open carry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

open carry

This is a discussion on open carry within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Is there open carry in pa and ohio...

Blog Entries

Default open carry

Is there open carry in pa and ohio

Carry Maps

Yes and yes. What state are you from?
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

mmckee1952 is offline Banned

If your thinking about open carry you really might think twice about it and put in for a CCW permit because if you open carry you've put a big sign on you head saying "IF your going to hold up this place, shoot me first" Your telling that person who might be a deterant to his hold up. Although open carry is allowed it could be a really costly mistake if things go south really fast. Don't let ANYONE know your carring and you'll be better of in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by mmckee1952 View Post
    If your thinking about open carry you really might think twice about it and put in for a CCW permit because if you open carry you've put a big sign on you head saying "IF your going to hold up this place, shoot me first" Your telling that person who might be a deterant to his hold up. Although open carry is allowed it could be a really costly mistake if things go south really fast. Don't let ANYONE know your carring and you'll be better of in the long run.
    This is all fine and dandy if your the only one open carrying. We need more people open carrying and this will be less of an issue. If there are several people in the area that are open carrying then there will be a much less chance of the criminal element that would see it as advantageous to try anything.

Kinda like going into a police station and trying to rob them.
    Samuel Colt did more for equality in America than any civil rights activist.

Of course there pro and con to the "open carry" option. I do not agree with YOUR reason for not open carrying. I think most untrained Bad Guys are not going to count on their marksmanship and take a shot at you as a prelude to their robbery scheme. Taken that idea to the extreme if they found a cop or two in a place they wanted to rob they would just open fire on them instead of moving on to another place to rob.
    Having said that I am more of a "don't ask don't tell" guy.
    Now onto the first question of the OP. Open carry is legal. in Pa. If you decide to open carry it would still be advisable you get a carry permit because once you sit inside your vehicle that weapon is considered concealed. Your options would then be, walk everywhere, take your gun off and remove the mag and empty the mag or break the law and risk the consequences. The carry permit eliminates these problems whether you open carry or not.
    NRA Life Member

Default open carry

I don't think a bad guy going into a gas station or giant eagle going to shoot someone for some cash they wouldn't notice your weapon . I live in Cleveland Ohio and I open carry and not often do people notice my gun a few here and there

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    This is all fine and dandy if your the only one open carrying. We need more people open carrying and this will be less of an issue. If there are several people in the area that are open carrying then there will be a much less chance of the criminal element that would see it as advantageous to try anything.

Kinda like going into a police station and trying to rob them.
    Be less of an issue? There is no issue now, so how could something be less of nothing?

Mmckee is pushing a fear mongering agenda, normal for a large portion of concealed carriers, we don't just need more open carriers, we need less concealed carriers who refer to Brady campaign strategies.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Of course there pro and con to the "open carry" option. I do not agree with YOUR reason for not open carrying. I think most untrained Bad Guys are not going to count on their marksmanship and take a shot at you as a prelude to their robbery scheme. Taken that idea to the extreme if they found a cop or two in a place they wanted to rob they would just open fire on them instead of moving on to another place to rob.
    Having said that I am more of a "don't ask don't tell" guy.
    Now onto the first question of the OP. Open carry is legal. in Pa. If you decide to open carry it would still be advisable you get a carry permit because once you sit inside your vehicle that weapon is considered concealed. Your options would then be, walk everywhere, take your gun off and remove the mag and empty the mag or break the law and risk the consequences. The carry permit eliminates these problems whether you open carry or not.
    Referring to the part I bolded, if a person wishes to carry in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, concealed or open, a LTCF or similar is required, because you are now transporting. Not because it is now "considered concealed". This is a myth, and appears nowhere in the PA Uniform Firearms Act, or anywhere else... except forum posts.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Show me the facts. Provide cites to actual incidents where the open carrier was "shot first".

Bear in mind that open carry has been practiced by many people just in one State, Arizona, for decades... yes decades! representing thousands of open carry hours by a multitude of people in a plethora of places........ so it should be super easy for you to find a whole bunch of actual incidents with just a simple 'net search. And, if what you are stating is an actual fact worthy of even mentioning, it should be easy to find ..... HUNDREDS! .... of for real researchable incidents just in media accounts alone since if open carriers were being "shot first" it would be all over the news...

But it isn't all over the news now is it?

I challenge you, and everyone else who has the "Yer gonna get shot first!!!" mentality to....

PROVE IT.

At least prove it to yourself before spouting it as a fact to others.

Don't let ANYONE know your carring and you'll be better of in the long run.
    Wow. You have quite the crystal ball there, predicting everyone's future. Why would a criminal choose a target that they KNOW has the capability to kill them, because they can see that capability hanging on their belt, when they can wait 2 minutes for the guy with the gun to leave, or go down the street one block and choose a target that is not showing the capability to kill them? 99.5% of the population of this country do not visibly show the means to kill a criminal in the commission of their crime, why is it such a popular belief that so many criminals out there are anxious to turn a simple robbery into an attempted murder charge when there is such a large percentage of targets available not visibly armed?

So, mmckee1952, you have probably been alive for 60 years? In your 60 years of life experience, can you show us one instance where Joe Citizen openly carrying a firearm was shot first in a robbery in real life?
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast