Right to Carry in National Parks
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Right to Carry in National Parks

This is a discussion on Right to Carry in National Parks within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Everyone, Many of you already no the details so I'll summarize: On January 9th, President Bush approved a change to ...

Default Right to Carry in National Parks

Everyone,
    Many of you already no the details so I'll summarize:
    On January 9th, President Bush approved a change to the NPS (National Park System laws to allow concealed carry in national parks.
    On March 29th, the Brady Commission filed for an injunction to reverse the new law on the grounds that a "proper environmental impact study had not been completed." The NRA immediately filed an appeal.
    On April 2, a coalition of Republican and Democrat Senators submitted a bill to again allow concealed carry in National Parks.

It's time to weigh in. The best way I have found to do this at the federal level is through the following web site: NRA-ILA :: Action Center
    You can enter your zip code and send an email to the President, your Senators and Representatives all at the same time. I was impressed with the format and how it looked. It is connected with NRA-ILA, but you do not have to be a member, and I did not see any logo on the emails themselves.

Some good questions are -- Why should you do this? Why should you care?
    Here are a few key facts.

The NPS controls a total of 84.6 million acres of land.
    8,505 Monuments and Statues
    680 Water Treatment and Wastewater Collection Systems
    5,300 Family Housing Units
    505 Dams
    1,804 Bridges and Tunnels
    7,580 Buildings
    8,500 Miles of roads and parkways
    12,250 Miles of Unpaved Trails

...and that is just a partial list. For a complete list go to: U.S. National Park Service Quick Facts

This is nothing more than an underhanded dirty trick by the Brady Commission to put 3.6%, yes that's 3.6% of the entire United States off limits, in addition to making it so difficult in some areas, like Virginia, Maryland and DC, that if you do have a permit you just wouldn't be able to carry without committing a felony. If you get caught on the GW Parkway, your screwed!

If you decide to send an email (it is very quick and simple) please post when you are done. I am running this on 8 forums (and still looking for others) and I come back to each one as often as I can to report the totals. So far we have about 64 emails sent.

Feel free to borrow the following text or use your own, but keep it clear, concise and professional like the proud, responsible gun owners that we are:

I support the right to carry a handgun for self defense in our nation's parks and wild life refuges. Please reinstate this policy immediately and expand it to include national parks and wildlife refuges in all states. This is essential for law abiding citizens to safely enjoy these areas without fear. Thank you.

Thanks for your help!

Smity

Done, and thank you sir, for the heads up!
    When it comes to handguns, there are Sig Sauers, then there's everything else.

67, now working on forum #9.

Most emails sent is from DefensiveCarry.com with 26 sent. (no pressure )

I know the President doesn't check his own emails, but I just have this vision of him waking up, turning on his computer and "ding...ding.ding...ding.ding.ding..d.d.dd.d.dding .." "WHAT THE.....!?"

It just cracks me up thinking about it.

Smity

wolfhunter Guest

Total emails sent = 71 and growing!

Ironhorse and Wolfhunter... thank you, you are true gentlemen.

Smity

Total number of people who have sent emails is now 74.

If you notice, I have changed the reporting from number of emails to number of people who sent emails. Many are reporting back as having sent multiple emails -- the President, 2 Senators and 1 Representative (one way to do this is with the NRA-ILA email tool at NRA-ILA :: Action Center). Since I can't go back find out who sent multiple emails, I will now report as # of people instead. The total number of actual emails sent is definitely in the hundreds.

Great job everyone!

Smity

FYI - January 20th, 2009:

The Usurper Obama Halts New or Pending Bush Regulations

Acting only hours after his inauguration, President Barack Obama has ordered a freeze on new or proposed regulations at all government agencies and departments. In a memo issued by new White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, the president tells agency and department heads that :
    "...no proposed or final regulation should be sent to the Office of Federal Register for publication unless and until it has been reviewed and approved by a department or agency head appointed or designated by the President after noon on January 20, 2009, or in the case of the Department of Defense, the Secretary of Defense."
    The memo also orders the withdrawal of all final or proposed regulations not yet published by the Federal Register. Department and agency heads have also been asked to "consider extending for 60 days the effective date of regulations that have been published in the Federal Register but not yet taken effect" unless they impact health, safety, environmental, financial, or national security matters -- obviously now subject to the interpretation of Obama's appointees.

Download the original White house Memo from Rahm "Hit-Man" Emanuel on January 20th, 2009 (AKA: Black Tuesday)...
    http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...ory-review.pdf

This may be an off the wall idea but there are a whole lot of us gun owners out there. What if the NRA, GOA, SAF and other pro gun groups sent out letters to all their members asking them to boycot all National Parks and to send letters of their intent. Hit them where it hurts. In the pocket book.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast