Assignment for an English class - Federal policy and the war on gun ownership - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree80Likes

Assignment for an English class - Federal policy and the war on gun ownership

This is a discussion on Assignment for an English class - Federal policy and the war on gun ownership within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; While I cannot disagree with the information you chose to reveal, you did choose to overlook some things vitally important ...

While I cannot disagree with the information you chose to reveal, you did choose to overlook some things vitally important to that article you wrote.

What was Obama's voting record BEFORE he became the POTUS? This information would be very informative in your article.
    What did Obama say to Medveded, when he thought the microphone was off? This faux pas of his, speaks volumes of how he thinks.

Obama does have a history of being anti-gun. Sure he has not done so in this term of office. But we know that he would feel "more flexibility" if he gained a second term.

I do not know how old or young you are. It seems to me that if I take you at face value, then this is probably a high school or college paper. If so, what you've done so far is fairly good. But make sure you don't miss the two loose thread I mentioned.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Rayb View Post
    Also remember we have a Supreme Court Justice that has made known her disdain for the Constitution and there could be more to follow. Make no mistake my friend, the system is broken and all of our rights are in peril.
    This is a very important point. In the D.C. vs Heller case which the Supreme Court struck down the D.C. handgun ban after it was in place for more than 30 years, only 5 out of 9 judged that the 2nd Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. It was the first Supreme Court case in United States history (nearly 220 years) to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms.

If just one more judge had disagreed, the entire basis of our right to own, much less carry, handguns would have been overruled.
    It would not have taken long for anti-gun politicians to go against the will of the people and ban handguns if they had a ruling from the Supreme Court saying that the 2nd Amendment did not apply to individual right to keep and bear arms but only to militia use.
    "One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
    Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
    Suggestions by Domineaux | Texas Gun Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chitty View Post
    I don't see how citing sources and posting links applies to the section of my reply that you quoted. But I did correct the mistake I made. It's the next stage of this assignment that will require I cite sources when I put together a public proposal to address the issue I brought up in this piece. It really would be helpful to my writing if you could tell me what about the paper made you think I was biased against guns. Thanks.
    I don't know whether you are biased. But you leave out some facts and misrepresent others. For one you leave out Obama's historical record of opposing gun ownership throughout his career as a politician. While it is true he has not publicly come out against guns since he has been president, he most certainly has in Illinois and the Senate.

You ignore the fact that he has had the Secretary of State reverse the US position that it would not support the UN gun control efforts. That in itself is very important in that it is a world wide body that would impose restrictions counter to the US Constitution.

You ignore Obama's statement to gun control advocates that he is working on the issue "under the radar."

Whether you purposely ignored these and other issues is not clear. It may be that you don't do your research thoroughly or you have trouble evaluating what you find in your research. I would have to see many more of your papers to see a pattern.

I don't know what grade level you are in. When I taught writing and objective research, I assigned students to write two papers for one assignment. One paper was to take the "pro" side of the argument, the other paper was to take the "con" side of the argument. Any controversial issue was a good subject. If I couldn't tell what side of the issue the student was on when I read the papers, I knew he did a good job of reporting and researching.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

From my research I really couldn't see how gun control was such a big issue on the federal level. I really thought that the system of checks and balances had done pretty well. I think I also came in to this with the idea that nobody could really take away American gun rights because of the amount of civil unrest that it would cause. Who would want to be known as the President that criminalized so many good citizens or even started a civil uprising?

I'm intrigued that nobody likes the idea of me further looking in to how this country has kept gun rights, but I'm starting to understand a little better why so many people see them as being at risk. I haven't quite decided if the second part of this project will lead me, but I have a lot of things to consider, and I do appreciate that.

I did enter this with the idea that people were overreacting to the fear-mongering so my approach was to research federal gun laws and compare them to statistics of public opinion about guns and see how they matched up. Obviously looking at it from this one angle gave the paper a very one-sided perspective of a much larger issue that some people took to be a personal bias on my part.

I own a gun and want to keep it, so why I would be biased on this issue doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Because of this I feel I have to attribute some of the feedback I've received to the biases of the readers. That's not meant to disparage anyone or belittle their opinions. Instead it's an observation I intend to use to better connect with my audience in the future as it was not something I readily considered when writing this.

The biggest thing I'm taking away from this is something I already mentioned in a previous post. While I, with my limited knowledge of all the issues, still think there is a degree of overreaction I am starting to think this might be both healthy and beneficial. If so many people weren't so concerned about their gun rights then it is likely that the threat to those rights would be much more serious.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone, as it has helped me learn, given me a lot of options, and been an enjoyable experience. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Again longslide, help me out here, whats the lowdown on this statement???
    From what I've read and numerous times, Zionists are in control of everything from our media and govt to the military. These Zionists are not real Jews but ones that converted to the Jewish faith long ago and are mentioned in the bible--The Book of Revelation, Chapter 2, Verse 9 . They don't actually come from Israel but some other land and are not one of the original 12 tribes. They are lead by the Rothschild family with other names of their bloodline like Rockefellers, Bush's I believe is one too and numerous others I can't think of at the moment. This is the family that owns the federal reserve, the IMF, the Bank of England, British royalty and have their hands in the world banking system and many mega corp's. They also control Israel--at least the top echelon and the Mossad, CIA, MI5/6 etc. I believe they are the ones responsible for the misery on this planet due to their extensive lust for money and power. They are evil and probably spiritually guided by Satan.

From the looks of your Star of David avatar I gather you are of Jewish faith? I hope you were or are not offended. I admire your wisdom of the bible and end times prophecies.
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Ringo is offline A Watchman

Quote Originally Posted by longslide10 View Post
    From what I've read and numerous times, Zionists are in control of everything from our media and govt to the military. These Zionists are not real Jews but ones that converted to the Jewish faith long ago and are mentioned in the bible--The Book of Revelation, Chapter 2, Verse 9 . They don't actually come from Israel but some other land and are not one of the original 12 tribes. They are lead by the Rothschild family with other names of their bloodline like Rockefellers, Bush's I believe is one too and numerous others I can't think of at the moment. This is the family that owns the federal reserve, the IMF, the Bank of England, British royalty and have their hands in the world banking system and many mega corp's. They also control Israel--at least the top echelon and the Mossad, CIA, MI5/6 etc. I believe they are the ones responsible for the misery on this planet due to their extensive lust for money and power. They are evil and probably spiritually guided by Satan.

From the looks of your Star of David avatar I gather you are of Jewish faith? I hope you were or are not offended. I admire your wisdom of the bible and end times prophecies.
    Thanks for your explanation. And no, I'm not Jewish or of the Jewish faith. My avatar is simply an illustration that connects the shared relationship of Christians & Jews, Old Testament & New Testament, ties that cannot be broken. I won't go into great detail about your Zionist (Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion) ideas except to say that my father was a very sick hardcore racist, influenced by white-supremacists such as Gerald LK Smith, an agitator and propagandist who published a newsletter called The Cross & The Flag, a real piece of garbage filled with hatred of the Jews. Only those continuing to spread this outdated line of anti-Semitic Zionist BS are spiritually guided by Satan. I really hope you don't get caught up in this cult of conspiracy and hate. Peace.
    Yesterday's Prophecies - Today's Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Thanks for your explanation. And no, I'm not Jewish or of the Jewish faith. My avatar is simply an illustration that connects the shared relationship of Christians & Jews, Old Testament & New Testament, ties that cannot be broken. I won't go into great detail about your Zionist (Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion) ideas except to say that my father was a very sick hardcore racist, influenced by white-supremacists such as Gerald LK Smith, an agitator and propagandist who published a newsletter called The Cross & The Flag, a real piece of garbage filled with hatred of the Jews. Only those continuing to spread this outdated line of anti-Semitic Zionist BS are spiritually guided by Satan. I really hope you don't get caught up in this cult of conspiracy and hate. Peace.

Yeah me neither and I generally don't hate others but I do have a deep hatred for those at the top trying to enslave us all and I am not sure it's a conspiracy about who is at the helm. Christ was severely angered at the money changers in his time for the interest they were charging for changing one currency to another. That's the way I understand it anyway. So he would be just as angry if not more so now at those in control of money which I believe to be those who are not actual Jews but ones who make a false claim of such--in my mind the Zionists. Maybe you can enlighten me if I am wrong. I know the lord of darkness is ruling this planet until the return of Christ our savior and he controls the media so it's hard to define what's BS from truth via the web sometimes however when I read something numerous times from different sources things start to make sense to me.
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Maybe you guys can start a new discussion regarding the Zionist/Jew angle as it is totally not related to this thread which is being derailed.
    "One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
    Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
    Suggestions by Domineaux | Texas Gun Forum

Ringo is offline A Watchman

Quote Originally Posted by longslide10 View Post
    Yeah me neither and I generally don't hate others but I do have a deep hatred for those at the top trying to enslave us all and I am not sure it's a conspiracy about who is at the helm. Christ was severely angered at the money changers in his time for the interest they were charging for changing one currency to another. That's the way I understand it anyway. So he would be just as angry if not more so now at those in control of money which I believe to be those who are not actual Jews but ones who make a false claim of such--in my mind the Zionists. Maybe you can enlighten me if I am wrong. I know the lord of darkness is ruling this planet until the return of Christ our savior and he controls the media so it's hard to define what's BS from truth via the web sometimes however when I read something numerous times from different sources things start to make sense to me.
    Zionist simply means one who supports the principals of Zionism. Zionism simply means a movement formerly for re-establishing, now for advancing the state of Israel. Zionism has no connection one way or another with the New World Order, the anti-christ or the Mark of the Beast. This conspiracy that you refer to is nothing more than a resurgence of an anti-Semitic movement propagating hatred of Jews by White Supremacists, aka KKK, skinheads, etc., the "lord of darkness" at his best.
    Yesterday's Prophecies - Today's Headlines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234