Violence towards Census workers on the rise - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Violence towards Census workers on the rise

This is a discussion on Violence towards Census workers on the rise within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by Hyperjoe Thanks for costing the tax payer because you did not mail yours in I did send ...

Ektarr is offline Dedicated Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperjoe View Post
    Thanks for costing the tax payer because you did not mail yours in
    I did send my form in, Joe. Apparently the amount of information provided on the form was insufficient to satisfy them, so they sent their little emissary. But thank you for rolling over and giving them whatever they wanted and saving me the coin. I guess, since we're making assumptions about each other, that I can safely make that one, eh?
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperjoe View Post
    Thanks for costing the tax payer because you did not mail yours in
    I don't recall writing or indicating that I failed to send in a form. I provided as much information as I felt necessary on the form that I DID send back. They sent the census worker to visit me. I don't recall requesting one to come and visit.

Thanks for assuming you had all the facts before posting.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I got 2 letters, I ignored the 1st one but did mail the 2nd one. They sent someone anyway. I was pleasant but short.

Quote Originally Posted by jibbster View Post
    I think that 6Shooter was just doing his part to help the economy...if everyone sent in their forms, then the government wouldn't be able to employ those 635,000 Census workers, and that would have been more people added to the unemployment line
    Wow, I hadn't looked at it like that. Supporting my fellow Americans. Nice...

With regards to hyper Joe; perhaps he could get a government job as a fact checker.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

It always amazes me that the very same people that proclaim all the rights that they have under the Constitution then tell that same Constitution to go chase thyself when it doesn't suit some misguided belief that they have come up with due to not actually reading the thing. The guidelines for the census are spelled out in the U S Constitution and maybe if some of you would bother to read more than the second amendment you might realize that.

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

The Constitution for the United States of America, Article I, Section 2, Clause 3:
    Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of [s]free[/s] Persons, [s]including those bound to Service for a Term of Years,[/s] and excluding Indians not taxed, [s]three fifths of all other Persons[/s]. (As modified by the 14th Amendment, Section 2.) The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until suche numeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five and Georgia three.
    Actual Constitutional basis for the Census highlighted in bold. I see nothing there authorizing collection of demographic statistics. The Supreme Court of the United States was wrong in opining otherwise. The purpose of the Census is for apportionment of representation and direct taxes. Only the Manner of the enumeration, in modern parlance, how the performance of the Census is administrated, may be subject to Congressional law making.

As soon as I can figure out how to make the redacted text appear as strikethrough text, I'll edit this post. First try failed.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Violence against these people is uncalled for..
    It's like assaulting the person taking your order at McDonald's because corporate changed the "special sauce" on Big Macs..
    You can be nice and still refuse to provide information.. IF they become nasty, then just ask for their supervisor to contact you.

I'm wonder how many houses these Census workers are going to because of NO response to the census that are empty because of foreclosures, I'd bet a bunch!!!
    I sent in my response form within a week of receiving it. Got a letter in the mail about two weeks later saying that my response wasn't received. Sent a photocopy of my original form to the address on the original envelope, this time via express mail. Printed up a copy of the confirmation for my records.

Within the first few days of the "home visits", got a notice on my door saying that a census worker came with the contact number of the census worker. I called the number during the requested times that evening. First call resulted in a hang up. Called back a couple of minutes later. A male answered the phone (contact person was female). I requested to speak with the contact person and got a whole bunch of questions like "who is this?", "are you banging my girlfriend?", "what the f**k are you calling my girlfriend for?", etc. I politely maintained my composure and stated "I'm calling regarding a notice I received regarding the U.S. Census. The notice requested that I call this number between the hours of 5pm and 9pm. I would like to speak with [contact person]." The male increased the volume of his voice and said "I'm not gonna let you speak to my chick, I think you're ********* her!", then hung up. I called back about an hour later (approx. 10 minutes before 9pm). This time a female answered the phone. I asked to speak with [contact person's name]. The person verified that it was her. I asked to verify the ID number left on the notice left at my residence. After a "huh, what are you talking about?", I explained that there was an ID number written on the form. She was able to provide the same number corresponding to the one on my form. I advised her that I mailed in the form twice and offered the USPS Express Mail confirmation number. She took the number and advised that US Census records do not show that my form was received. I asked her what was the best way to rectify the situation. She said she'll ask me a few questions and it will take less than 10 minutes. I answered the questions and she said that she would note that my form was complete, and no further home visits will be conducted.

The next day I get home to find another notice to contact the census worker (same person, different phone number). This time the times listed for contact were different (9am - 5pm). I called the following morning around 10am. Went through the same verification process and she told me that she wasn't sure who completed the form, so she re-visited all homes that were listed as "incomplete". She said that if I was willing to give her the info again, it would take less than 10 minutes. I told her that I was uncomfortable giving her my info again being that I mailed the form twice, called once, and got very bad treatment when I attempted calling the first two times the previous evening (which was explained the day before). She said that a home visit will be conducted if I don't provide the info and I would be in violation of FEDERAL LAW (which she made a point to emphasize). I asked if there was a supervisor I could speak with. She said "yes you can, but expect to be contacted by law enforcement agents for possible federal prosecution". I said "If that's what it's gonna take, then so be it. I'd like to speak with a supervisor as I don't think you're competent to handle my sensitive personal information." She said "You're an IDIOT and UNAMERICAN!" and hung up.

I contacted the supervisor the following day and expressed my frustration and discussed my experience. The supervisor took my name and info and promised to call back by the end of the business day. I received a call back a few hours later. The supervisor told me that the reason for the repeat home visit was due to inconsistencies with the two forms I sent in. I asked how can that be when the second form was a photocopy of the first one and labeled accordingly (wrote "PHOTOCOPY OF ORIGINAL FORM" in bold letters at the top of the form as well as the envelope it was sent in. The supervisor said "That's strange, because our system shows that you reported a different number of people living at your residence." I went over the form line by line with the supervisor and let him give me the answers that I had previously submitted. After going over the form, and having the same info, I told him that they need to get their act together. He told me "There are millions of home visits they need to conduct, so there's bound to be some errors in the process." I asked "How can that be when there is barely over a million people living in the state of Hawaii. I'm sure that there are more than one person living in many of the households that you supposedly have to visit.". The supervisor got testy with me and said "If you don't want to cooperate, that's YOUR choice and YOU WILL be dealt with accordingly." I asked "what's that supposed to mean?" He responded "You WILL be visited by federal law enforcement agents and WILL be arrested AND prosecuted." I told him "I just gave you and the censeless bureau the same info for the 4th time. If you want to prosecute me, have the federal agents contact my attorney [provided name and phone number of my attorney on retainer]. I'm done dealing with your poorly organized agency and will follow up with my legal counsel after this phone call". He became very apologetic and said that there is no need to involve legal counsel. I told him "Actually, I think I should, as what you're doing boarders on harassment, and I intend to follow up with my attorney." He said "Go ahead if you must.
    The US District Attorney for the state of Hawaii has told them that they are immune from prosecution". I asked him "Are we done with this phone call?" He said "If you wish". I said "Sure do, I want to contact my attorney at this point." He hung up.

I contacted my attorney, chatted for a bit, had a few laughs and he agreed to draft a letter to the Censless Bureau. I provided copies of my documents, which were included with his letter.

About two weeks later I got a phone call from my attorney stating that he received written response from the Census Bureau. In summary, they acknowledged that they received my info there will be no further contact from them.

The system is obviously flawed. Several of my friends have had similar experiences (multiple visits, rude Censeless workers, etc.). None of them have gone to the extent that I did, but I see why many people don't want to deal with the Census Bureau.

I sure hope things get fixed before the next one in 2020!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    They sent me TWO forms. I mailed both in. They came by my house. I told them "Two, now go away." Sending in the form doesn't mean they won't come by.
    Good for you wolf, you only have to fill in line 1.
    I mailed in my form and filled in question 1. as two people living here and 9. I checked the other box as an AMERICAN. My hyphenated status choice was not an option, so I guess that makes me an American.
    Two weeks later I received a call on a Sunday night about 9:15 from a Census worker, she wanted to meet with me the following day to complete the form. I respectfully told her that the form was completed and I do not have to provide any more information an said good bye. This is all done for vote buying information. If and when they show up at my door they will be respectfully greeted and I will tell them the same thing, two people live here, and hopefully they will be able to look at me to determine my hyphenated status.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    The Constitution for the United States of America, Article I, Section 2, Clause 3:
    Actual Constitutional basis for the Census highlighted in bold. I see nothing there authorizing collection of demographic statistics. The Supreme Court of the United States was wrong in opining otherwise. The purpose of the Census is for apportionment of representation and direct taxes. Only the Manner of the enumeration, in modern parlance, how the performance of the Census is administrated, may be subject to Congressional law making.

As soon as I can figure out how to make the redacted text appear as strikethrough text, I'll edit this post. First try failed.
    Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of [s]free[/s] Persons, [s]including those bound to Service for a Term of Years,[/s] and excluding Indians not taxed, [s]three fifths of all other Persons[/s]. (As modified by the 14th Amendment, Section 2.) The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until suche numeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five and Georgia three.
    Two things that are in there that should be noticed, one is that they did say collect more than just number of people as they had different categories which would infer that demographics could be a part of the census. Second is the part that that says Manner as they shall by law direct which can include a lot of things. You may not like it but it is an integral part of the Constitution where 2A is an amendment (add on).

mojo Guest

ya just gotta love guberment workers..........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast