No speaka da Englis?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

No speaka da Englis?

This is a discussion on No speaka da Englis? within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm 'almost surprised' by the nerve of some people... ~SMH~ Alejandria Cabrera Appeals Being Removed From Ballot for English Skills ...

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Default No speaka da Englis?

Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

My first question is, is she a US citizen? If she is not end of discussion. If she is a US citizen, just shows more proof of a failed education system.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

many native-born Americans can't speak their own language...perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to run for office unless you can explain the difference between there, their, and they're?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    many native-born Americans can't speak their own language...perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to run for office unless you can explain the difference between there, their, and they're?
    So I'll take this to mean you agree with me, we have a failed education system. I never mentioned anything about native born. I asked if she was a US citizen. What does native born have to do with running for a city counsel position. Your true liberal colors are showing Elspeth.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    So I'll take this to mean you agree with me, we have a failed education system. I never mentioned anything about native born. I asked if she was a US citizen. What does native born have to do with running for a city counsel position. Your true liberal colors are showing Elspeth.
    No, I meant a native speaker, as opposed to someone who learned English as a second language.

And yes, I agree our education system has failed. That's why I homeschooled both my children for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Elspeth: The article said the woman was not proficient in English and had an interpreter. I would think it would be prudent to at least have enough fluency to speak conversational English, as a minimum, before being elected to any office in this country. Otherwise, will she have the interpreter with her at all meetings? Who will pay for the services of the interpreter? I applaud the efforts to keep her off the ballot and, if she wants to run at a later date, learn ENGLISH! Could there be more to this story than we are being led to believe? What about her trying to have the mayor unseated, twice? Could she be.....vindictative?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Elspeth: The article said the woman was not proficient in English and had an interpreter. I would think it would be prudent to at least have enough fluency to speak conversational English, as a minimum, before being elected to any office in this country. Otherwise, will she have the interpreter with her at all meetings? Who will pay for the services of the interpreter? I applaud the efforts to keep her off the ballot and, if she wants to run at a later date, learn ENGLISH! Could there be more to this story than we are being led to believe? What about her trying to have the mayor unseated, twice? Could she be.....vindictative?
    You have mistaken my meaning. I did not say - and do not believe - that she should be allowed to run when she obviously cannot express herself competently in English, which is one of the requirements for that position. I merely indicated that perhaps we should EXPAND those requirements. Although if we restrict who can run for office to only those who are actually competent to serve, we would have a lot of unfilled offices in this country. A LOT. (two words, not one...for anyone who's not sure of their own language)

When I worked as an election judge in Algonquin, Illinois, I frequently had to translate the ballots into Spanish for voters. I often wondered, if they couldn't read the ballot, how much of the issue or the candidate's position they understood either.

"It too high the bill" (talking about the water bill).

"It's too many pressure fome."

"In my communy (or is it communie?), no need too much English...."

I'll bet her speeches in Spanish are awash in flowery imagery of La Raza and Reconquista victories, like maybe flying the Mexican flag above Old Glory at an American Post Office.
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOkFD3W4ac&feature=related
    Oh, but that was a defeat, as even the politically-correct city government couldn't abide, and had their PD take the Mexican flag down. The message coming from La Raza was clear though; Reconquista is on pendejo!

Blues
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.

While I agree that no person who cannot speak, read, nor write at least conversational English should be allowed to sit in a US office, this situation is more prevelant than most understand. In all the border states (Texas in particular), many towns along those borders use spanish as their primary language, includng in the school systems. These folks were/are born as US citizens - many proud to be so to the point of disliking the illegals every bit as much as anyone else - but their language and culture is still very much Mexican. I am sure this is the case with this woman. Hard to believe for those not raised in the area, but true non-the-less. Funny how at one time it was a requirement to speak, read, and write English proficiently to become a naturalized citizen. No longer the case, and they can now take the oath in spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwgriggs View Post
    Funny how at one time it was a requirement to speak, read, and write English proficiently to become a naturalized citizen. No longer the case, and they can now take the oath in spanish.
    Are you sure about that?

The applicant must be able to read, write and speak ordinary English unless they are physically unable to do so due to a disability such as being blind or deaf, or suffer from a developmental disability or mental impairment.
    There does follow that text a couple of exemptions from the requirement based on age and duration of uninterrupted legal residence (50/20 or 55/15), but I see nothing there that says the test can be taken in Spanish. I think the exemption assumes that any 50 year old who's been here for 20 years can handle the test in English. I could be mistaken though. I didn't spend much time trying to find a provision for a Spanish test, but that opening line of the cited clause seems pretty clear to me of the intent.

Blues
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast