The NRA Continues To Compromise On The Second Amendment
While the GOA – Gun Owners of America, JPFO – Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, and a multitude of others have never compromised on the Second Amendment; much to this authors dismay the NRA unbelievably continues to compromise on the Second Amendment, while continuing to put their hand out for financial contributions from those that feel NO COMPROMISE on the Second Amendment or the Constitution is acceptable…
Talk about a Judas…
The NRA Supported the National Firearms Act of 1934, In fact, they've supported gun rights infringements "since...1871."
"The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871."
—NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth
NRA's American Rifleman Magazine, March 1968, P. 22
A few of the more heinous compromises of the NRA in recent history are:
- Continued failure to seek repeal of 1934 NFA, 1968 GCA, 1986 FOPA, Brady Bill(s) (Including NICS Act).
- Failure to follow through with their promise that repealing the Hughes Amendment to the FOPA 1986 will be a high-priority. Moreover, public education on the Constitutionally Protected lawful ownership of Full-Auto and other NFA/Class III firearms.
- E.G.: Following the unconstitutional 1986 Class III weapons ban...
Wayne LaPierre stated, "Repealing the machine gun amendment...will be a high priority," and promised the NRA's members that the organization would "actively work toward the repeal of the recent machine gun ban and will take all necessary steps to educate the public on the sporting uses and legal ownership of automatic firearms."
They have not done diddly in over two-decades…
- Endorsement of the original NICS Act. (The Brady Bill) – Arm in Arm with Chuck Schumer, Diane Feinstein, Ted Kennedy, and Sarah Brady… WTF?
- It is long past time for lawyers and others to speak about the true meaning of the amendment. In an interview with Charlayne Hunter-Gault on The MacNeil/Lehrer Newshour on December 16, 1991, former United States Chief Justice Warren Burger stated that the Second Amendment "has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word 'fraud' on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime."  He continued, "they (the NRA) have mislead the American people."  The gun control debate is difficult enough without entering false issues into it. : Battle Over the Brady Bill
- Endorsement of the NICS Improvement Act of 2007.
Here is a statement from the Gun Owners of America:
“When the NRA and Chuck Schumer (D-NY) agree, that tells you it’s something worth doing,” Schumer said. — The Associated Press, September 26, 2007
The quote above explains the problem we are facing. Both sides of the gun control debate — with the exception of Gun Owners of America and many pro-gun groups at the state level — are supporting the Veterans Disarmament Act (HR 2640).
- Failure to support the 10th Amendment Initiative, AKA: Firearms Freedom Act(s).
September 2009 American Hunter NRA Official Journal of the National Rifle Association: Special Report By Chris W. Cox NRA-ILA Executive Director p17-18. “Firearms Freedom Act” One issue that’s received a lot of publicity is the “Firearms Freedom Act” – state legislation that tries to exempt firearms, ammunition and accessories from federal regulation, as long as the gun or other item is made in a single state, for use only in that state. This legislation was enacted this year in Montana and Tennessee, and proposed elsewhere. The idea behind the legislation is to challenge federal gun laws in court. While reducing federal controls worthy goal, this kind of litigation faces major obstacles – mainly because the Supreme Court has given Congress a very long leash when it comes to activities that could affect interstate commerce. (For example just four years ago, the Supreme Court held that the federal government could still enforce federal drug laws against Californians who grow their own marijuana for medical use.) Because of these issues the NRA will continue to focus on the other kinds of pro-gun legislation described in these pages. An even more important point is that no one should try to take advantage of the Montana or Tennessee “Firearms Freedom Acts” without consulting a competent attorney and being prepared to pay large legal fees. Anyone makes firearms commercially, without complying with federal law, is likely to be prosecuted. “Firearm Freedom Act” supporters have never planned to test these laws in criminal cases, and no one who puts himself in that situation should expect support from the NRA.
This is simply spineless, I have discussed the FFA at length with the individual in Montana whom wrote it and they DO plan to test it in federal court ASAP. While I adamantly disagree with the way the Montana & Tennessee Firearms Freedom Acts are written; because they themselves compromise that the NFA, GCA, FOPA, NICS and other federal infringements still apply; and that as written it could simply be trading Federal Firearm Infringement for State Firearm Infringement; it’s a significant step in the right direction; towards the abolishment of infringement pre-existing, fundamental, unalienable rights, re-affirmed by the Constitution and the Second Amendment…
For those that do not know the history of the NRA’s Second Amendment compromises; this is the Benedict Arnold approach; when it looked like he was going to end up on the losing side; instead of digging in and saying hell-no, like we did at Lexington & Concord and elsewhere; Benedict Arnold played both sides of the fence until he could no longer and was ultimately chased out of the country with his tail between his legs.
Inviting Anti-Second Amendment Record Politicians to speak on behalf of Second Amendment support at NRA conferences… Such hypocrites include but are not limited to:
- Governor Willard Slick-Mitt Romney (R-MA).
