Open Carry at Wal*Mart
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Open Carry at Wal*Mart

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322

    Open Carry at Wal*Mart

    I open carried at Wal*Mart today, not for any particular reason except that I took off my jacket because it had warmed up. I felt just a bit out of place but quickly got used to it. When all was said and done and we finished at the check out, the checker said to me something to the effect that she hoped I was in the store if someone went "postal." I said, "Thanks, but I hope that never happens." She agreed. That conversation made me feel good. I wished I'd thought faster on my feet and asked her why she wasn't carrying? I wonder if the Wal*Mart employees here in Pahrump are prohibited from carrying? I'll have to ask her next time I see her.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I open carried at Wal*Mart today, not for any particular reason except that I took off my jacket because it had warmed up. I felt just a bit out of place but quickly got used to it. When all was said and done and we finished at the check out, the checker said to me something to the effect that she hoped I was in the store if someone went "postal." I said, "Thanks, but I hope that never happens." She agreed. That conversation made me feel good. I wished I'd thought faster on my feet and asked her why she wasn't carrying? I wonder if the Wal*Mart employees here in Pahrump are prohibited from carrying? I'll have to ask her next time I see her.
    For all we know she could have been CC'n. Most businesses frown upon employees OC'n even when legal. Gotta remember that "anti gun" folks shop in stores too.


    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,646
    Glad to see that you had such a pleasant experience. Its nice to know that there still are places you can go in this country to exercise your rights however you choose and not have to worry about some hysterical anti calling the police about it.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    For all we know she could have been CC'n. Most businesses frown upon employees OC'n even when legal. Gotta remember that "anti gun" folks shop in stores too.


    gf
    I agree with your first and last statements. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I don't know that most businesses frown on oc. I would think that's the case, but I don't know for sure. Because of your profession, you probably study stats like that more than I do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I agree with your first and last statements. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I don't know that most businesses frown on oc. I would think that's the case, but I don't know for sure. Because of your profession, you probably study stats like that more than I do.

    My opinion on most businesses frowning upon OC is from talking to various business owners. Only businesses that I found that are "OC friendly" are gun shops and sometimes pawn shops. The general consensus is that they don't want to "offend" or "scare" customers, hence the OC prohibition. I'd say that OC in a gun shop is a safe bet, beause if a customer is "offended" by OC, then it's highly unlikely that they'll be entering a gun shop anytime soon.

    As a business owner, I understand the importance of not "scaring" off any customers. I don't necessarily agree with having to CC, but I do understand that with the way the economy is, retaining customers may be the difference between staying in business and going out of business.


    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    244
    Here in VA, alot of businesses (which unfortunately is allowed by state laws due to private property clause) do not allow carry as an employee. Sad really. Hope nobody tries to rob them

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    As a business owner, I understand the importance of not "scaring" off any customers. I don't necessarily agree with having to CC, but I do understand that with the way the economy is, retaining customers may be the difference between staying in business and going out of business.


    gf
    Is there really any evidence to show that OC scares customers? Maybe in a PR it would, but states that already allow it are probably not full of antis to begin with. You might well get more customers who know they can OC, than ones that would be scared off by them.

    I also don't understand how people can immediately write off people they see OCing as not being LEOs. I've seen cops wearing polo shirts and khakis carrying. They aren't obviously any different from anyone else, until they get in their car.

    By the way...who in the world has nothing better to do than get worked up over someone carrying a gun safely holstered at their side? It's not the usual practice of armed robbers to invest in a quality holster to wear out in public. They seem to prefer "Mexican" carry (shove it in your waistband), and are probably felons anyway, so a gang member wearing a firearm would be like a giant flashing arrow for any nearby cops.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ohio
    Posts
    759
    Blog Entries
    10

    CC became OC with Bad Results

    Our local K Mart allowed CC until one of their CC customers dropped his pistol while eating lunch in the lunch area and it discharged.

    There were no charges filed on the CC cutomer.

    The next day all the doors were posted with do not carry signs.

    A couple weeks ago I stopped at K Mart and was surprised the signs have been removed.

    I expect the employees felt safer with CC customers around than without.

    Debray

  9. #9
    JB
    "Active Member Of My Neighborhood Watch Pistol Team"
    Montana Gun Owners

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMontana View Post
    I need this on a business card. Great sign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •