Chief Justice Roberts Made the Right Long-Term Decision?
Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By SR40c
  • 1 Post By Keykutter
  • 4 Post By SGB
  • 1 Post By fuhr52
  • 4 Post By CathyInBlue
  • 4 Post By BluesStringer

Chief Justice Roberts Made the Right Long-Term Decision?

This is a discussion on Chief Justice Roberts Made the Right Long-Term Decision? within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Why Chief Justice Roberts Made the Right Long-Term Decision With ObamaCare Bert Atkinson Jr. June 28, 2012 3:59 pm Before ...

Default Chief Justice Roberts Made the Right Long-Term Decision?

Why Chief Justice Roberts Made the Right Long-Term Decision With ObamaCare

Bert Atkinson Jr. June 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Before you look to do harm to Chief Justice Roberts or his family, it’s important that you think carefully about the meaning – the true nature — of his ruling on Obama-care. The Left will shout that they won, that Obama-care was upheld and all the rest. Let them.

It will be a short-lived celebration.

Here’s what really occurred — payback. Yes, payback for Obama’s numerous, ill-advised and childish insults directed toward SCOTUS.

Chief Justice Roberts actually ruled the mandate, relative to the commerce clause, was unconstitutional. That’s how the Democrats got Obama-care going in the first place. This is critical. His ruling means Congress can’t compel American citizens to purchase anything. Ever. The notion is now officially and forever, unconstitutional. As it should be....
    Why Chief Justice Roberts Made the Right Long-Term Decision With ObamaCare - Independent Journal Review

I didn't post all of it to avoid copyright issues. You can see the rest at the link. I'm not sure I agree with his analysis, but it's definitely an interesting take. What do you think?
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

SR40c is offline Done told her once...

I think he's a copout. He caved into pressure or something worse. Long term situation is the fact that now that we have it, we will never be able to get rid of it. JMO.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Part of me wants to believe he was trying to give us a wake up call, especially with the comments he made. Unfortunately, his position is not a place to screw around hoping America will wake up.

I always held him in high regard and have a difficult time believing he sold us out. I really hate what he did but may change my mind if in fact this works as a wake up call.

KK

Roberts screwed the pooch on this one, he stepped firmly into a steaming pile of left wing activism that will now haunt him the rest of his days. Roberts is to be scorned in my conservative constitutional opinion.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

I don't necessarily agree with this analysis either. I would like to believe he really did stick it to Obama. Maybe he did, time will tell. Getting rid of any government program is nearly impossible. You can try but you can't put lipstick on a big and call it something else. Still doesn't solve the problem for people that want insurance but can't afford it now. How are they all the sudden going to have the money to buy it now. Anyone that believes Obama care will bring costs down lacks common sense. Business doesn't pay taxes, a cost of doing business, they pass the extra cost onto the consumer. All costs will increase.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Roberts may have had good intentions; but unfortunately he set a precedent that will haunt conservatives until the total collapse of the US. Now the progressives will use both the commerce clase and punitive taxation to steal our money and our rights.

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

The only way this decision makes good long-term sense is if it spurs the repeal of the 16th Amendment and the institution of the Fair Tax nationwide.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

The company I work for has instituted 100% company paid health insurance benefit because of this "law"...talk about a windfall..wow.

Still- I cannot agree that this decision is, in any way, good for America... present or future.

I think this article does bring an interesting point to light though. (with no thanks to roberts, it would be a non-issue if he'd done the right thing in the first place)

Taking this issue to task on the state level is an opportunity to reject it, there is a (very) limited precedence currently...with FL & LA governor's already refusing to implement certain mandates.

Can state reps can be bent to the People's will? It's unlikely to be sure.

But- in the spirit of changing our reality for the good of all... I'm going to e-mail all my state represervants today and respectfully urge them to avoid enforcing this new tax(theft) upon the working folks of Florida.

Among other deficiencies and usurpations I lay directly at Roberts' feet, this particular one is likely the worst:

In 2014, The Obama Dictatorship Will Be Complete

July 9, 2012 By Doug Book

Though few Americans are aware of it, the unconscionable ObamaCare ruling of Chief Justice John Roberts stands to provide Barack Hussein Obama* unlimited and fundamentally irrevocable power less than 2 years after the November election. For should he win, Obama will acquire the “legal” authority to select 15 individuals whose word will automatically become the law of the land.
    *Interrupted to take note of the fact that any other president who might get elected will have the same unlimited and fundamentally irrevocable power. So the candidate who calls his own individual mandate in MA a "penalty," but agrees with Roberts that ObamaCare is constitutional only because SCOTUS rewrote it to make it a tax, the wannabe Flip-Flopper in Chief who was a baby-killer for his entire career before deciding he wanted to be president, who grabbed more guns as governor than Obama has grabbed as president, is the same one we're supposed to believe will fight tooth and nail to repeal ObamneyCare, thus getting rid of his own unlimited and fundamentally irrevocable power. Yeah, that's gonna happen. Name:  Roll_Eyes_Smiley_by_Mirz123.gif
Views: 138
Size:  1.4 KB

Continuing....

Within the 2500 pages of the comically-named Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is cached the 2014 establishment of the Independent Payment Advisory Board. Nominated exclusively by the president, the 15 members of the Board will ostensibly be tasked with “…prevent[ing] per-enrollee Medicare spending from growing faster than a specified target rate.” To accomplish this congressional mandate, ObamaCare has provided the Board with the authority to submit legislative “proposals” to Congress; proposals which will automatically become law unless both Houses AND the President agree upon and pass into law a substitute measure.

In short, “the Board’s edicts …become law without congressional action, congressional approval, meaningful congressional oversight, or being subject to a presidential veto.” Moreover, citizens will have NO authority to challenge the Board’s pronouncements in court, for ObamaCare “…specifically states that the Secretary [of Health and Human Service’s] implementation of IPAB’s proposals is not judicially reviewable.” Therefore a group of presidential, POLITICAL appointees will have the practical power of shaping and imposing upon the American public, the laws of the land! For in addition to creating edicts loosely attached to Medicare and its myriad applications, in 2015 the IPAB will be permitted to impose price controls, taxes and “…ration care for all Americans whether the government pays their medical bills or not!” Thus even the Medicare stipulation will no longer be a practical deterrent to the Board’s authority.
    More at the link.

I was led to the above from a blog belonging to a long-time cyber-friend of mine, who used that piece as a basis for his own essay on the state of affairs Roberts' ruling has entrenched this country in. He is not happy, to say the least. A short excerpt follows. I suggest reading the whole thing.

To The Feds: We Will Not Comply

As with the tyranny imposed by King George III on the Colonists - we have the duty and obligation to tell the tyrants in the Federal Government who are ruling us:

GET LOST

WE WILL NOT COMPLY

We must now as a Free People REFUSE to comply with the dictates of tyranny.

After the SCOTUS rulings this week in Arizona and now ObamaCare, the amount of power this Dictator has amassed for himself and this government to run roughshod over liberty, makes it clear that our government has become an enemy of the people. We should have no trust whatsoever in any branch of the Federal Government to either uphold the Constitution or safeguard our God-given inalienable Rights.

My friend continues and elaborates on that meme. He knows though, that too many have no idea what the true cost of liberty is, and no amount of lecturing or admonishing towards inspiring any potential solutions will awake the sleeping masses. He speaks the truth as I believe it to be though, so between the two links, that's what I think of Roberts' ruling. It is the death knell of this country, played and imposed by a Republican-appointed sworn protector of the Constitution, the betrayal of which is laid bare by this legacy-defining ruling.

When I first put the caption on the picture in my sig, I intended it as hyperbole. But the deeper I dig into this ruling, the clearer it becomes to me that it is simply accurate. Roberts is the biggest traitor to the cause of human liberty since Benedict Arnold.

Blues

EDIT: Replaced "...biggest traitor to the Constitution" with "...biggest traitor to the cause of human liberty." Benedict Arnold could not have been a traitor to the Constitution since it didn't exist when he committed treason against Washington and the Revolutionary Army. Oops.
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.