- Senator Fred Thompson (R-GA).
- Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC).
- Failing to oppose and condemn other Obama Anti-Constitution & Anti-Second Amendment record nominees, and their Senate confirmations thereof. (Besides Sotomayor)
NRA Sells Out, Helps Pass Massive Brady Gun Control Expansion
By Gun Owners of America , A No-Compromise Gun Rights Organization - June 14, 2009
-- Deal between NRA leadership and Democrats leaves Republicans in the dark --
Wednesday started out as a routine day in the U.S. Congress, with Representatives attending congressional hearings, meeting with constituents, perhaps devising clever new ways to pick our pockets.
At 8:30 in the morning an email went out to House Republicans indicating that a gun control bill, recently introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), was on the Suspension Calendar (normally reserved for "non-controversial" bills).
Many Representatives didn't see that email until it was too late. Less than three hours later, the bill passed by a voice vote. The bill in question, H.R. 2640, is a massive expansion of the Brady Gun Control law, the subject of many previous alerts by Gun Owners of America.
Its passage in the House is a case study in backroom deal making, unholy alliances and deceit. A sausage factory in a third world country with no running water has nothing on today's U.S. Congress.
- For Those Still Believing In The NRA Or The Tooth Fairy
By Michael Gaddy October 15,2003:
Millions of Americans have joined the NRA, send money for dues and are solicited many times each year for donations to assist with the legal rights of gun owners-- or so they say. Well, they are paying their lawyers all right, but not to defend the rights of those they claim to represent.
On October 8th, in a case before the District of Columbia Federal Court, NRA attorney Stephen Halbrook made the following statements to the Court in response to the Judge claiming the right of government to place restrictions on the right to bear arms.
“YOUR HONOR, WE ARE HERE WANTING TO REGISTER HANDGUNS. WE ARE NOT HERE WANTING UNRESTRICTED ACCESS. WE'RE NOT HERE ASKING TO CARRY THEM, OTHER THAN IN THE HOME.
Later in the proceedings there was this exchange.
“THE COURT: YOU'RE SAYING THAT THE GOVERNMENT CAN IMPOSE REASONABLE RESTRICTIONS?
MR. HALBROOK: YES, YOUR HONOR. YES, YOUR HONOR.”
- For many years the NRA has been selling us out to the government. They have supported every restriction government could concoct to limit the right of citizens of this country to own and carry firearms. I documented this fact in an article over two years ago. Republished here… NRA: Pro Second or Government Lapdogs? Price of Liberty
- Not so long ago I was having an email exchange with a writer at another site on the subject of the NRA sell out. I was amazed when this former law enforcement officer, who claims the Second Amendment is the “backbone” of freedom, said he would continue to support the NRA because they have a good youth education program (Eddie Eagle) and you had to be a member to belong to most gun clubs. Hey, Idiot, what damn good is that going to be when we can no longer own a firearm!
Folks, it is time to fish or cut bait. Without the right to own and carry firearms we are done. If you perchance are waiting for those freedom-loving Republicans to come to your aid, please send me a note from the gulag. At least the democrats tell you they are going to take your guns if they get the opportunity.
If you are standing around waiting on the "pretend to be Christian" to stand up for us by doing away with the assault weapons ban right before the election next year -- don’t forget to take your Prozac.
Just like the NRA, we give the government power by recognizing and supporting it. It then uses our money to make them more rich and powerful and to ultimately sell us out and enslave us.
Just keep voting and sending money to the turncoats like the NRA. Life as an unarmed slave will be your just reward.
Perhaps they will let you watch as your daughters and wives are sold to the highest bidder, but probably not, as you will not have been seen for several years if you are a threat to government as a former gun-rights zealot. Just can’t beat that "Patriot Act".
- Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a sure sign of insanity. – Albert Einstein.
- Don’t forget to put that tooth under your pillow!
- Is the blood shooting out of your eyeballs yet?
- Apparently the NRA believes that true supporters of the Second Amendment have A.D.D. like the Socialist Gun Ban Obama & Company supporters have…
I have been a lifetime member for decades, but I am sick and tired of the NRA’s COMPROMISE approach to their support of the Second Amendment. While I cannot take back the money I paid long ago for my lifetime membership, I certainly can stop flushing my Second Amendment support dollars down the NRA crapper…
Moreover, instead give those dollars to the GOA, JPFO, GONV, OathKeepers and others who still hold that the Second Amendment is non-negotiable…
I encourage all No-Compromise Supporters of the Constitution and Second Amendment as they were written and intended by our founding fathers to email, snail mail, telephone and fax the NRA – The National Rifle Association, to implore the NRA to cease and desist their Compromise approach to supporting the Second Amendment…
Or your Second Amendment support dollars will go elsewhere…