal Update on open carry a while back, follow this link: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by daniel28 View Post
    New to posting, but I can't stand google telling me different things...

I was wondering if anyone knew, do I need a certain permit for OC in Mi? I will be 21 relatively soon and will take my CCW test then, but I know it takes a little while to get that card. Do I need my CCW card to OC here or any type of permit?

Thanks!
    Michigan is a traditional open carry state. You have to be 18 and do not need a permit. Just know that there are non carry zones:
    A depository financial institution (e.g., bank or credit union)
    A church or other place of religious worship
    A court
    A theater
    A sports arena
    A day care center
    A hospital
    An establishment licensed under the Liquor Control Code
    Once you have your CPL then these won't apply to you for open carry.

If you want to know more:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

The other catch is that if you don't have your CPL yet, if in a vehicle your sidearm must be unloaded and cased, in the trunk or as inaccessible as possible in a vehicle without a trunk.

Here's another good link for info:

Michigan
    George Washington: “They may pass a law to issue paper money, but 20 laws will not make the people receive it. Paper money is founded upon fraud and knavery.”

Jason1221 is offline XTREME
    Blog Entries

Now is it true that a Michigan cpl holder can open carry in these pistol free zones excluding federal property????

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1221 View Post
    Now is it true that a Michigan cpl holder can open carry in these pistol free zones excluding federal property????
    If you are referring to these...

Quote Originally Posted by alduane View Post
    Michigan is a traditional open carry state. You have to be 18 and do not need a permit. Just know that there are non carry zones:
    A depository financial institution (e.g., bank or credit union)
    A church or other place of religious worship
    A court
    A theater
    A sports arena
    A day care center
    A hospital
    An establishment licensed under the Liquor Control Code
    Once you have your CPL then these won't apply to you for open carry.

If you want to know more:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

Yes and no... a church still needs the permission of the pastor or board because it is private property...

But.... Federal property, the post office (including the post office parking lot), and most court/court houses, are still PFZs for any kind of carry.

For questions about open carry in Michigan may I suggest visiting this website?

Michigan

You will find actual laws cited and/or linked to and very knowledgeable folks there.

In Michigan all handgun purchases (assuming you have no CPL) requires you to get a "permit to purchase" or as it is called under law a license to purchase, possess, carry, and transport a pistol. So yes you do need a license but as long as you legally own the pistol you can carry it openly. And you only have to be 18 to purchase a pistol through private sale. 21 is federal law to purchase from FFL dealers. Also Michigan issues concealed pistol licenses (CPL) and not "CCW".

[QUOTE=Bikenut;304734]If you are referring to these...

Yes and no... a church still needs the permission of the pastor or board because it is private property...

But.... Federal property, the post office (including the post office parking lot), and most court/court houses, are still PFZs for any kind of carry.[QUOTE]

Actually they are all private property except for the Court. You don't need permission under the law to carry but you can be asked to leave and be charged with trespassing if you don't.
    Also bear in mind that Federal law prohibits carry within 1000 feet of school property unless you have a resident CPL from that state. In short, you must have a Michigan CPL and be a Michigan resident to be legal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast