Open/Concealed It Just doesnt Matter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Open/Concealed It Just doesnt Matter

This is a discussion on Open/Concealed It Just doesnt Matter within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Frankly, I didnt know where to post this but thought it ironic that the concealed carrier didnt use his "element ...

Default Open/Concealed It Just doesnt Matter

Frankly, I didnt know where to post this but thought it ironic that the concealed carrier didnt use his "element of surprise" to remedy the situation. As a disclaimer, I do both which is legal here in NC but have always heard the OC bashing. Just goes to show that situational awareness is critical using both methods of carry.

MINNEAPOLIS - A 34-year-old man is charged with first degree aggravated robbery after Minneapolis police say he held up a conceal and carry permit holder with his own gun.

Investigators say it happened May 21 during a street robbery in the Third Precinct. The Minneapolis Police Facebook Page reports that the victim, an adult male, was walking home near 31st Street East and 3rd Avenue South when a man walking the other way suddenly slammed him into a parked car.

The victim told officers that hitting the car injured his arm and he was unable to defend himself. As the suspect, 34-year-old Willie Merriweather, searched the man he found the pistol, held it to the victim's head and demanded the rest of his valuables. The man lost his gun and wallet in the robbery.

Conceal and carry permit holder robbed with own gun | kare11.com
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

This has been posted before, but that is all right.

I understand your point that situational awareness is the most critical aspect to your self defense, but I disagree about making a statement about open or concealed. There is a very good chance the guy would have never been chosen if he was open carrying. We will probably never find out though.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

As has been stated:
    As the suspect, 34-year-old Willie Merriweather, searched the man he found the pistol, ...
    I agree with 'Chen...if he OC he wouldn't have been targetted. But then the guy should have been more aware...it is not a case of whether you OC or CC question here.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I fall mostly into the group that says the best defense is a good offense. If they see you are carrying they will go rob someone else. The criminals do profile us; the cops busted and interviewed a bunch that was farming my neighborhood who said they identify potential victims at everyday places like grocery stores. They will identify someone else if they see a gun on your hip.

I am a proponent of open carry as long as the individual has the proper training and the wherewithal to distinguish when to open and when to conceal carry. Open carry is a great deterrent to crime but without proper training can be hazardous to your health. Goes without saying that either way training and familiarization and practice practice practice with your preferred weapon of choice. In today's times it does not pay to be anti gun when so many others(thieves, dealers and the like) are so pro gun, unless life holds little meaning for you. In order to preserve life you need to protect life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fischesser:322586
    I am a proponent of open carry as long as the individual has the proper training and the wherewithal to distinguish when to open and when to conceal carry. Open carry is a great deterrent to crime but without proper training can be hazardous to your health. Goes without saying that either way training and familiarization and practice practice practice with your preferred weapon of choice. In today's times it does not pay to be anti gun when so many others(thieves, dealers and the like) are so pro gun, unless life holds little meaning for you. In order to preserve life you need to protect life.
    How much training and "wherewithal" must one have to get your approval?

That is extremely close, if not all ready there, to an elitist mentality.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Frankly, I didnt know where to post this but thought it ironic that the concealed carrier didnt use his "element of surprise" to remedy the situation. As a disclaimer, I do both which is legal here in NC but have always heard the OC bashing. Just goes to show that situational awareness is critical using both methods of carry.

MINNEAPOLIS - A 34-year-old man is charged with first degree aggravated robbery after Minneapolis police say he held up a conceal and carry permit holder with his own gun.

Investigators say it happened May 21 during a street robbery in the Third Precinct. The Minneapolis Police Facebook Page reports that the victim, an adult male, was walking home near 31st Street East and 3rd Avenue South when a man walking the other way suddenly slammed him into a parked car.

The victim told officers that hitting the car injured his arm and he was unable to defend himself. As the suspect, 34-year-old Willie Merriweather, searched the man he found the pistol, held it to the victim's head and demanded the rest of his valuables. The man lost his gun and wallet in the robbery.

I'm confused by the story, since it isn't written clearly. Did the perpetrator hit the victim with a car slamming the victim into another car, or did the perpetrator (while walking) grab the victim and throw him into the parked car? If it was the former, I'm contending it really wouldn't have mattered which style of carry the victim had. If it was the latter, yes, OC would probably have prevented the occurrence.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

If you are not in condition yellow, head on a swivel, anything you carry for self defense is going to be pretty much useless, action pretty much trumps reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire:322619
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post

I'm confused by the story, since it isn't written clearly. Did the perpetrator hit the victim with a car slamming the victim into another car, or did the perpetrator (while walking) grab the victim and throw him into the parked car? If it was the former, I'm contending it really wouldn't have mattered which style of carry the victim had. If it was the latter, yes, OC would probably have prevented the occurrence.
    " when a man walking the other way" they were both walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fischesser View Post
    Another one of those....

"I think it's Ok for folks to exercise their right to bear arms as long as they do it in the way I think is Ok after they qualify for it by doing what I think is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable"."

Dude.... why do you think they put that little thing about "shall not be infringed" in the 2nd Amendment? Because when it comes to the right to bear arms limiting the ability to exercise the right to bear arms according to what someone thinks is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" ...

is an "unreasonable", "inappropriate", and "unacceptable".............. freaking infringement!

The whole idea of "shall not be infringed" is that the government shall not restrict, limit, or control, the right to bear arms. When people think the way you do and a gun control politician comes along and says the right to bear arms openly should be controlled by restrictive laws that are "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable".... more restrictions ("restrictions" is spelled I N F R I N G E D) are passed with no problem.

Which is how we got saddled with that "unreasonable", "inappropriate", and "unacceptable" infringement of government control over the right to bear an arm in a concealed manner called a "carry permit". You do realize that the word "permit" means the government is "allowing" you... and if someone is in a position to allow, or disallow, then you don't have a "right"... all you have is.......

permission.

If you have to ask permission you do NOT have the right... all you have is a privilege that can be revoked at any time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast