how to open carry?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

how to open carry?

This is a discussion on how to open carry? within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; A man stopped me in Wal-Mart (Virginia) yesterday while I was open carrying. Asked me if I was supposed to ...

Blog Entries

Default how to open carry?

A man stopped me in Wal-Mart (Virginia) yesterday while I was open carrying. Asked me if I was supposed to be carrying concealed.... I said open carry in VA is legal. So he told me yes but its supposed to be three point. I have thoroughly reviewed the state law once again to find nothing. Also googled it with same results. Was this guy crazy? Just pulling my chain? I was using my concealment OWB holster with my t-shirt tucked behind it in the small of my back completely exposed. Now what I get out of the VA law is that it must not be hidden from common observation or "disguising in the true nature of". Which it definitely was not. Just want to be sure even though I'm pretty sure many cops and security guards have seen it, and not ever mentioned anything at all.

Firefighterchen is online now OC for Tactical Advantage

What's three point?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think he's saying the pistol has to be visible from 3 points. Front, back and side...

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
    A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; [...] For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
    No "three-point" test exists. Under my reading, even having it OWB at 12 o'clock would be fine (under terms of the law, exempting a discussion of merits to this form of carry) even thought such a form of open carry prevents it from being seen from behind.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

I tend to view things a little differently so my first reaction would probably be to ask the guy for some type of law enforcement credentials. After that I’m not sure if I’d got to the trouble of telling him to MYOB or just walk away.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

In the small of the back you can see it from left side, right side and from the back. Here you have your 3 points

Quote Originally Posted by roejay87 View Post
    A man stopped me in Wal-Mart (Virginia) yesterday while I was open carrying. Asked me if I was supposed to be carrying concealed.... I said open carry in VA is legal. So he told me yes but its supposed to be three point. I have thoroughly reviewed the state law once again to find nothing. Also googled it with same results. Was this guy crazy? Just pulling my chain? I was using my concealment OWB holster with my t-shirt tucked behind it in the small of my back completely exposed. Now what I get out of the VA law is that it must not be hidden from common observation or "disguising in the true nature of". Which it definitely was not. Just want to be sure even though I'm pretty sure many cops and security guards have seen it, and not ever mentioned anything at all.
    When folks tell me I'm doing wrong by open carrying.. whether that be that I can't.. or I can't in the way I'm doing it... or that I can't where I happen to be... or I have to have a concealed permit and then I have to conceal......................... I just hand them a print out of the pertinent Michigan laws, the actual laws themselves, and suggest they read them for a better understanding of what is legal and what isn't.

If that doesn't satisfy them I simply tell them that if they think I'm committing a crime to call a cop. That happened once in a local park and the look on the woman's face when the cop showed up and explained I was legal and there wasn't anything she could do about it was...................... priceless.

Shoobee is offline Banned

... 3 points ... front back and side ... good point.

I wonder where else that is a requirement for open carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    When folks tell me I'm doing wrong by open carrying.. whether that be that I can't.. or I can't in the way I'm doing it... or that I can't where I happen to be... or I have to have a concealed permit and then I have to conceal......................... I just hand them a print out of the pertinent Michigan laws, the actual laws themselves, and suggest they read them for a better understanding of what is legal and what isn't.

If that doesn't satisfy them I simply tell them that if they think I'm committing a crime to call a cop. That happened once in a local park and the look on the woman's face when the cop showed up and explained I was legal and there wasn't anything she could do about it was...................... priceless.
    This... I would have loved to have seen. Great job.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by roejay87 View Post
    The reason you're having a problem finding anything in Virginia law addressing open carry is because there isn't anything. Our laws are written to let you know what you cannot do, not what you can do. If there is no staute, it's legal. And because there are no statutes on open carry in Virginia, this mode of carry is the "normal" mode (read that as standard of default if you wish).

The gun does not have to be visible or seen when open carried. For example, if you were looking at a magazine rack and someone approached on your weak side, they would not see your OC'd handgun. Also, if you are in a restaurant and are sitting in a booth with your strong side against the wall, no one would be able to see your sidearm. And then there is driving. Passersby cannot see your sidearm unless they look inside of your vehicle. I all of these scenarios, you would be perfectly legal carrying openly. There is no such thing as a "three point" law. You were told wrong.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast