2nd Amendment food for thought
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2nd Amendment food for thought

This is a discussion on 2nd Amendment food for thought within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Time...and burglars, rapists and idiots...wait for no man, or woman. We are locked and loaded in our home! 2nd Amendment! ...

Default 2nd Amendment food for thought

Time...and burglars, rapists and idiots...wait for no man, or woman. We are locked and loaded in our home!

2nd Amendment!

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. (waiting for attack)

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes (usually more) away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

7. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.' To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.
    An armed society is a polite society.

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
    Time...and burglars, rapists and idiots...wait for no man, or woman. We are locked and loaded in our home!

2nd Amendment!

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. (waiting for attack)

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes (usually more) away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

7. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.' To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

I agree, for the most part. As for keeping my guns loaded, only when I'm carrying them on my person (which is only outside the home). My home defense guns don't have a round in the chamber; I'll chamber a round in my pump action Mossberg if I hear someone breaking in; nothing like the sound of a round being chambered for deterrence.

I have always kept at least one, usually a couple loaded at home where I can get to them even when my kids were little. I did not worry about them touching them because they were not keep a mystery to them. My kids were taught gun safety, taken to the range to see what guns would do and at a young age taught to shot. I did not worry about them picking up a loaded gun any more than I worried about them driving my car without permission just because I keep the tank "loaded" with gas.
    Regarding to the statement about fighting to win I like what Massad Ayoob said. "The idea is not to take them with you but rather to send them on ahead".

By the way as far as my kids not messing with my guns they were never left unattended. To much unsupervised time is one of the main problems of kids today.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I have always kept at least one, usually a couple loaded at home where I can get to them even when my kids were little. I did not worry about them touching them because they were not keep a mystery to them. My kids were taught gun safety, taken to the range to see what guns would do and at a young age taught to shot. I did not worry about them picking up a loaded gun any more than I worried about them driving my car without permission just because I keep the tank "loaded" with gas.
    Regarding to the statement about fighting to win I like what Massad Ayoob said. "The idea is not to take them with you but rather to send them on ahead".
    By the way as far as my kids not messing with my guns they were never left unattended. To much unsupervised time is one of the main problems of kids today.
    I could not agree more.
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

Well thankfully I don't have that problem. There aren't any kids in my home.

However, this brings up another question. What about when other people's kids come to your home? Obviously, you don't know how much knowledge they have of guns; in fact, I would argue that most parents don't teach their kids as much about guns as you do with yours. How do you handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Well thankfully I don't have that problem. There aren't any kids in my home.

However, this brings up another question. What about when other people's kids come to your home? Obviously, you don't know how much knowledge they have of guns; in fact, I would argue that most parents don't teach their kids as much about guns as you do with yours. How do you handle that?
    My kids are also now grown so I don't have to worry about that either. When other kids came to our house and even now on the rare occasion when we have kids or even other adults in our home the guns are up out of sight and out of mind from them. I do not trust many adults much more than kids when it comes to guns. Who knows what experience if any they have had with firearms.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

My kids are also now grown so I don't have to worry about that either. When other kids came to our house and even now on the rare occasion when we have kids or even other adults in our home the guns are up out of sight and out of mind from them. I do not trust many adults much more than kids when it comes to guns. Who knows what experience if any they have had with firearms.
    Good point! I don't have kids of my own, so most of the time, that's not something I have to worry about either. I was raised in a home with guns, but they were kept unloaded and out of sight (I think). I don't keep any of my weapons loaded when I'm at home, so I'm pretty sure that when I have kids, it will probably still be that way. I still think every day about how I'm going to teach them how to use firearms when I do have them.

All my guns are loaded,kids taught the same thing.Not unloaded untill you clear it yourself.In safe or on me.

WOW loaded hand guns in the house around children... Just remember as an adult you are responsible for what happens regardless of what training the children have had. If the gun goes off and a child has it you go to jail if it is your gun.... As for me, better safe then sorry... I have a loaded hand gun in a hand gun safe with a quick combo in case I need it. Don't think a kid or his friends could get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc and his Glock View Post
    WOW loaded hand guns in the house around children... Just remember as an adult you are responsible for what happens regardless of what training the children have had. If the gun goes off and a child has it you go to jail if it is your gun.... As for me, better safe then sorry... I have a loaded hand gun in a hand gun safe with a quick combo in case I need it. Don't think a kid or his friends could get it.

I agree. I don't care how much I teach them, no way would I ever have loaded guns in the house with children unless they were locked away. No matter how much I teach them, you can't watch them 24 hours a day. Having loaded guns in the house while I'm gone and they're there would make me nervous. Besides, even now, I don't have any kids, and I still don't keep any of my guns loaded. In my case, what worries me about loaded guns is mice. Sure, I've been living in my apartment for well over a year now and have never seen a mouse, but what if? If a mouse is running around, isn't it quite possible that one could run over the trigger of a loaded gun, and you'll be wondering how in the world it discharged? The only time any of my guns is ever loaded is when I'm carrying it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast