Pledge of Allegiance - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Pledge of Allegiance

This is a discussion on Pledge of Allegiance within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by weekendskp Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect, but the symbol of our nation and ...

Unfettered Might is offline Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect, but the symbol of our nation and our freedom cannot just be a flag; it must also be the right of a person to burn that flag in protest.
    Your still not getting it, the flag DOES NOT represent our government.This is why it makes me angry when someone does burn a flag, They don't realize that they are destroying a symbol of their rights.

The flag represents the states and their citizens. 13 stripes....13 colonies, 50 stars....50 states. Is there a stripe or star for DC? Nope...

By the way love your sig, ill have to steal that phrase and use it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Your still not getting it, the flag DOES NOT represent our government.This is why it makes me angry when someone does burn a flag, They don't realize that they are destroying a symbol of their rights.

The flag represents the states and their citizens. 13 stripes....13 colonies, 50 stars....50 states. Is there a stripe or star for DC? Nope...
    Yes, it boils my blood too, BUT when you understand the constitution, YOU will get it. You said so yourself, "symbol of their rights", not "actual rights". The flag is just a symbol. Where in the constitution does it say, "The right of the people to salute the US flag, and recite the pledge shall not be denied"? It doesn't. Yes, it boils my blood when I hear someone advocating gun control, and I will stand nose to nose and shout at the top of my lungs, my opposition to gun control, but I would NOT deny that citizen the right to espouse his views. I've heard lots of arguments about flag burning; it's an emotional issue akin to building a mosque next to ground zero in NYC, but emotion and feelings are not written in our founding father's documents. Nothing is perfect, but you have to admit that the constitution is a pretty good document. Jefferson, Paine, Adams, et.al. were some really smart cookies. Don't let your emotions misinterpret the true definition of liberty.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Yes, it boils my blood too, BUT when you understand the constitution, YOU will get it. You said so yourself, "symbol of their rights", not "actual rights". The flag is just a symbol. Where in the constitution does it say, "The right of the people to salute the US flag, and recite the pledge shall not be denied"? It doesn't. Yes, it boils my blood when I hear someone advocating gun control, and I will stand nose to nose and shout at the top of my lungs, my opposition to gun control, but I would NOT deny that citizen the right to espouse his views. I've heard lots of arguments about flag burning; it's an emotional issue akin to building a mosque next to ground zero in NYC, but emotion and feelings are not written in our founding father's documents. Nothing is perfect, but you have to admit that the constitution is a pretty good document. Jefferson, Paine, Adams, et.al. were some really smart cookies. Don't let your emotions misinterpret the true definition of liberty.
    Now your just disagreeing for the sake of arguing.

I have a complete understanding of the Constitution and while I would agree one has the right to express themselves by burning one, ill never agree they have the comprehensive to understand what they are actually doing, because they obviously do not.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

G50AE is offline Banned

Now your just disagreeing for the sake of arguing.
    Which is typical of the poster in question.

I have a complete understanding of the Constitution and while I would agree one has the right to express themselves by burning one, ill never agree they have the comprehensive to understand what they are actually doing, because they obviously do not.
    I feel the same way about people who burn crosses.

Post The Pledge of Allegiance and the Flag

There seems to be a lot of different beliefs about what our flag is or is not, how it should be honored, etc. so I offer the following information garnered from the internet at two different sites; www.indutex.net/flagcare.html; Flag Code and the U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1. Considering the content of the above references, I firmly believe the flag deserves our respect as the symbol of our country and should NEVER be dishonored in any manner. Some say it is their First Amendment right to dishonor and/or burn the flag. Not by my interpretation of these writings however. If I were to see someone burning or otherwise desecrating our flag, I'm afraid I would be guilty of aggravated assault. The dipstick burning the flag would aggravate me and I would damn sure have to assault him! It is time for us to get our pride back and not let people get away with degrading us anymore.

PROPER CARE AND TREATMENT OF THE U.S. FLAG

CARE AND RESPECT

The U.S. flag should always be treated with utmost care and respect. Remember, the flag represents a living country and, as such, is considered a living thing.
    Always display the flag with the blue union field up- never display the flag upside down, except as a distress signal.
    Always hold the flag carefully- never let it touch anything beneath it: the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.
    Always carry the flag aloft and free- never carry it flag or horizontally.
    Always keep the flag clean and safe- never let it become torn, soiled or damaged.
    Always dispose of a flag properly, preferably by burning it.
    Always treat the flag with respect. Never use it for advertising purposes. Never embroider it on household items or pieces of clothing. Never use it as part of a costume or athletic uniform. However, it is proper to attach a flag patch to the uniform of military personnel, fire fighters, police officers and members of other patriotic organizations- provided the patch is properly affixed. (Note: "properly affixed" is best understood by referring to the flag code.)
    FOLDING THE FLAG

Two people face each other, each holding one end of the flag. Stretch it horizontally at waist height and fold in half lengthwise.
    Fold the flag in half lengthwise again, the union (blue field) should be on the outside with edges held together.
    One person holds the flag by the union while the other starts at the opposite end by making a triangular fold.
    Continue to fold in triangles until the flag resembles a cocked hat with only the blue field showing.
    FLAG FACTS

The U.S. Flag, adopted on June 14, 1777, is the fourth oldest national flag in the world. Denmark's flag, adopted in 1219, is the oldest.
    A flag expert is called a "vexillologist."
    The blue field on the U.S. Flag is called the "union."
    On Memorial Day (the last Monday in May), to honor all who died in battle, the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff for the remainder of the day.
    Since 1834, the U.S. Flag has flown continuously next to the grace of the Revolutionary War hero, The Marquis de Lafayette, near Paris, France.
    June 14 was proclaimed Flag Day by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916. While Flag Day was a popular celebration in scores of communities for many years after Woodrow's proclamation, it didn't receive it's official Congressional designation until 1949.
    DISPLAYING THE FLAG PROPERLY

Because the U.S. Flag is the symbol of our country, it should always be displayed in the most prominent, most honored position. No other flag should ever appear more important.
    On a Wall: When the flag is displayed on a wall, it should be displayed with the union uppermost and to the observer's left.
    In Multi-National Flag Displays: In the United States, the U.S. Flag is to be displayed first- to "it's own right"- followed by the flags of all the other countries (at equal height and in alphabetical order) to the left (observer's right) of the U.S. Flag.
    Among Subordinate Flags: When the U.S. Flag is among a group of subordinate flags, such as state and organization flags, the U.S. Flag should be at the center and at the highest point- the position of prominence.
    Displayed from a staff: When displayed from a staff, the flag should hold the position of prominence, in advance of the audience and to the speaker's right (facing the audience). If other flags are also displayed, they should be placed to the speaker's left.
    On a pole: When several flags are flown from the same flag pole, the U.S. Flag should always be at the top- except during church services by naval chaplains at sea when the church pennant may be flown about the U.S. Flag on the ship's mast.
    The United Nations Headquarters Building in New York City, where the U.N. Flag holds the most prominent position, is the only U.S. location exempted from this provision.
    Among Peers: When flags from two or more nations are displayed, the flag code forbids the display of any nation's flag in a position superior to another in time of peace. Therefore, each flag should be of approximately equal size and flown at the same height.
    On the lapel: When the flag is displayed as a lapel pin, it should be worn on the left lapel- near the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    That is the purpose of an argument. If I want to debate, I must take up a contrary viewpoint. But, that's not just saying, "no it isn't." "Yes it is." "Times up." "No it isn't." "I'm sorry, if you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes."

Don't get me started on the religious fanatics who believe that an invisible being demands atonement for one's sins, passes judgement on those who don't believe, and control every miniscule detail of one's life. I'll bring the marshmallows, and graham crackers if you bring the Hershey bars.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp:243921
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    That is the purpose of an argument. If I want to debate, I must take up a contrary viewpoint. But, that's not just saying, "no it isn't." "Yes it is." "Times up." "No it isn't." "I'm sorry, if you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes."

Don't get me started on the religious fanatics who believe that an invisible being demands atonement for one's sins, passes judgement on those who don't believe, and control every miniscule detail of one's life. I'll bring the marshmallows, and graham crackers if you bring the Hershey bars.
    OK, then ill offer this rebuttal.

You have the same ability to prove God doesn't exist, that they do proving he does.

Oh and the evolutionists and creationists both have it half right.

Default remembering as a child

In elementary school we would recite the Pledge of Allegiance facing the flag and our right hand over our heart.
    In middle school announcements would be made starting with the pledge.
    I've been out of the army 30+ yrs. I still want to salute the flag. It's a matter of respect for me. When I see someone desecrating the flag it boils my potatoes. It hurts me to see it treated with disrespect.
    I was stationed near the Chezk border. The closer we got to the border, it felt oppressive like a wet blanket.
    Most people have no clue how good we in America have it.

I hole heartely agree with all posts and I will continue to support our brave men and women that are fighting for our rights. I only have one concern with his pledge " under god" has been omitted and IMHO the omission of god from our officials decision making is a huge part of our country's problem.

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by grady202 View Post
    I hole heartely agree with all posts and I will continue to support our brave men and women that are fighting for our rights. I only have one concern with his pledge " under god" has been omitted and IMHO the omission of god from our officials decision making is a huge part of our country's problem.
    As old as Red was, you'd have to give him the right to not say it when quoting the teacher as when he would have been in school, "under God" wasn't in it. I'm not old enough to remember it that way and first recited it in Karamursel, Turkey in 1962. "Under God" was added in 1954.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast