Open Carry Experience
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Open Carry Experience

This is a discussion on Open Carry Experience within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Went backpacking in our beautiful mountains with a friend and had several experiences and some non-experiences. We started by parking ...

Default Open Carry Experience

Went backpacking in our beautiful mountains with a friend and had several experiences and some non-experiences.

We started by parking in a busy campground parking lot, and decided to use the outhouse before heading out.

Due to our large packs covering our waists, we had to carry on drop-leg holsters, so we both had our Glocks on our legs which were rather hard to not see. We were approached by several people and had nice conversations with all of them. The parking lot was rather busy since there are several hiking trails in the area. Out of all the people we educated on carrying guns, only one family did not want to talk. When we walked by they rolled up their windows as they sat in their car.

We also talked to 2 forest service rangers who were fellow gun owners and were not bothered at all by our guns.

After several pleasant encounters, we went back to the car and got ready to head out. I carried my Bushmaster M4 on its sling, and my buddy carried his shotgun. These guns were impossible not to see. Once again, a few people wanted to talk guns with us but nobody seemed to care about these rather large, "dangerous" looking guns hanging on us. On the trail we passed many people. All of them were pleasant encounters, and surprisingly, some people didnt even seem to notice the large guns hanging off us.

All in all, it felt great exercising our rights, educating others, and shattering the idea that only cops carry guns.

Excellent experience! Odd how the anti gunner cries of how people will be so scared, so terrified, so traumatized, so freaked out, by the sight of a gun................. just isn't the usual reaction from the general public.

Wonderful experience....Maybe those people whom you passed by that rolled their windows? -- they suddenly had a thought: these guys were prepared and we are not.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Wonderful experience....Maybe those people whom you passed by that rolled their windows? -- they suddenly had a thought: these guys were prepared and we are not.
    Naw, I wouldn't bet on it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

What trail were you hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Naw, I wouldn't bet on it.
    Oh ye of little faith...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Glad to hear it :) I had a good experience today with Aaron in Ashley's Furniture. Aaron has been thinking about open carrying because it makes him feel more secure, and after seeing me, has decide he will too start open carrying. Good times!
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

DesertEagle, where was this? Must be some nasty critters on the trail to need an M4 and shotgun!

Quote Originally Posted by rokurota View Post
    DesertEagle, where was this? Must be some nasty critters on the trail to need an M4 and shotgun!

1. Its my right
    2. There are black bears, mountain lions, coyotes, maybe even a bigfoot
    3. Sometimes its the 2 legged critters that are the worst
    4. I didnt buy it so it could just sit in my safe all day

DE, I'm with you on the rights angle. In most places, a long gun slung over the shoulder will prompt some calls unless it's hunting season. I hike in bear and snake country and have settled for a 2.25" barreled .357 so I don't freak out other hikers. If I thought I could lug my AR with me and not cause a scene I would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast