Police Brutality at Jefferson Memorial in D.C.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Police Brutality at Jefferson Memorial in D.C.

This is a discussion on Police Brutality at Jefferson Memorial in D.C. within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; ...

Default Police Brutality at Jefferson Memorial in D.C.

"The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Anyone who is stupid enough to wear a code pink t-shirt and supports LibTardism probably deserves to be arrested i.m.o.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

SCrid2000 is offline Law Student

Sounds like the people filming were having some sort of protest somewhere they weren't authorized to have one and decided to harass the officers rather than leave. When they were arrested as a result they resisted, in a nonviolent fashion but resistance nonetheless. From my view the amount of force was within the bounds of appropriateness, regardless of any arguments about the legality of the arrest (Imo, the arrests seemed legal).
    *not legal advice

Those people were deliberately antagonizing the police. The officers talked to them calmly but they persisted in acting like horse's rear ends. Civility seems to be a thing of the past. The police should have locked them up and let them complain all night in jail. I didn't see any brutality there but maybe there should have been some to really give them something to complain about. You can't fix stupid.

Haha idiots.. I bet there is more to the story, but good to see some more people put in their place. The police nowadays are too lenient with demonstrators IMHO. Too bad that poser in the aviators didn't resist anymore, I do love watching a good macing

Besides being able to hold anyone for what is it...24 hours? without charges, I think loitering alone would make the arrests justified ;)
    "In the event you use a gun in self-defense, whether you are right or wrong it will probably ruin your life. I learned this long ago from (self-defense instructor and author) Mas Ayoob" - BC1

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Those people were deliberately antagonizing the police. The officers talked to them calmly but they persisted in acting like horse's rear ends. Civility seems to be a thing of the past. The police should have locked them up and let them complain all night in jail. I didn't see any brutality there but maybe there should have been some to really give them something to complain about. You can't fix stupid.
    Not exactly the responses that I expected. Do none of you think that the police are enforcing unconstitutional laws? What happened to liberty in this country? If any one of you and your spouse were standing at the foot of Jefferson's statue, embracing, swaying to your special song, you both could be arrested, and you don't find that a little disturbing? The Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 is in conflict with the first amendment. What happened to peaceable assembly?
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Not exactly the responses that I expected. Do none of you think that the police are enforcing unconstitutional laws? What happened to liberty in this country? If any one of you and your spouse were standing at the foot of Jefferson's statue, embracing, swaying to your special song, you both could be arrested, and you don't find that a little disturbing? The Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 is in conflict with the first amendment. What happened to peaceable assembly?
    One video doesn't show the whole situation. Who knows if they were just innocent little dancers or if there was a conflict earlier than the video. I didn't see any brutality in here either. I believe you are on the wrong forum ;). Maybe you should post it here http://www.democraticunderground.com/ or/and http://occupywallst.org/forum/

A more serious response:

Your saying, by arresting people that are loitering on gov't property and a national landmark where people are trying to tour and take pictures. They are violating your rights?

Ok, so what about the rights of the tourists there? If they didn't enforce loitering there, it would allow massive groups just to hang around and disrupt trips people have taken the time and money planning.

Why don't you put your time to better use and worry about more important things like how so many of our rights are violated at airports....Which as a quick aside, profiling would INSTANTLY solve.
    Last edited by therikoxide; 04-11-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: I didn't feel like being a 'total' ahole
    "In the event you use a gun in self-defense, whether you are right or wrong it will probably ruin your life. I learned this long ago from (self-defense instructor and author) Mas Ayoob" - BC1

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Skipper: I am an old curmudgeon who was taught many years ago to have a little decorum when I was out and especially at a monument such as this. I don't consider it to be a place for such juvenile activities and conduct such as was displayed. Maybe the younger set, with their different value system, approves of such but I try to maintain a little dignity and respect at each monument I visit. Sorry you object but that is my way of thinking. Maybe there is quite an age difference between us that accounts for our differing opinions but I do respect yours and hope you can accept mine. Good day.

Government can restrict speech at certain times, in certain places, and certain methods of speaking so long as the restrictions are not based on content and are not to burdensome to speech.
    This, IMO, is a clearly acceptable restriction of speech.
    *not legal advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Skipper: I am an old curmudgeon who was taught many years ago to have a little decorum when I was out and especially at a monument such as this. I don't consider it to be a place for such juvenile activities and conduct such as was displayed. Maybe the younger set, with their different value system, approves of such but I try to maintain a little dignity and respect at each monument I visit. Sorry you object but that is my way of thinking. Maybe there is quite an age difference between us that accounts for our differing opinions but I do respect yours and hope you can accept mine. Good day.
    I'm part of that younger generation and I agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by therikoxide View Post
    Why don't you put your time to better use and worry about more important things like how so many of our rights are violated at airports....Which as a quick aside, profiling would INSTANTLY solve.
    I agreed with the rest of your post but just wanted to respond to this.
    Profiling would probably catch most threats (especially gender/age profiling) until the terrorists realized it was being done, then they'd just threaten 80yr old grandmas with the torture and death of their grandchildren if they don't strap a bomb on. A much better and less intrusive approach was suggested in Utah: fill the airport with explosive detecting k9 units.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast