Interesting observation. I always thoiught we were supposed to be the governemnt. I think the government is at war with itself and we are the spoils of that war. Crips (Dems) and Bloods (GOP). Nothing short of a mob mentality where the 51% of people take away the rights of the other 49%. The cost of this war was destined to strip Americans of freedom, erasing those truths we hold to be self-evident. John Adams argued strenuously against political parties saying that someday they would cease representing the people, instead representing the interests of the party. I sense the man is tuning over in his grave today.