Texas AG on Immigration: Obama needs “to step up”

This is a discussion on Texas AG on Immigration: Obama needs “to step up” within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Hope he does not hold his breath waiting for Obama and company to do anything meaningful. Texas AG on Immigration: ...

Exclamation Texas AG on Immigration: Obama needs “to step up”

Hope he does not hold his breath waiting for Obama and company to do anything meaningful.

Texas AG on Immigration: Obama needs ?to step up? Liveshots

July 4, 2010 - 4:05 PM | by: Lauren Torlone

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott is calling on President Obama to secure the border between Texas and Mexico, following a Tuesday incident where shots in Juarez, Mexico crossed the border into El Paso and struck City Hall. Speaking Sunday on Fox News, Abbott said the U.S. - Mexico border, two-thirds of which lies in Texas, is a “very violent place” and that he’s been “underwhelmed by the show of force” coming from the Obama administration.

Abbott was unimpressed by the President’s immigration speech at American University earlier this week, which called for a full review of illegal immigration, in addition to a review of legal immigration procedures in the United States. In that speech, President Obama said the U.S. "has the right and obligation to control its borders and set laws for residency and citizenship. And no matter how decent they are, no matter their reasons, the 11 million who broke these laws should be held accountable." The strong rhetoric didn't impress Abbott, who remains “disappointed” in the President, adding Obama “doesn't get” or is “purposefully trying to mislead the American people” when it comes to the gravity of our national security along the border.

Abbott said Obama’s speech makes it “abundantly clear to all Americans that there is not [a] commitment to keep the border secure,” expressing doubt that bipartisan legislation in Congress would even be possible until a serious effort at securing the border is made. The Obama administration is expected to have 1,200 National Guard troops in place along the U.S.- Mexico border by the end of next month
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

1,200 National Guard troops? He didn't do anything for Arizona but put up signs. I wonder if he'll even do that much!

wolfhunter Guest

Duke, 0bama promised the 1200 troops about a month ago in response to an Arizona request for 6000 troops.

So I guess Texas will get signs as well. I wonder what happens when they get to N.Dakota and Montana? Maybe signs on the Canada border saying it is unsafe to cross into America / Mexico due to violence.

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

Obama responded with 1500 paper pushers for information processing tasks with regard to gun, drug, and human trafficking cases which have a trans-border aspects to them.

tl;dr: He did ****.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the with relation to the federal duty to defend the border vis-a-vis the state power to defend the national border, there was a phrase I first heard in the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks relative to the cries of civil libertarians protesting the erosion of Constitutional rights under the ill-named USA PATRIOT Act. That phrase was, "The Constitution is not a suicide pact."

Damn straight it's not. In fact, W.R.T. issues like this, it explicitly disclaims any need on the part of the states to wait for the federal government to act. First, what is the duty upon the federal government?

Article I -- Legislative Branch
    Section 8 -- Powers of Congress
    To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
    Article VI -- The States
    Section 4 - Republican government
    The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.
    Pretty clear. Why can't the state take care of the problem itself?

Article I -- Legislative Branch
    Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States
    No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, ...
    Okay. That's pretty clear-- oh, but, what's this? There's more.

unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.
    I think it's pretty clear that Texas and Arizona and New Mexico and California are, in fact, being invaded. I think it's also pretty clear that the bureaucratic inertia of this monolithic central federal governmental authority yields nothing but delay in facing this imminent danger and that dangerous it is, as the federal officials have admitted in putting up warning signs.

I'd say the Constitution is definitely not a suicide pact. It's also clear that where the federal government delays to the point of imminent danger for the locals, the Constitution gives free reign for the states to wage-- not just a law enforcement campaign, not just an observation and reporting campaign, but FULL. ON. WAR. on those foreign forces invading their sovereign state territory.

Even if there was an iron-clad, states can never react to foreign invasion of their territory except how Congress explicitly tells them, as the Liberal statists delighted in saying, "The Constitution is not a suicide pact." I say it's time to lock and load.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Texas needs to hire a lot more Texas Rangers, send then to the border and turn them loose.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Texas needs to hire a lot more Texas Rangers, send then to the border and turn them loose.
    Baseball players?

As long as they do not have to call somebody for permission to Kick B and take names.. Shoot first them maybe ask a question....
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    Baseball players?

As long as they do not have to call somebody for permission to Kick B and take names.. Shoot first them maybe ask a question....

Exactly.