How to write your [congressperson, senator, governor, president...etc.]

How to write your [congressperson, senator, governor, president...etc.]

This is a discussion on How to write your [congressperson, senator, governor, president...etc.] within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; A letter to an elected official should not be an exercise in trying to mimic John Steinbeck. In most cases, ...

Default How to write your [congressperson, senator, governor, president...etc.]

A letter to an elected official should not be an exercise in trying to mimic John Steinbeck.

In most cases, the letter is going to be read and catalogued by an aid rather than the actual addressee. Their first job is to tally for and against positions. So give it to them upfront as in:

“I’m writing to express my [opposition or support] for [whatever.]”

Then spare the dramatics. They don’t care and will just ignore the rest of your letter is it goes on and on about mom, apple pie, and the flag.

And don’t state your particulars except to the extent relevant to the issue.

Nothing kills interest and credibility more than a letter addressing the issue of whether the federal government should impose new street sign criteria on local governments than a description of the author as “a mother of four, a breast cancer survivor, a childhood sexual assault victim, a granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor, and a great great granddaughter of a slave….”

Any sentence that “brings a tear to your eye” should be excised. It is mere emotional rhetoric. The representative has plenty of his or her own to use. They don’t need any of yours.

Your objective should be to state facts and reasoning that will:

1. Convince a rep leaning your way to stay leaning your way;

2. Convince and undecided rep to lean your way.

3. Let a rep leaning against you know that you oppose their lean.

Everything else in your letter distracts from that mission. Stay focused.

What is the source for these facts?

Quote Originally Posted by uscg4good View Post
    experience

Quote Originally Posted by uscg4good View Post
    experience. reading letters. for a rep.

Pure curiosity on my part. Thanks for the quick reply, and great post btw. Excellent advice.

G50AE is offline Banned

Thanks for the tips. I write my state senator on a regular basis. I would also add, that you only address one issue per letter. Writing about two different subjects in the same letter will only confuse matters.

Follow the link below and click your state.

Contacting the Congress

Boortz on boortz.com Click here if you are into the Fair Tax
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia