Open carry confrontations
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree705Likes

Open carry confrontations

This is a discussion on Open carry confrontations within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I have been reading posts from people who legally open carry and get into a confrontation with businesses. I would ...

Default Open carry confrontations

I have been reading posts from people who legally open carry and get into a confrontation with businesses. I would compare them to a woman whose attire leaves little to nothing to the imagination and then complains about the “unwanted” attention. It is my opinion that both are saying, “Hey, look at me!”
    Businesses are places where businesspeople earn a living for themselves and their families. The businessperson may be a gun rights advocate, but must protect his business and his livelihood when his customers object or are uncomfortable knowing a firearm is in their midst. How would you feel if someone threatened your families’ livelihood? I know I would not be happy about it.
    I do not ever plan on OC. It has not happened as yet, but if any business objects to my CC I will respect their right to make a living. I will not be belligerent, confrontational or vocal about it. If they are polite I will just leave. But if they are in my face, I will politely inform them that I am sorry but I will take my business elsewhere.
    This part may step on some toes but I do not know how to say it other than being blunt. Anyone, while standing up for their gun rights, who would be confrontational, belligerent and loudly vocal may not have the proper temperament to carry a firearm. I would agree that we should always stand up for our gun rights. But I do not think the way to do it is to make a scene in public. The only thing that is proven that way is that there are some people who should not have a firearm. The Left is trying to make hay out of the Trayvon Martin case. We do not need a couple of hotheads pouring gasoline onto the fire.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Grow some balls please.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

I agree for the most part. Outside of work (I am a security guard who openly carries while on the job) I only carry concealed, and carrying concealed has never resulted in any of the confrontations that open carriers routinely report. Also, no one is forcing you to patronize a particular business; either respect its rules, carry concealed, or go elsewhere if you don't agree with its policies.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I agree for the most part. Outside of work (I am a security guard who openly carries while on the job) I only carry concealed, and carrying concealed has never resulted in any of the confrontations that open carriers routinely report. Also, no one is forcing you to patronize a particular business; either respect its rules, carry concealed, or go elsewhere if you don't agree with its policies.
    Carrying concealed into an establishment that has a no gun sign is not respecting the rules. In reality it's flat out disrespectful.

For every open carrier "routinely" getting into these situations, there's 1000 concealed carriers using their guns in self defense against an attack. I'd rather take the rare occurrence of being asked to leave, than to be chosen as a victim.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on it even though it does not come close to the reality of my experience. Attitude determines outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Grow some balls please.
    How does someone having an opinion about not open carrying and advocating kind and courteous behavior equate to "Not having balls"?
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    I have been reading posts from people who legally open carry and get into a confrontation with businesses. I would compare them to a woman whose attire leaves little to nothing to the imagination and then complains about the “unwanted” attention. It is my opinion that both are saying, “Hey, look at me!”
    Businesses are places where businesspeople earn a living for themselves and their families. The businessperson may be a gun rights advocate, but must protect his business and his livelihood when his customers object or are uncomfortable knowing a firearm is in their midst. How would you feel if someone threatened your families’ livelihood? I know I would not be happy about it.
    I do not ever plan on OC. It has not happened as yet, but if any business objects to my CC I will respect their right to make a living. I will not be belligerent, confrontational or vocal about it. If they are polite I will just leave. But if they are in my face, I will politely inform them that I am sorry but I will take my business elsewhere.
    This part may step on some toes but I do not know how to say it other than being blunt. Anyone, while standing up for their gun rights, who would be confrontational, belligerent and loudly vocal may not have the proper temperament to carry a firearm. I would agree that we should always stand up for our gun rights. But I do not think the way to do it is to make a scene in public. The only thing that is proven that way is that there are some people who should not have a firearm. The Left is trying to make hay out of the Trayvon Martin case. We do not need a couple of hotheads pouring gasoline onto the fire.
    Here in Florida, open carry is not allowed under Chapter 790.053 of the Florida Statutes. However, I don't know that I would carry openly even if it were allowed. What would be the benefit to me or anyone else? I've carried concealed for 12 years now with no drama. Why would I want to invite drama into my life by carrying openly even if it were allowed?

Great post, Vern.

Open carry when you are in a civilian position, and out of uniform, is kind of stupid anyway, I think. Because You can create a justifiable panic among the consumers of the establishment You are in just with the sight of a gun in public. especially with all the media coverage of the mass shootings that have happened lately. plus you give any robber, or unknowing police officer, a FIRST target. I would reccomend to always cc to avoid panicking the public, and removing Your element of surprise in a defensive situation.

kwimby is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tripletap View Post
    How does someone having an opinion about not open carrying and advocating kind and courteous behavior equate to "Not having balls"?
    Because that would be denigrating the gratification self-proclaimed hard-asses get from demonstrating their ballsiness with bad behavior backed up by an ersatz phallus displayed on their hip for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen John Hausken View Post
    Open carry when you are in a civilian position, and out of uniform, is kind of stupid anyway, I think. Because You can create a justifiable panic among the consumers of the establishment You are in just with the sight of a gun in public. especially with all the media coverage of the mass shootings that have happened lately. plus you give any robber, or unknowing police officer, a FIRST target. I would reccomend to always cc to avoid panicking the public, and removing Your element of surprise in a defensive situation.
    So you think people doing something LEGAL deserve to be harassed because there are some in society who fear firearms? By this logic you also think it is ok to call the police and have the group of black guys walking towards you on a public street should also be stopped and harassed because someone had a irrational fear of them.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast