Requirements to vote
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Requirements to vote

This is a discussion on Requirements to vote within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; I think we should come up with a list of requirements to vote and ask our congressmen and women to ...

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation Requirements to vote

I think we should come up with a list of requirements to vote and ask our congressmen and women to put forth legislation to correct deficiencies

1. Provide your own income (be a productive member of society and not a welfare slug)
    2. Pass a drug screening
    3. NO FELONS, DEAD PEOPLE, CARTOON CHARACTERS OR MULTIPLE REGISTRATIONS
    4. No outstanding warrants for arrest
    5. Must have IQ of at least 85
    6. Must speak and read English
    7. MUST BE US CITIZEN
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Not bad, Not bad at all.. +1
    Semper Fi

How about a basic understanding of the constitution also as well as an understanding that this is a republic not a democracy.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

I agree with requiring U.S. citizenship, verifying one's identity, and being able to speak and read English. However, I don't agree with being required to pass a drug screening; (I know that this will ruffle some feathers, but I personally think that the war on drugs is a losing effort and needs to be abandoned. The only drug users who should be imprisoned are those who steal from others to support their habit. Those who spend their own money and use the drugs in the privacy of their own homes aren't hurting anyone and need to be left alone). Also, while I don't like the fact that there are lazy people on welfare who are leeching off of people who work hard, if they're otherwise law abiding, they have just as much of a right to vote as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I think we should come up with a list of requirements to vote and ask our congressmen

and women to put forth legislation to correct deficiencies

1. Provide your own income (be a productive member of society and not a welfare slug)
    2. Pass a drug screening
    3. NO FELONS, DEAD PEOPLE, CARTOON CHARACTERS OR MULTIPLE REGISTRATIONS
    4. No outstanding warrants for arrest
    5. Must have IQ of at least 85
    6. