The real reason for the 2 Amendment!

The real reason for the 2 Amendment!

This is a discussion on The real reason for the 2 Amendment! within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Here is an article I ran across today. Kudos for Charley Reese. I wish more people would think like this ...

Talking The real reason for the 2 Amendment!

Here is an article I ran across today. Kudos for Charley Reese. I wish more people would think like this guy does.

Charley Reese
    Lew Rockwell.com
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The positions of most urban liberals on firearms are dumb, dumber and dumbest.

It is dumb to suppose that the way to decrease crime is to make sure all potential victims of violent crime are disarmed. It is dumber yet to believe that a criminal will obey a gun-control law. No bank robber or rapist has ever set out and then stopped and said, “Gosh, I don’t have a permit for this weapon, so I guess I’d better not rob that bank or rape that girl.” No serial killer has ever said: “Gosh, I can’t kill this person with an unregistered weapon. That would be against the law.”

The dumbest idea is to suppose that an inanimate object can turn a noncriminal into a criminal. To believe that guns cause crime is as stupid as believing that hammers and saws cause houses. It is the grossest kind of mindless superstition to suppose that some magical qualities of an inanimate object can overpower the human will.

A gun is neither a romantic nor a sinister object. It is just a plain tool, like a hammer, a saw or a router. It can be used for recreation, and it can be used for self-defense. Like a chain saw, it can hurt its owner if the owner is careless or stupid. But the modern firearm is inherently safe. The gun cannot load itself or fire itself. Properly stored and used, it is safer than a stepladder or a swimming pool or an automobile. It is even safer than eating.

Here are the statistics from the National Safety Council: In the year 2000, firearms killed 600 Americans accidentally. That’s 600 out of nearly 280 million. Here are the other numbers of accidental fatalities for that year: autos, 43,000; falls, 16,200; poisons, 11,700; drowning, 3,900; ingestion of food or other object, 3,400. The only number of fatalities lower than accidental firearms deaths is that from poison gases – 400.

The next time some urban liberal tells you he just wants to make firearms safer, tell him to consult the National Safety Council, stick the statistics where the sun doesn’t shine and then go straight to hell for being a big, fat liar. Sorry to put it so harshly, but I can’t abide lying politicians.

I was born into a home with guns, I have lived my whole life in homes with guns, I have raised my children in homes with guns, and I have worried enormously more about their scuba diving and sky diving than I have about their contact with firearms.

Furthermore, when I married, I assumed the responsibility for the safety of my wife and children. I was never willing to bet their safety on the possibility of my skills in unarmed combat overcoming an intruder. I suppose it comes from my Celtic blood, but when it comes to defending those I love, I’ll kill any number of people to keep them safe, and I have always made it my business to have the means of doing so at hand. I gave up fair fights in the second grade. I have seen too often with my own eyes what psychopathic scum can do to innocent human beings. To use Mr. Donald Rumsfeld’s style of speaking, do I trust human beings? No.

The Founding Fathers of our country, as politically incorrect as it might be to say so, were revolutionaries who had to use violence to overthrow tyrannical rule. They wrote the Second Amendment not to make sure people could go duck hunting, but to make sure that they would have the means, if necessary, to overthrow tyranny again. The meaning of the Second Amendment is clear to all but those who hate the idea of a free people. It states that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” It does not say members of the militia or policemen or soldiers. It says the people, and it means every individual American citizen in this God-blessed land, whatever shyster lawyers have to say notwithstanding.

Unfortunately, the world is still ruled by force, and a disarmed people are not free, but at the mercy of those with arms. I hate the very concept of being “at the mercy” of anyone.

If you believe in the right to life, then you must believe in the right to have the means to defend that life. Unless you wish to spend years learning the bow and arrow and the broadsword, I’d suggest you join 4 million others and me in the National Rifle Association, lest a bunch of dumb urban politicians put you and your family at the mercy of any wandering criminal.

Cooter is offline Liberty or Death

It IS dumb to believe gun control is a good thing. Might I point out that only misled sheep believe it. The people up top, who propogate this insanity, know exactly what they're doing. You think they have our safety and best interest in mind? They are well aware of what it means to have a well armed population when they try to spread tyranny. They know, as well as we do, what the 2A is really for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It IS dumb to believe gun control is a good thing. Might I point out that only misled sheep believe it. The people up top, who propogate this insanity, know exactly what they're doing. You think they have our safety and best interest in mind? They are well aware of what it means to have a well armed population when they try to spread tyranny. They know, as well as we do, what the 2A is really for.
    +1. The sheeple being armed interfears with the plans they have for us.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

that is just it.. they know exactly what they are doing. when we are armed they fear us which is why they want to disarm us so they will have much less resistance to do whatever they want to do.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    that is just it.. they know exactly what they are doing. when we are armed they fear us which is why they want to disarm us so they will have much less resistance to do whatever they want to do.
    EXACTLY... which is why I WILL NOT give up my firearms.

Default Every Infamous Tyrant Has Known...

that the best way to subjugate a people is to first disarm them. King George was doing it - hence the revolution and the 2nd Amendment.

We don't have to look very far back in time for more recent examples.
    How do you murder 6 million innocents and terrorize millions more? First, take away their means of defense. Adolph Hitler.
    How do you kill as many as 20 million dissidents and intellectuals? First disarm them. Mao Tse Tung
    How do you rule 100 million people with an iron fist? First, take away their guns. Josef Stalin.

By the way, that Reese piece was great. could you post a link to his website?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Perhaps the bleeding heart liberals need a dictionary so they can look up the word "infringed". That word alone says it all. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Wink Let me stir the pot here......

It IS dumb to believe gun control is a good thing. Might I point out that only misled sheep believe it. The people up top, who propagate this insanity, know exactly what they're doing. You think they have our safety and best interest in mind? They are well aware of what it means to have a well armed population when they try to spread tyranny. They know, as well as we do, what the 2A is really for.
    First, let me state my unrestricted appreciation for the forethought of our forefathers as it relates to the second amendment. I firmly believe that our second amendment right makes ALL other rights possible. Of course, I wish that they had worded it just a tad bit better......

That said, I think that I must disagree with Cooter (still love ya, Big Coot!) concerning the beliefs of the anti-gunner. I think that they truly believe that guns are evil, and that getting rid of them will somehow reduce violence in our society. Because of the emotional nature of the subject of violence, the argument for and against has, for the most part, become an intransigent discussion.

Their ultimate goal, to reduce violence toward others, is one with which I can fully appreciate and agree. I do believe that there is far too much aggression towards other people. Unfortunately, much of this violence is done by a small group that repeatedly victimizes others. That is why although I feel bad for the families of criminals who are killed while assaulting others, a small part of me appreciates that the fact that this person who is shown to be a danger to us all will hurt no one else. Does attempting to steal a stereo deserve a death sentence? Undoubtedly, no. Do I make a conscious choice to risk my life in pursuit of a stereo if I break into a dwelling? Yes. I am an adult, and I am responsible for my choices, as are we all.

In arguing against firearms, most of the anti-2A people are showing themselves to be concerned for their fellow man (or woman). They really think that their approach will reduce the number of deaths in this country. The fact that the data contradicts this viewpoint is entirely moot, because data requires thoughtful, logical examination to be useful, and the emotive nature of the subject discourages logical examination for many people. Besides, think about that amazing Google Page Ranking machine that represents the anti-2A movement. You can hardly blame someone with little to no exposure to firearms for being sucked into the lie. Between Michael Moore and the Brady bunch, the truth that a strong 2A presence actually reduces violence is now considered "counter-intuitive".

Thus, my strategy has always been to keep calm, and try to use the logical track. If you meet a rabid anti gunner at a party or out in public, the key is to always proffer a positive, non-threatening image of an honest, trustworthy 2A supporter. After meeting a few good people, they WILL begin to question what they are being told. I also make a point of inviting every anti with whom I converse regarding firearms and the second amendment to a trip to the range. Many will decline, but you might be surprised how many will accept. I can not tell you how many people have changed their mind after a steady "assault" by my friendly smile and genuine interest in their complete knowledge regarding the subject of firearms.

Brother's and sisters of the black powder movement, our "religion" does not spread by the point of the sword, but by the education of the people. The people can not hear when you are screaming at them from across the field of battle, but when you are whispering in their ear in the intimacy of friendship. We shall not hate them because they practice that most holy American act of disagreement. We shall love them because they are simply a new voice that might be added to our whispering roar. We change minds with an attentive heart, and a willingness to pay for 20 or 30 rounds of ammo that they might blow off at the range. The choice is ours. Is it easier to fight headlong at an enemy whom truly believe that they are on the side of the angels, or to bring those lost souls, one by one, into the light. Eventually the proponents of ignorance will look around to find their army gone, replaced with those whose vision has been restored.

However, don't let me take myself too seriously!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Outlawing nuclear weapons testing did not stop North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.