Another Infringement on our rights.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Another Infringement on our rights.

  1. Another Infringement on our rights.

    This is ridicules. I bring a gun every time I go to a movie.

    http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-new-haven-theater-gunman-0809-2-20120808,0,6143955.story

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    166
    loved the mayor's line "just because something is legal, doesn't make it right".... umm.. what?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    This is not an infringment on your rights. This is not a public place. A movie theter is private property owned by a corporation who may set this policy. They are not infringing your rights as you're free to go elsewhere. No one carries a gun on any property belonging to me. I don't know you so you disarm or leave.. Failure to do so gets you a criminal trespass charge. Don't like it? Take the business elsewhere. You have no "right" to be there. This has been repeatedly argued in the courts with the same result. Thank God I live in a country where my rights as a property owner are upheld.

    However, if the theater doesn't post a sign they should just ask him to disarm or leave. Calling the police is extreme. He didn't break the law unless he refused to disarm or leave after being asked. I believe the arrest was a poor example of LE understanding the law.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    This is not an infringment on your rights. This is not a public place. A movie theter is private property owned by a corporation who may set this policy. They are not infringing your rights as you're free to go elsewhere. No one carries a gun on any property belonging to me. I don't know you so you disarm or leave.. Failure to do so gets you a criminal trespass charge. Don't like it? Take the business elsewhere. You have no "right" to be there. This has been repeatedly argued in the courts with the same result. Thank God I live in a country where my rights as a property owner are upheld.
    Problem in this case is that there were no signs on this property indicating he had to disarm. You or I as a carrying citizen can't be expected to know the wishes of a property owner if we're not told. He was arrested for Breech of peace... No firearms violation. I have a letter to the mayor of the city of New Haven Urging him to drop he charges. It is posted in another thread here. What you need to know about this city is that it has a crime index of 2, it had 34 homicides last year, and had had several shootings this year, one of which involved 3 off duty New Haven Police Officers who felt the need to pop off a few after drinking themselves stupid. This individual did NOTHING wrong here! It needs to be addressed and brought to the attention of the CT general assembly that open carrying is not a breech of peace!
    Guns.??? What Guns???

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    This is not an infringment on your rights. This is not a public place. A movie theter is private property owned by a corporation who may set this policy. They are not infringing your rights as you're free to go elsewhere. No one carries a gun on any property belonging to me. I don't know you so you disarm or leave.. Failure to do so gets you a criminal trespass charge. Don't like it? Take the business elsewhere. You have no "right" to be there. This has been repeatedly argued in the courts with the same result. Thank God I live in a country where my rights as a property owner are upheld.

    However, if the theater doesn't post a sign they should just ask him to disarm or leave. Calling the police is extreme. He didn't break the law unless he refused to disarm or leave after being asked. I believe the arrest was a poor example of LE understanding the law.

    +1. This is a free nation where property owners rights are upheld.

    You as a person can take your business where ever you choose. Personally, I try to frequent places which are Second Amendment friendly and supportive. I do have a problem with this man being criminally charged, especially if there was no sign saying "NO WEAPONS".

    Just my $.02

    -Capo
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Creswell, Oregon
    Posts
    3,865
    Wish it was true that private property rights were supported but that depends on the issue. If we are talking Americans with disabilities, private property rights go out the window. Don't get me wrong here. If a private business wishes to organize their business to make it more user friendly for the physically disabled, go for it. This should not be required by law. For a public building that's different. Not trying to go off topic just stating the facts.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

  8. #7
    and just because something is illegal don't mean it's wrong
    gun control is being able to hit your target

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    Problem in this case is that there were no signs on this property indicating he had to disarm. You or I as a carrying citizen can't be expected to know the wishes of a property owner if we're not told. He was arrested for Breech of peace... No firearms violation. I have a letter to the mayor of the city of New Haven Urging him to drop he charges. It is posted in another thread here. What you need to know about this city is that it has a crime index of 2, it had 34 homicides last year, and had had several shootings this year, one of which involved 3 off duty New Haven Police Officers who felt the need to pop off a few after drinking themselves stupid. This individual did NOTHING wrong here! It needs to be addressed and brought to the attention of the CT general assembly that open carrying is not a breech of peace!
    My bet is that this either gets dropped or he's found not guilty.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  10. #9
    The part that gets me is not only did the mayor say "Just because something is legal, it doesn't make it right" but he also insinuated that yelling FIRE! in a crowded theatre is somehow NOT illegal. I'm pretty sure that has been proved otherwise.

    Also, he's a total moron.
    Owner of Applied Perspective, specializing in laser engraving and fine art photography
    -or-
    Just some guy who loves to shoot

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by AppliedPerspective View Post
    The part that gets me is not only did the mayor say "Just because something is legal, it doesn't make it right" but he also insinuated that yelling FIRE! in a crowded theatre is somehow NOT illegal. I'm pretty sure that has been proved otherwise.

    Also, he's a total moron.
    Being a moron is legal, but it doesn't make it right. According to the mayor's logic, he too should be charged with creating a public nuisance. Book him!
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •