Last weekend in Vermont - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Last weekend in Vermont

This is a discussion on Last weekend in Vermont within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by golocx4 State law preempts Federal law. The Constitution preempts them both........

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    State law preempts Federal law.
    The Constitution preempts them both.....
    Leave me alone... and I will leave you alone....
    Don't poke a wolverine with a sharp stick unless you want your balls ripped off.
    Don't start nuthin, wont be nuthin..... (and dont wear pink panties on my property)

I love my home in Vermont!
    I am now just ONE STEP shy of the dark side, although i do visit it frequently!

I stand with Navy on this!

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    State law preempts Federal law.
    Civics 101 class. A state can make a law declaring something illegal that is legal at the Federal level. However, a state cannot make something legal that is prohibited by Federal law. The Federal National Firearms Act is a fine example. Can a state just pass a law that makes the manufacture and possession of new machine guns legal? NO. Or could Florida make Cuban cigars legal? NO.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

You have a 16 year old son and you are a Vietnam veteran? Get a late start with the family? :p

Whatever the law, I think it was pretty cool

I have a 15 year old and he loves to shoot my benelli tactical 12 ga.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Diealotz View Post
    You have a 16 year old son and you are a Vietnam veteran? Get a late start with the family? :p

Whatever the law, I think it was pretty cool

I have a 15 year old and he loves to shoot my benelli tactical 12 ga.
    Not a late start, but rather a great start.

Good response Boston

I got a late/great start with my youngest - he's 7.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Diealotz View Post
    Good response Boston

I got a late/great start with my youngest - he's 7.
    My oldest is 45, youngest is 14. I truly love being a father, although that love came later in my life---ah, well.

Just for the heck of it, I called a friend in Vermont to ask about this. He is a LEO near Burlington, and his answer was that an 18 year old can carry a handgun and a 16 year old can have a long gun in possession. But that the handgun at 18 applies only to Vermont residents. Adults from anywhere can carry in Vermont, but some places are not as open carry friendly as others. There's probably something in the state law section that would explain it better.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I called a friend in Vermont to ask about this. He is a LEO near Burlington, and his answer was that an 18 year old can carry a handgun and a 16 year old can have a long gun in possession. But that the handgun at 18 applies only to Vermont residents. Adults from anywhere can carry in Vermont, but some places are not as open carry friendly as others. There's probably something in the state law section that would explain it better.
    Maybe if you look in state law, you will get an ACCURATE answer, rather than a LEO's erroneous opinion. First, Vermont statute sets the possession age limit at 16, not 18. Second, Vermont statute makes no mention of being required to be a resident. What the Vermont statute does is set the lower age limit for possession of a handgun, which is possessed legally in accordance with the EXCEPTIONS contained in the Federal law. There is no lower age limit for possession of a handgun in accordance with the EXCEPTIONS contained in the Federal. Since Vermont does not want an 8 year old kid carrying a handgun while riding a tractor with written permission of his/her dad in their possession, which would be completely legal according to Federal law - Vermont law establishes the lower age limit at 16 - for residents and non-residents alike. However, handing a 16 year old child a handgun to strap on and carry in the convenience store in no way complies with any of the exceptions in Federal law and is still a violation of that Federal law.

Never ask LEO for legal advice. All you will get is the person's opinion of the phone, which is worth exactly the same as the opinions expressed here, which may, or may not agree with what the statute actually says. Have a nice day!

The Vermont Statutes Online

4007. Furnishing firearms to children
    A person, firm or corporation, other than a parent or guardian, who sells or furnishes to a minor under the age of 16 years a firearm or other dangerous weapon or ammunition for firearms shall be fined not more than $50.00 nor less than $10.00. This section shall not apply to an instructor or teacher who furnishes firearms to pupils for instruction and drill.

The Vermont Statutes Online

4008. Possession of firearms by children
    A child under the age of 16 years shall not, without the consent of his or her parents or guardian, have in his or her possession or control a pistol or revolver constructed or designed for the use of gunpowder or other explosive substance with leaden ball or shot. A child who violates a provision of this section shall be deemed a delinquent child under the provisions of chapter 52 of Title 33.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast