NEWS: N.C. Congressman Under Fire for Physical Confrontation With Man in Washington
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEWS: N.C. Congressman Under Fire for Physical Confrontation With Man in Washington

This is a discussion on NEWS: N.C. Congressman Under Fire for Physical Confrontation With Man in Washington within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Looks like the stress, from the current voter disapproval of "taxation without representation", is getting to this Congressman! If there ...

Default NEWS: N.C. Congressman Under Fire for Physical Confrontation With Man in Washington

Looks like the stress, from the current voter disapproval of "taxation without representation", is getting to this Congressman! If there is one thing that should never be done by a public figure, it is to lay a hand on anyone asking questions or even taking pictures/video.

YouTube - Rep. Etheridge Attacks Student @ Pelosi Fundraiser 2

A North Carolina congressman is under fire after a video surfaced Monday showing him in a physical confrontation with a young man on a street in Washington.
    FOXNews.com - N.C. Congressman Under Fire for Physical Confrontation With Man in Washington

Rep. Bob Etheridge, a Democrat, is seen in the amateur video grabbing the wrist and neck of the unidentified man after he approached the congressman and asked if he supported the "Obama agenda."

The video, posted to YouTube, shows the man, who appears to be in his early 20s and who identifies himself as a college student, approaching Etheridge on the sidewalk.

Etheridge is then seen trying to snatch a cell phone camera out of the student's hands. He then grabs the man's wrist and refuses to let go.

"Who are you!" the seventh-term congressman demands. "Tell me who you are ... I have a right to know who you are."

Another man, not seen on camera, then tells Etheridge, "We're just here for a project."

When the student asks Etheridge to "please let go of me," the congressman then grabs him by the neck.

In a statement Monday, National Republican Congressional Committee spokesman Jon Thompson said, "Bob Etheridge has lost it.

"His conduct is unbecoming of a member of Congress. It's bad enough that he's joined Obama's assault on North Carolina jobs, but his physical assault on a college student goes beyond the pale.”

A spokesman for Etheridge did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mike Flynn, a conservative blogger for biggovernment.com, wrote that the confrontation occurred last week outside a fundraiser headlined by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The video, which was posted to YouTube by "DCCameraGuy" on June 11, does not reveal the identity of the two men.

Etheridge, who has represented North Carolina’s 2nd congressional district since 1997, is running for re-election against Republican Renee Ellmers, a registered nurse, in November. Political observers have predicted that the 68-year-old congressman will likely hold on to his seat.

Etheridge, a so-called moderate Democrat, voted in favor of President Obama's health care overhaul legislation as well as the Democrat's cap and trade bill.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

mojo Guest

that student would have been totally justified in defending himself and decking that SOB!! Had it been me he would have been picking himself up off the pavement and next would have found himself in front of a judge on charges.
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    that student would have been totally justified in defending himself and decking that SOB!! Had it been me he would have been picking himself up off the pavement and next would have found himself in front of a judge on charges.
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!
    Got that right. Makes me want to get a camera, go to D.C., and see if I can get a Congress-crook to assault me. It'd be a good way to relieve some of the anger and frustation. I wouldn't even bring 'em up on charges; the pleasure of knocking them on their ass would be sufficient for me.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Judging from what happened in South Carolina last week, this kid will probably be arrested for assault on the Congressman. Matter of fact, I'm surprised he wasn't cuffed right there and then. Where are those D.C. cops when you need one?
    -= Piece Corps =-

Perhaps everyone should send an e-mail to his office asking for and explanation for this outrageous conduct.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Where are the pimp race whores like Sharpton and Jackson for his civil right, maybe he just act stupidly.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Just posting the obvious here, but here it goes.... Where is the media in all of this? If it had been a Republican, we'd see looped video all over the news reminiscent of the Rodney King tapes

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

Ethridge had a press conference to try to save face. He came hat in hand being all contrite. It was a dog and pony show. He was silently begging that this footage not be used against him in his next reelection bid.

It would be problematic to have the man arrested. There's an immunity of all Congresscritters that they cannot be arrested for any crime save those which would be the foundation of his fellow Congresscritters kicking him out of the club, at least while Congress is in session. These two fine, young assault victims would have to wait until COngress adjourns next and then get the DC DA to agree to file the assault charges. Take a wild guess how many DAs would be willing to file charges against a sitting Congressman for assaulting high school kids. Maybe if the assault happened while they were naked...

And yeah, if they defended themselves and put the Honorable Congressman on his ass, they would most definitely be arrested for assault, the video would have been "accidentally" destroyed, and their futures would be ruined.

The assault would have had to have happened right outside a free internet cafe and the camera would have had to be firewire compatible, and the kids would have to have a dozen or more accounts across the globe in order to get the video disseminated worldwide before the DC cops even showed up to the scene.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by jibbster View Post
    Just posting the obvious here, but here it goes.... Where is the media in all of this? If it had been a Republican, we'd see looped video all over the news reminiscent of the Rodney King tapes
    None of the mainstream media outlets will show that. At least FOX News ran it this morning..
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation The student should have responded loudly...

HELP ME...HELP ME...I'M BEING ATTACKED...I'M AFRAID FOR MY LIFE...DON'T TOUCH ME THERE...ETC
    and then should have taken the video to a personal defense attorney and OWNED THAT CONGRESSMAN.
    You can't beat the coverage. It just needed to be one of those things that the kid should get paid for. I'm glad he did not hit the congress man as was his legal right...the news would have spun it as an attack on the congressman.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast