open carry in Indiana
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree11Likes

open carry in Indiana

This is a discussion on open carry in Indiana within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I have a lifetime concealed carry permit in Indiana can I open carry or do I need another permit?...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default open carry in Indiana

    I have a lifetime concealed carry permit in Indiana can I open carry or do I need another permit?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mason, MI, USA
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Indiana has only one permit that I know of other than a difference in duration. So yes, you can OC on your lifetime permit.

    Actually, there are two types, one is a hunting an target license, the other is a personal protection permit. And if you look at the top of your license, it should say, "License to Carry Handgun. I'm pretty sure the word "concealed" is not on there.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  3. #3
    jpr
    jpr is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    The state of Indiana issues a license to carry and does not specify so you may carry open or concealed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    The state of Indiana issues a license to carry and does not specify so you may carry open or concealed.
    Thank you for the information.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I'm from Indiana and have their lifetime license. I have asked several LEO's and some attorney's this question and they told me open carry is permitted but highly frowned upon due to the many gun-haters that will report you doing something wrong. And then the police will show up and ask you politely to show your permit and then when they realize you are a permit holder, they will then ask you to cover the weapon. This has happened in my town and also know of several friends that have encountered this situation in other cities.

    If you are in the country, the police tell me there is no problem but in town, it is highly advisable to cover up.

  6. #6
    Firefighterchen's Avatar
    Firefighterchen is online now OC for Tactical Advantage
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    4,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickk1 View Post
    I'm from Indiana and have their lifetime license. I have asked several LEO's and some attorney's this question and they told me open carry is permitted but highly frowned upon due to the many gun-haters that will report you doing something wrong. And then the police will show up and ask you politely to show your permit and then when they realize you are a permit holder, they will then ask you to cover the weapon. This has happened in my town and also know of several friends that have encountered this situation in other cities.

    If you are in the country, the police tell me there is no problem but in town, it is highly advisable to cover up.
    As a general response to everyone:

    A permit is the infringement the 2A tries to protect from...the permission slip is just the first step in "appropriate, acceptable, and reasonable" control over people, followed by "advisable" and "frowned upon" hollow excuses to completely conform society.

    If this is the case, I would tell them to educate the public when they call in. If you are too afraid or for whatever reason you don't exercise your right to open carry, you have all lost your 2A right. They used to say that same thing for people in Washington and Michigan, until people got fed up with being bullied for having their firearms, so a bunch of people started an open carry movement. I no longer have to worry about the anti gun call in as the police all have been retrained in my area.

    If your not breaking the law they do not have to respond, if they respond, it's their choice, they can leave for another call at any time. Know your laws, understand your laws, and follow your laws no more and no less.

    For example, here in Washington, they can not demand ID or my permit if I have not broken the law. Check to see if that's the same in Indiana, and if you do not have to identify yourself, I advise you to not ID yourself. Then remain silent until they leave you alone. Give them an inch, and they will take a mile. Remember, everything you say can and will be used against you, but not for you. Everything is a fishing expedition, that's their job, to find something wrong. Know your Rights, know your right, and remain silent.

    Oh, and get a recorder (audio and/or video) for your own protection, just to be safe.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9

    Default

    i have alot of friends that are leo's and i know they are under alot of pressure all the time. i want their jobs to be less stressful so they can perform their duties safer and quicker. i'd rather cover my weapon and not give them unnecessary headaches than to worry about my 2a. there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.

    i have several friends that have the indiana lifetime license and to me, they never should have gotten them. none of them have ever fired a gun let alone know how to determine if it is empty or loaded. i took several of them to the local range and handed them an empty pistol and told them i wanted to watch them shoot. they raised the pistol and pulled the trigger. nothing happened. they did not understand why. they looked confused. i told them they have an automatic single-action pistol. they looked at me bewildered again and tried once more to pull the trigger. i asked them if they had ever fired a pistol and they said they had seen them in movies and in magazines but had never held one let alone fired one. i then showed them how to cock it. i told them this was necessary to shoot the weapon. they cocked it and pulled the trigger. nothing happened...no bang...the hammer went down but nothing happened. they looked at me confused again. i finally told them the guns were empty...not loaded. then i handed them 1 cartridge each and i told them to load it into the magazine. i watched them for nearly 10 minutes and they were still trying to figure out how to load it.

    education and training. this is why i firmly believe anyone wanted to be able to carry whether open or concealed must go thru a training process.

    and to think...there are alot of morons carrying weapons that should not be carrying them. if you want to carry openly, become a leo. otherwise, i feel that you're inviting trouble for carrying openly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mason, MI, USA
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickk1 View Post
    i have a lot of friends that are leo's and i know they are under alot of pressure all the time. i want their jobs to be less stressful so they can perform their duties safer and quicker. i'd rather cover my weapon and not give them unnecessary headaches than to worry about my 2a. there are a lot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.
    That certainly explains a few things. I agree that education and training are important but, not as a requirement that infringes on my right to keep and bear arms. And to be honest, unless your friends are approaching everyone they encounter, as though they might be armed, then they need to find a new line of work. I know a lot of LEOs too, and most of them tell me, what they like about OCers, is they know right up front, they're armed. No guess work, no wondering involved. And usually, not much of an "encounter."

    (The license/permit is an infringement too, but that's for another conversation.)
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  9. #9
    Firefighterchen's Avatar
    Firefighterchen is online now OC for Tactical Advantage
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    4,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickk1 View Post
    i have alot of friends that are leo's and i know they are under alot of pressure all the time. i want their jobs to be less stressful so they can perform their duties safer and quicker. i'd rather cover my weapon and not give them unnecessary headaches than to worry about my 2a. there are alot of morons carrying weapons and we have our politicians to thank for this. education and training are important tools and they should be requirements to receive permits.

    i have several friends that have the indiana lifetime license and to me, they never should have gotten them. none of them have ever fired a gun let alone know how to determine if it is empty or loaded. i took several of them to the local range and handed them an empty pistol and told them i wanted to watch them shoot. they raised the pistol and pulled the trigger. nothing happened. they did not understand why. they looked confused. i told them they have an automatic single-action pistol. they looked at me bewildered again and tried once more to pull the trigger. i asked them if they had ever fired a pistol and they said they had seen them in movies and in magazines but had never held one let alone fired one. i then showed them how to cock it. i told them this was necessary to shoot the weapon. they cocked it and pulled the trigger. nothing happened...no bang...the hammer went down but nothing happened. they looked at me confused again. i finally told them the guns were empty...not loaded. then i handed them 1 cartridge each and i told them to load it into the magazine. i watched them for nearly 10 minutes and they were still trying to figure out how to load it.

    education and training. this is why i firmly believe anyone wanted to be able to carry whether open or concealed must go thru a training process.

    and to think...there are alot of morons carrying weapons that should not be carrying them. if you want to carry openly, become a leo. otherwise, i feel that you're inviting trouble for carrying openly.
    It's sad when someone else's "head ache" means more to you than your 2a...especially when it's that person's job to be cautious with everyone they approach. Do you feel the same way about your other rights? Free speech, freedom of religion, freedom to assemble and petition, protection against unreasonable search and seizure, due process, protection against self incrimination...would you give those up to make an LEO's job easier?

    How much education and training do you have? I guess it doesn't matter, because I feel you will never have enough, so you shouldn't carry either. That's what we are after right? Control over other people based on our own elitism?

    We are supposed to be the land of the free. If you wish to dictate others actions, maybe America isn't the right place.

    Funny, I have never invited trouble by open carrying, nor has trouble found me...where do you get your feelings from? Have you had trouble open carrying personally? Or just passing on the fear mongering?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    35

    Default

    As an Indiana resident with a license to carry, I do choose to open carry from time to time. First of all its more comfortable and less restricting on what I need to wear in order to conceal. Second of all I think people will become more comfortable and less likely to freak out and call the cops when they see more responsible citizens carrying firearms. The one person I have seen OC was in Indianapolis (lived at same apartment complex) apparently he had no problems or didnt care because I never saw him with out his gun. Now living in the Lafayette area I have not had an issue although I do not open carry all the time.
    Indiana residents should definitely get out and take advantage of this right that we have to open carry (although be warned, people stare)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •