No - right to work - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

No - right to work

This is a discussion on No - right to work within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; If it weren't for the Teamsters at UPS I would be lugging 150 lb pkgs around til I was 66. ...

If it weren't for the Teamsters at UPS I would be lugging 150 lb pkgs around til I was 66. As it is I left at 55 with + $5k/month. Look at what non-union FedEx gives their retirees and tell me that unions are bad for the working guy.
    Why do non -union people complain about the salaries of union officials and ignore CEOs making 10s of millions of dollars?

Unions had their place and their time. They did a lot of good for the working man. However, their time has passed due to laws to protect workers (OSHA, etc) and their own corruption.

SC is a right to work state, so a union can't come into the facility and "take over." Most of the south is this way, which is why BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia all have manufacturing facilities here (and that's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head). "Right to Organize" laws (which basically allow unions to take over a facility and require membership to work there) have killed the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by tovisitor98 View Post
    If it weren't for the Teamsters at UPS I would be lugging 150 lb pkgs around til I was 66. As it is I left at 55 with + $5k/month. Look at what non-union FedEx gives their retirees and tell me that unions are bad for the working guy.
    Why do non -union people complain about the salaries of union officials and ignore CEOs making 10s of millions of dollars?
    And the Teamsters almost brought down UPS a few years back. Think about it.... Dam near forced an American Company to go out of business, Yea, great. The mind set of a lot, not all, but most is do less for more pay. I could give you horror stories about the ILA on the waterfront here in the Southeast. Bleeding the Industry at the expense of all for the benefit of the few.
    As for the CEO's salaries, how about Actors/Pro Sports to name a few. ONLY thing is, a CEO keeps your butt employed, Actors, Sport types come and go. A CEO creates and builds, expands and always looks to the future. Has to, his work keeps the doors open at the business. Thing is too, the mail clerk at the bottom of the corporate ladder has every opportunity to educate himself and grow and become a CEO. It's called the individual being motivated to advance NOT "How much seniority ya got boy?"
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

UPS almost went out of business? We got raises and we kept our pensions.UPS went public acouple years later and made millionaires out of several thousand managers.The stock split and doubled in price. Their profits have more than quintupled since since 1997. Seems to me everyone did OK. Capitalism survived.

Quote Originally Posted by tovisitor98 View Post
    UPS almost went out of business? We got raises and we kept our pensions.UPS went public acouple years later and made millionaires out of several thousand managers.The stock split and doubled in price. Their profits have more than quintupled since since 1997. Seems to me everyone did OK. Capitalism survived.
    The threat of financial harm to an individual or business for financial gain in some circles is called extortion. Then when it's organized it's called and a continuing enterprise it falls under the RICO Laws. Not saying anything but some in the "Workers Representative Club" have been tried and convicted under RICO.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that by force, a person and or persons that initiate coercion for the sole purpose of financial gain should be prosecuted. I do not blame you or anyone else for signing a card and joining. But to threaten and or impact a business to such a degree as to force it to close is in my mind criminal.
    As for Unions in the Government.......How can you have a controlling entity within Gov't. At anytime a strong enough union (s) could shut down most of Gov't operations. Also how can a Gov't rep negotiate a contract being proposed when that Gov't rep is usually elected or works for an elected official that the Union will fund for the next elections. Blatant conflict of interest. IMHO there should be no unions in Government and all States should be right to work.
    Again, no offense intended against you tovisitor98 just my beliefs. Stay safe up there.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Default Right to Work and Castle Doctrine

The ongoing conflict in Wisconsin is pretty amazing. How in America can the government support a law that forces people to join a union? We shouldn't be forced to do anything. We have been covering the Wisconsin union battle and a number of other Right to Work issues at RichardCYoung.com for some time. We also have a great map that shows the Right to Work status of states and also their Castle Doctrine status (certainly a plus for USAcarry.com readers like me). Please take a look at our site and most importantly peruse the map for stats on your state: Liberty & Freedom Map : RichardCYoung.com

Cool How?

Quote Originally Posted by webmasrcy View Post
    The ongoing conflict in Wisconsin is pretty amazing. How in America can the government support a law that forces people to join a union? We shouldn't be forced to do anything. We have been covering the Wisconsin union battle and a number of other Right to Work issues at RichardCYoung.com for some time. We also have a great map that shows the Right to Work status of states and also their Castle Doctrine status (certainly a plus for USAcarry.com readers like me). Please take a look at our site and most importantly peruse the map for stats on your state: Liberty & Freedom Map : RichardCYoung.com
    In case you haven't noticed, anarchy is trying to reign in Wisconsin. The people, at the urging of unions and rabble-rousers like Jesse Jackson, are about to recall their governor and some Republican senators because they effectively outfoxed the Democrats. The Democrats who ran away from their duties and hid in Illinois are the most reprehensible excuses for senators that state can have. This situation is being stoked by our illustrious pretender to the throne in Washington who owes his soul to the unions. If the governor is overthrown, I would love to see the faces of his opponents when the state collapses from it's debt. Then let's see them beat their chests and rant and rave. When there is no money to pay government employees, policemen, firemen and other union workers, how will they live then? How about the retirees? Is the union going to pay them until the state gets solvent after several years of bickering? I don't think so. The Wisconsin governor has the most grit I have seen in many years and I hope, for the sake of his state, that he can survive the ignorance of the people he is trying to serve.

I would like to know how many people are there because they support the cause and how many are there because they like to protest and don't really care or know what the cause is. In the end the union leadership will still get their big salaries and slapping them selves on the back of what a great job they did. The people they represent will be left with having to but their lives back together and restoring their credibility.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

This is from another thread but relates to this topic better then the last topic

Originally Posted by S&WM&P40
    Why should public school teachers be paid more then private sector ones? Why should someone be force to join a ******** thug ring (labor union) or have no right to work? Want to talk about insane? It's looking at all of us in the face. This country is going down fast! Unless we take control! Scott Walker is on the front lines of the battle.
    Why should they be able to hold their employers (the tax payers) hostage with the threat of a strike. If the employer does not give to their every demand!

All you keep saying is how our point of views are outdated and not with the times. Yet our own government is backing up our point of views. If our point of view is so wrong and (insane and uneducated) as some like to cry. In a effort to discredit our view and make theirs look right. Please tell me why it is that all the educated SANE people in office who run this country, time and time again support our view points? Not only supporting it but taking it a step further and adding. That the second amendment gives people the right to own handguns.

My wife is finishing up a BA in social study's,special education. Why should she have no right to work in the land of the FREE unless she becomes a slave to a union?
    To answer your question. Public school teachers have to teach students whose parents don't raise them to behave well. Also I have yet to hear of a private school shooting like the one at Columbine.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/03/11 - Video Clip Part 1]

- Teachers and Wall Street - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/03/11 - Video Clip Part 2| Comedy Central]

As for the Unions they are what made the middle class as the unions decreased in size so has the middle class. If you look at the data it shows exactly what I have typed.

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2011/0...t-incomes/

Now far as having to pay the union dues That is the cost of having a higher paying job then those who are not represented by an union.

Even if you have to join a union for the job you don't have to let the union due money go to union, you can instead have it go to a charity.

Yes it sucks that you don't get to keep the cash but without the union representing you the wages you would be earning would be lower.

So I am willing to pay $5 dollars a day to the union if that is what was asked for instead my union was asking for $1.10 a day. That $1.10 was worth it to me to be making $19.50 an hour instead of $11. So a difference of $8.50 an hour times that by 160 hours and you will see why I thought it was worth the price of $1.10 a day.

So all the crap Fox and the Republicans say about unions is ignored by me due to when it comes to paying to bail out the Wall street workers who caused this economic mess and the amount they get paid for letting this happen and the amount they get when fired is more then most of us will ever earn in our life time.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    The threat of financial harm to an individual or business for financial gain in some circles is called extortion. Then when it's organized it's called and a continuing enterprise it falls under the RICO Laws. Not saying anything but some in the "Workers Representative Club" have been tried and convicted under RICO.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that by force, a person and or persons that initiate coercion for the sole purpose of financial gain should be prosecuted. I do not blame you or anyone else for signing a card and joining. But to threaten and or impact a business to such a degree as to force it to close is in my mind criminal.
    As for Unions in the Government.......How can you have a controlling entity within Gov't. At anytime a strong enough union (s) could shut down most of Gov't operations. Also how can a Gov't rep negotiate a contract being proposed when that Gov't rep is usually elected or works for an elected official that the Union will fund for the next elections. Blatant conflict of interest. IMHO there should be no unions in Government and all States should be right to work.
    Again, no offense intended against you tovisitor98 just my beliefs. Stay safe up there.
    Ok so the union asking for better pay for its members is outrages but the bonuses the ceo get from the company are ok and fine with you.

Boeing IAM union fought to keep the health care benefits they had and the CEO James McNerney Jr then blames them for the delay with the 787 airplanes but after enough time had passed for the company's to make the parts needed to continue building the 787 Dreamliner the strike magically ends and the 787 starts getting built again. So he was bitching about paying 8 million for the workers to keep their health benefits at the same level for the next 4 years, but he ends up getting a 19 Million dollar Bonus for the year.

I am no rocket scientist but that seems F#$Ked up to me. He needs all 19 million for himself he is not willing to give 8 million to the people who make the company profitably and be happy with only 11 million as a bonus.

Full story: Chicago Tribune
    Boeing Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer W. James McNerney receive $19 million in compensation, based on the complex formula required by regulatory reporting rules, the Chicago aerospace concern ...
    #101 W James McNerney Jr - Forbes.com

This is why the middle class keeps getting smaller due to idiots thinking that unions are bad. Have you stopped and wondered why America is no longer making as many items as before it is due to the upper rich moving their work to 3rd world countries where they don't have to pay as much to their workers. In turn the middle class shrinks and the items the company now makes can't be bought by the people due to them being jobless or having a lower paying job that leaves no money to spend on items that are not as important as food and shelter. Why do you think the items made in China are mostly sent to the USA it is because most of the Chinese workers can not afford to buy the items they are making with the amount of pay they are receiving.

And unlike most Americans they know how to live within their means and not go into debt as many of us have done. So you all can harp about the deficit but America has no intension of pay it back to China. We are just waiting for their people to get pissed and over through their leaders which will then cancel our debit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast