Ruger Mini-14 in massive caliber
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ruger Mini-14 in massive caliber

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini-14 in massive caliber within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Well, wouldn't you know it...the ATF gets all the goodies. I thought the Mini-14 was just a "ranch gun" - ...

toreskha is offline Titles are un-American.

Default Ruger Mini-14 in massive caliber

Well, wouldn't you know it...the ATF gets all the goodies. I thought the Mini-14 was just a "ranch gun" - general purpose .22, good for riding along on an ATV or storing neatly in the pickup gun rack, good for plinking cans.

But come to find out it's now available in .53! Whoa! I'm not sure, but that sounds like an awful lot of power for such an otherwise small rifle! Ruger has managed to invent a whole new caliber AND put together a compact gun that will fire a huge projectile! Incredible! I wonder what the felt recoil is on something like that?

Now...if only we could chamber a round of common sense for the media...hmmm...
    Last edited by toreskha; 10-04-2008 at 04:23 AM.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

That would be awesome having that kind of firepower. However, isn't there a law on the books making .50 caliber the largest legal caliber that can be produced?

I'm sorry, but that rifle was seized in California and .50 caliber and larger rifles are not allowed under California law. That rifle cannot possibly exist.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I'm sorry, but that rifle was seized in California and .50 caliber and larger rifles are not allowed under California law. That rifle cannot possibly exist.
    All joking aside, I thought calibers larger than .50 couldn't even be manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    All joking aside, I thought calibers larger than .50 couldn't even be manufactured.
    There is a .0000001 chance the caption is a typo, and a 99.9999999 chance the editor of the article is an idiot.

Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    There is a .0000001 chance the caption is a typo, and a 99.9999999 chance the editor of the article is an idiot.

Take your pick.
    got a point there... although sounds fun in theory
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

A .53 caliber with a 24" barrel?????? The bullet would probably have a trajectory of a rock rolling off a table!
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I'm not sure under current regulations, but a few years ago .577 and .600 Nitro Express rifles could still be ordered if you had a LOT of money. I know that existing rifles and ammo are still sold (I saw one in Phoenix Cabelas last summer--and Bass Pro here in Vegas occasionally has double rifles in express calibers)

Also, I believe you can still order single shots in some of the 19th centery (50-140 sharps for one) large bore cartridges.

I don't know the details regarding legality of these.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

toreskha is offline Titles are un-American.

There's no such thing as a .53 caliber. I was poking fun at the ignorance of the media.

Speaking of stupid, I just noticed I had a "Beretta M5" all this time in my album. Now it's an M9. I have no idea how 9 = 5. Sometimes I amaze even myself.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    There's no such thing as a .53 caliber. I was poking fun at the ignorance of the media.

Speaking of stupid, I just noticed I had a "Beretta M5" all this time in my album. Now it's an M9. I have no idea how 9 = 5. Sometimes I amaze even myself.
    You know nobody on this site has a sense of humor Work on your sarcastic voice, toreskha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast