Assignment for an English class - Federal policy and the war on gun ownership - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Assignment for an English class - Federal policy and the war on gun ownership

This is a discussion on Assignment for an English class - Federal policy and the war on gun ownership within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; As to form, your paper is c- in my class. Be aware that in a paper this short, all you ...

As to form, your paper is c- in my class. Be aware that in a paper this short, all you can do is scratch the surface of the issue. What you have written so far is only a good start on an introduction. There are many reasons that the issue of gun control is a thorn in the paw of both parties that are not seen on the surface. Look deeper. I suggest that you read David Barton's book Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White by David Barton (Paperback - Sep 1, 2004)
    Buy new : $8.95
    There is also the fact that there are millions of functional illiterates in this country who don't know what their rights are and don't care as long as the next handout comes along. I'm not willing to give up fundamental liberties because a part of the electorate is willing to go with the flow. Public opinion does not re-write the constitution. Keep going and good luck with your paper.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chitty View Post
    I don't see how citing sources and posting links applies to the section of my reply that you quoted. But I did correct the mistake I made. It's the next stage of this assignment that will require I cite sources when I put together a public proposal to address the issue I brought up in this piece. It really would be helpful to my writing if you could tell me what about the paper made you think I was biased against guns. Thanks.
    I just found it odd that someone who claims to be against misinformation would not provide a way for the reader to prove for themselves that his assertions are factual. Plus you will find that almost all of us here cite and link to prove our points.

Nothing I said or quoted had anything to do with your bias towards "guns". I think Sigmund Freud would find that the fact that you questioned something that didn't exist a virtual admission.
    “There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.”- Mr. Herbert Garrison
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."- Jeff Cooper
    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."- D. Carnegie

While I agree with you that the NRA uses fear mongering to generate income, I don't necessarily disagree with the premise that the Obama administration wants to take away 2nd amendment rights. I find fear mongering distasteful but I believe an argument can be made for it--they are tying to "awaken a sleeping giant". Really, this is not just a 2A issue as there are 4th, 5th, and 10th violations to be found also. While Obama has shown a tendency to use administrative means rather than legislative to circumvent the Constitution, he has promoted damaging legislation. Look at the Patriot Act and the NDAA for examples, as well as numerous Presidential Directives being misapplied.

Just because a President has not forwarded anti-gun legislation during his first term in office does not mean he won't in a second term. Neither is it necessarily an indicator of his beliefs nor his behavior in previous political positions. You need to take a look at Obama's past activities, and consider not just the man himself, but the entire administration over which he presides.

Lastly, the public's desires are not necessarily to be followed; this is a Republic you know, not a democracy. That is why we have the Constitution and Bill of Rights--to act as a bulwark against those who would have their way through any means, including the manipulation of public sentiment.
    "...on any given day there are bad people in the world who are able and willing to hurt you." --Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

I feel like I need to explain the scope of this assignment a little better. The criteria was to "write a letter with a public face," with the instructions that we would write something such as a letter to an editor, or a post to a public forum. This meant that it had to be reasonably short and concise. The topic had to be a matter of public interest or social concern, but specifically something I personally found irritating.

I wanted to write about something to do with guns because I only recently became a gun owner due to the fact that I only just got my green card, along with the rights and responsibilities that come with it, last year. Fear-mongering in the media has been something that has long irritated me. At my ccw class the things I heard about why I should join the NRA were so extreme they just honestly sounded like a ridiculous conspiracy theory when I heard them. So I had already looked in to it a bit and seen that they were not as extreme as I had been told, but still pretty exaggerated. I'd also recently joined this forum to get help picking a gun for my wife, so I knew there were a lot of helpful people here.

I don't believe that there is absolutely no threat to gun rights from the federal government, only that there is no precedence to believe it is as great as some people are claiming. The fact that Obama hasn't done anything in his first term does not mean he won't in his second. It also doesn't mean that he will.

While I had to write a public post, I wasn't required to actually post it. But since the second stage of this assignment will require me to take this in a direction that offers a proposal to change something about the issue I've addressed in this piece, I wanted to follow through and get feedback from the people I'm supposed to be addressing instead of assuming which direction I should take this in.

The second part of this assignment will be a lot more in depth and require that I cite all of my sources. If anyone would like to know specific sources for this piece I will dig them out of my notes. But it really seemed unnecessary here since I do state where the statistics came from, and the laws I refer to are a matter of public record and pretty easy to find. The only part I can see that might seem dubious is the amount of money the NRA made. I can find where I got that figure from, but I don't believe that was difficult to find either.

I apologize for asking the wrong person what made him think I was biased against guns. That was directed toward a comment that was made by someone but not elaborated on, and so I just wanted to understand what made the paper come across that way since I'm not biased against guns.

Just as a matter of pride, I've never received a grade below a B+ and I only got that because I'm taking a math class for the first time in fifteen years. I originally went to school here in the US twelve years ago to study criminology. Since I was laid off from my last three jobs I've returned to get a degree in computer science so that I can support my family. I'm only taking this English class because it's a new degree requirement, so none of you need worry that I'm going to end up spouting nonsense for the liberal media.

SR40c is offline Done told her once...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chitty View Post
    How would you guys feel if I re-framed the piece to be less about how irritated I am because I believe the NRA and the Republican party are exaggerating the threat on the federal level, and more about how I believe that the federal government will uphold our gun rights because history has shown that to be the case. I understand you might still completely disagree with that since SR40c brought up a couple of more recent topics. But since there is a congressional hearing looking to make people accountable for the "Gunwalker" incident and there's no way the UN small arms treaty will get two thirds of the votes necessary for senate approval, aren't these both proof that the system of check and balances is working in this regard? Would a piece about having more faith in the system be more appealing?

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's really helpful!
    Mark, I think you may have missed my point. I offered Gunwalker and the UN Small Arms Treaty as examples of threats to our Second Amendment rights by the Obama administration in opposition to your statement(s) referring to a war on guns that hasn't happened. If and probably when Holder walks away from that and whether the votes to ratify the UN treaty are there or not is irrelevant. The point was, that these back door attempts were and have been perpetrated by the Obama administration. My comments have nothing to do with faith in a system that not only doesn't work, but is terribly broken. So there is no reason to write about faith in the system either way.

I think your piece is accurate as far as the NRA goes. However, it's very inaccurate in it's summary. Unfortunately your political bias is also too obvious. Sorry, but I am having a little problem with the statement; "my opinion in this paper it is not in keeping with my typical political views but is based on that research", in the onset of your O.P. Perhaps you should change the title to "My Problem With The NRA and Republicans".

Good luck with your assignment.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Quote Originally Posted by SR40c View Post
    Mark, I think you may have missed my point. I offered Gunwalker and the UN Small Arms Treaty as examples of threats to our Second Amendment rights by the Obama administration in opposition to your statement(s) referring to a war on guns that hasn't happened. If and probably when Holder walks away from that and whether the votes to ratify the UN treaty are there or not is irrelevant. The point was, that these back door attempts were and have been perpetrated by the Obama administration. My comments have nothing to do with faith in a system that not only doesn't work, but is terribly broken. So there is no reason to write about faith in the system either way.

I think your piece is accurate as far as the NRA goes. However, it's very inaccurate in it's summary. Unfortunately your political bias is also too obvious. Sorry, but I am having a little problem with the statement; "my opinion in this paper it is not in keeping with my typical political views but is based on that research", in the onset of your O.P. Perhaps you should change the title to "My Problem With The NRA and Republicans".

Good luck with your assignment.
    I do get what you're saying. And in light of that I'll revise the section about the war on guns. But I do think that the system is taking care of the examples you brought up. Obviously it's not a perfect system, but in many regards it does work. I understand a distrust of politicians, that is pretty much universal, but I don't completely understand why so many people are so sure the system in place to protect their rights is so flawed that it will fail if politicians try to take those rights away. I know that history has shown that people can abuse the system, but I have a hard time believing anyone could get away with so blatantly violating the constitution.

Maybe that seems terribly naive. But at the same time I am starting to wonder if one of the things that has kept the government from taking away rights such as these is so many people being willing to fight for them so vehemently. I noticed a long time ago that I have many more positive opinions about this country than a lot of people I meet here. Perhaps what you're seeing as a political bias is actually the perspective of a foreigner who sees a system that, while flawed, works well in many ways.

I'm surprised that people would rather see me write about the negative aspects of the Democratic Party or even the NRA than see me write a positive piece about how the government has protected our rights up until now. But then again maybe putting people's minds at ease is what would be needed in order for the government to grossly overreach in this matter.

OP this was a reply to a specific message, but the site problem hit as I pressed submit so I will just place it as a general response.

I don't require an apology, but thank you for offering one.

Okay, basicaly you say you need to be enlightened. I could type for a day and not give you all the information available as to how and why it is very likely we will end up having our weapons taken away. At least they will try to anyway. First, don't get completely hung up on Obama. He is only the head of the snake so to speak.

You need to invest some time (a lot) and effort to understand. Look at the history of the United States and determine why in less than 100 years the country went from marksmanship being considered part of what made a man accomplished and people like Phoebe Ann Moses, Francis E. Butler, and Capt. Adam H. Bogardus sources of national pride and performers on a world stage to the neutering of the 2nd Amendment, compromise, or complete disregard for the Constitution we have today. Then research the history of England and Europe in regard to weapons. Then research the Australian weapons history. Tuckers Mom can give you a few hints there I'm sure.

When you finish that, read every federal law passed in the last 50 years and don't just look for the ones that say "weapon or gun" in the title. You have to look for what is hidden in things like the NDAA of 2011. Then read every word of the UN Small Arms Treaty and other similiar compacts. Then begin to research executive orders for the last 50 years. Invest your spare time in learning about schemes like "fast and furious" and why departments of government are buying up staggering amounts of ammunition in specific calibers that have little need of it.

When you finish all that, start looking for the same type of information at the state level.

After that follow all links here in the political area to get those facts and views.

Let me know when you are up to date on all the categories I've mentioned and I'll give you some more things to consider.

One other thing. Statistics can be manipulated to verify almost any predetermined conclusion. For instance, your statistical source, housed in Chicago University, based in Chicago (one of the most anti "gun" cities in the nation), Illinois (one of the top three most anti "gun" states in the country) also publishes a "Survey of Consumer Finances" based on the sampling of approximately 4,500 participants out of the entire population of the United States. Good God! That isn't even a statistically significant sampling! Seems like they are B.S. artists in my opinion.
    “There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.”- Mr. Herbert Garrison
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."- Jeff Cooper
    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."- D. Carnegie

I think both SR40c and Wyldekard are right on the money and gave you plenty to think about and research. I would add to those items the voting records of some of the courts where we are seeing very liberal courts legislating from the bench, overturning popular vote and generally showing a disturbing disregard for the constitution. Also remember we have a Supreme Court Justice that has made known her disdain for the Constitution and there could be more to follow. Make no mistake my friend, the system is broken and all of our rights are in peril.

Nice article. Me thinks you'd make a good writer for any of the liberal rags out there as it "seems" you pick and choose your 'facts' without looking at the whole picture.

Seriously though, well written.
    STGC(SW)
    USN (ret)

Ringo is offline Politically Incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by longslide10 View Post
    We have a Zionist/Pretend Jew luciferian new world order trying to disarm this country
    Again longslide, help me out here, whats the lowdown on this statement???
    The World Isn't Falling Apart, It's Falling Into Place

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast