UN panel touts new global currency reserve system

This is a discussion on UN panel touts new global currency reserve system within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; UN panel touts new global currency reserve system UN panel touts new global currency reserve system Mar 26 05:09 PM ...

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation UN panel touts new global currency reserve system

Mar 26 05:09 PM US/Eastern
    A UN panel of expert economists pressed Thursday for a new global currency reserve scheme to replace the volatile, dollar-based system and for coordinated steps by rich countries to stimulate their economies.

"A new Global Reserve System -- what may be viewed as a greatly expanded SDR (Special Drawing Rights), with regular or cyclically adjusted emissions calibrated to the size of reserve accumulations, could contribute to global stability, economic strength and global equity," the panel said.

As part of several recommendations to tackle the global financial crisis, the panel also noted recovery would require all developed countries, in the short term, to take "strong, coordinated and effective actions to stimulate their economies."

And it stressed the need to "lay the basis for the long-run reforms that will be necessary if we are to have a more stable and more prosperous global economy and avoid future global crises."

The commission, led by US economist Joseph Stiglitz, a frequent critic of globalization and unbridled free markets, is primarily aimed at finding solutions for developing countries.

On the monetary front, Stiglitz, the 2001 Nobel economics laureate, told a press conference here there was "a growing consensus that there are problems with the dollar reserve system.

He noted that such a system was "relatively volatile, deflationary, unstable and (had) inequity associated with it."

"Developing countries are lending the United States trillions dollars at almost zero interest rates when they have huge needs themselves," Stiglitz noted. "It's indicative of the nature of the problem. It's a net transfer, in a sense, to the United States, a form of foreign aid."

This week, China's central bank chief Zhou Xiaochuan suggested the dollar could be replaced as a reserve currency by an International Monetary Fund (IMF) basket comprising dollars, euros, sterling and yen, saying it would not be easily influenced by individual countries.

But the UN panel warned that a two (or three) country reserve system "may be equally unstable."

It said a new Global Reserve "is feasible, non-inflationary and could be easily implemented, including in ways which mitigate the difficulties caused by asymmetric adjustment between surplus and deficit countries."

Stiglitz said his panel's experts were currently trying "to lay out the conceptual framework of how this might be done."

The issue of the world currency reserve is expected to be raised at the April 2 summit of the G20 club of developed and emerging economies.

On Wednesday IMF managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn said that talks on a new global reserve currency to replace the US dollar were "legitimate" and could take place "in the coming months."

But US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner earlier defended the dollar as a key global reserve currency.

"I think the dollar remains the world's standard reserve currency, I think that's likely to continue for a long period of time," he said.

Among other recommendations, the Stiglitz panel proposed western aid to help developing nations out of the crisis, better market regulation, a reform of central bank practices and of international financial institutions, as well as the creation of a new structure such as a United Nations economic council.

It specifically called for immediate, additional funding for developing countries "just to offset the imbalances and inequities created by the massive stimulus and bail-out measures introduced by advanced industrialized countries."

It said the funds could come through the issuance of SDRs approved by the IMF board in 1997.

SDRs are an international reserve asset, created by the IMF in 1969 to supplement the existing official reserves of member countries and support the Bretton Woods fixed exchange rate system.

They are allocated to member countries in proportion to their IMF quotas.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Exclamation Are we ready for this BS???

A one world currency that is driven by the whim and whimsy of the United Ninnies is the last thing we need. I mean really let's look at this realistically. Do you ask a poor person for investment advice? Do you ask a super model where to get a good steak and tater? HELL NO YOU DON"T!!! You don't ask some third world piss-ant what the best course of action in international affairs is either.

This is the beginning of the end and we all know it. The only way out of this is to kick the U.N. out of the USofA and relocate them to Antarctica. While we are at it we should make them pay for every single action the US has provided since 1950 and charge them interest to boot. It would cancel the Natl. Debt!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Can anyone name anything the UN has done right?? I can't......

The U.N is evil personified.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

They cannot even run their own little postage stamp sized countries with out messing it up, so just what qualifies them to tell us what to do....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Exclamation Bachmann bill would ban global currency

March 26, 2009
    Bachmann bill would ban global currency
    @ 1:31 pm by Eric Zimmermann
    Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) has introduced legislation that would "bar the dollar from being replace by any foreign currency." A statement from Bachmann's website:

“Yesterday, during a Financial Services Committee hearing, I asked Secretary Geithner if he would denounce efforts to move towards a global currency and he answered unequivocally that he would," said Bachmann. "And President Obama gave the nation the same assurances. But just a day later, Secretary Geithner has left the option on the table. I want to know which it is. The American people deserve to know."

On Monday, Geithner and Bernanke both rejected the idea of a global currency in Congressional testimony. But in remarks to the Council on Foreign Relations yesterday, Geithner indicated he was open to the idea.

The Hill’s Blog Briefing Room Bachmann bill would ban global currency
    Archived under: News
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Default Bachmann bill would ban global currency

I could easly get behind that!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Default Bachmann bill would ban global currency

IMHO this is good and I think I'll forward a copy of it to my local state Reps and Senators...

Thanks to the Festus dude...
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    IMHO this is good and I think I'll forward a copy of it to my local state Reps and Senators...

Thanks to the Festus dude...
    no kidding!!!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!