Soft tyranny worse than outright tyranny ...
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Itstjs
  • 1 Post By buckey01
  • 1 Post By Bigcarlover

Soft tyranny worse than outright tyranny ...

This is a discussion on Soft tyranny worse than outright tyranny ... within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; "After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the ...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default Soft tyranny worse than outright tyranny ...

    "After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the supreme power then extends its arm over the whole community. It covers the surface of society with a network of small complicated rules, minute and uniform, through which the most original minds and the most energetic characters cannot penetrate, to rise above the crowd. The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided; men are seldom forced by it to act, but they are constantly restrained from acting. Such a power does not destroy, but it prevents existence; it does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd."
    from: Alexis de Tocqueville - Democracy in America Democracy in America: TOC
    also referenced in Mark Levin's new book ... The Liberty Amendments - The Liberty Amendments: Restoring the American Republic: Mark R. Levin: 9781451606270: Amazon.com: Books
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756

    Default

    Sad thing is, less fortunate countries such as Egypt & Syria have the backbone to stand up to their Government, but then again, they dont have things like Cable TV to keep them distracted. lol.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north east Iowa
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    This soft tyranny was described in Levin's book, "Ameritopia". It has been the dream of American and European progressives since the middle of 19th century. Thomas Moore coined the name, Utopia, in the 15th century and based it on the communes of early Christians. Huxley and Orwell saw the destructive nature of the communal societies where individualism is not tolerated. These Utopian ideas eventually fail because individualism and innovation are discouraged. Collectivism runs contrary to human nature. It doesn't improve society and mankind's condition because it destroys man's humanity.

    Mark Levin is brilliant constitutional scholar and historian. His book, The Liberty Amendments" , could be the answer to this country's problems. Unfortunately, the level of ignorance, envy, and polarization in the U.S. makes any peaceful and rational solution almost an impossibility.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Sad thing is, less fortunate countries such as Egypt & Syria have the backbone to stand up to their Government, but then again, they dont have things like Cable TV to keep them distracted. lol.
    Not sure why you lol'ed that at the end. There's a lot of truth to that statement. Not only are we bombarded with liberal biased (mis)information, but people know/care more about what the Kardashians are up to, then their politicians.
    "The whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought...by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now...Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Yes, I agree, cable TV and all the modern distractions keeps our society soft and complacent. We're responsible for the distractions as individuals to an extent - not sure the ratio. We must work with it and use it but in my opinion it's impossible to escape the propaganda - even on so-called conservative news - because of corporate sponsorship they draw the line in truth-telling; stopping at the meat of truth to protect their own wallets. I'm finding Michael Savage and Alex Jones truth-refreshing and practically all that I listen to these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Sad thing is, less fortunate countries such as Egypt & Syria have the backbone to stand up to their Government, but then again, they dont have things like Cable TV to keep them distracted. lol.
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    re: "the level of ignorance, envy, and polarization" Yes, and the President and the Party exploit these conditions you mention. It seems that their constituents are nothing more than vote farmers to the Democratic Progressives. The leadership cajoles and courts them, pretends to identify with their poverty and alleged plight; the "unfairness" of it all, but I'm confident that Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Harry Reid and the lot of them wouldn't be caught socializing with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarlover View Post
    Not sure why you lol'ed that at the end. There's a lot of truth to that statement. Not only are we bombarded with liberal biased (mis)information, but people know/care more about what the Kardashians are up to, then their politicians.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    This soft tyranny was described in Levin's book, "Ameritopia". It has been the dream of American and European progressives since the middle of 19th century. Thomas Moore coined the name, Utopia, in the 15th century and based it on the communes of early Christians. Huxley and Orwell saw the destructive nature of the communal societies where individualism is not tolerated. These Utopian ideas eventually fail because individualism and innovation are discouraged. Collectivism runs contrary to human nature. It doesn't improve society and mankind's condition because it destroys man's humanity.

    Mark Levin is brilliant constitutional scholar and historian. His book, The Liberty Amendments" , could be the answer to this country's problems. Unfortunately, the level of ignorance, envy, and polarization in the U.S. makes any peaceful and rational solution almost an impossibility.
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •