NC State of Emergency

NC State of Emergency

This is a discussion on NC State of Emergency within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban - Winston-Salem News Story - WXII The Triad Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, ...

Default NC State of Emergency

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban - Winston-Salem News Story - WXII The Triad

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban
    King State Of Emergency Lifted Monday
    POSTED: 5:18 pm EST February 6, 2010
    UPDATED: 2:42 pm EST February 8, 2010
    Email Print
    Comments (328)
    KING, N.C. -- Residents in King were fumed over the weekend after a state of emergency declaration restricted the sale of alcohol and the carrying of firearms in vehicles.

King Police Chief Paula May said she’s received hundreds of threats related to the restrictions, which banned driving from 12 a.m. Sunday to 5 a.m.

The state of emergency for King was declared by members of the City Council after Stokes County authorities also declared a state of emergency.

Under North Carolina law, May said, when a state of emergency is put into place that includes a ban on driving, the sale of alcohol and carrying of firearms in vehicles is also banned.

The news of the ban created a firestorm of criticism.

“This is absolutely the craziest thing I have ever heard. So far fetched that I am speechless!” one post on WXII12.com read.

“This has to be the most ridiculous event of the century!!!!! This is the ultimate denial of liberties for the most asinine reason...bad weather!!!” another poster wrote.

May -- who wouldn’t give details on the types of threats other than to say they had been phoned, faxed and e-mailed – said officers did pull people over who were in violation of the curfew driving ban, but no tickets were issued.

The state of emergency was lifted Monday morning.

I guess the Emergency was that is snowed????
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

NMHunter is offline NM Hunter

If the threats were mostly having to do with the next election I'm not surprized they wouldn't want to quote them.

Your quote attributed to Robert A. Heinlein should rightly go to Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain.

And THAT is how easy our rights can be "suspended"....

A Buffalo, New York mayor from some time ago, Jimmy Griffith, was well known for his response to a reporter asking what people should do while waiting for the roads to be cleared after a blizzard: "They should get a six-pack and stay home and drink iit."

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    If the threats were mostly having to do with the next election I'm not surprized they wouldn't want to quote them.

Your quote attributed to Robert A. Heinlein should rightly go to Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain.
    I've seen it attributed to both :-)
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

NMHunter is offline NM Hunter

Too, true both gentlemen are eminently quotable, and even though I admire Heinlein beyond contemplation, Clemens predates him by a goodly time.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfling68 View Post
    Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban - Winston-Salem News Story - WXII The Triad

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban
    King State Of Emergency Lifted Monday
    POSTED: 5:18 pm EST February 6, 2010
    UPDATED: 2:42 pm EST February 8, 2010
    Email Print
    Comments (328)
    KING, N.C. -- Residents in King were fumed over the weekend after a state of emergency declaration restricted the sale of alcohol and the carrying of firearms in vehicles.

King Police Chief Paula May said she’s received hundreds of threats related to the restrictions, which banned driving from 12 a.m. Sunday to 5 a.m.

The state of emergency for King was declared by members of the City Council after Stokes County authorities also declared a state of emergency.

Under North Carolina law, May said, when a state of emergency is put into place that includes a ban on driving, the sale of alcohol and carrying of firearms in vehicles is also banned.

The news of the ban created a firestorm of criticism.

“This is absolutely the craziest thing I have ever heard. So far fetched that I am speechless!” one post on WXII12.com read.

“This has to be the most ridiculous event of the century!!!!! This is the ultimate denial of liberties for the most asinine reason...bad weather!!!” another poster wrote.

May -- who wouldn’t give details on the types of threats other than to say they had been phoned, faxed and e-mailed – said officers did pull people over who were in violation of the curfew driving ban, but no tickets were issued.

The state of emergency was lifted Monday morning.

I guess the Emergency was that is snowed????
    The citisens of NC should file a 2nd amendenment suit against the Gov. for infringement on there rights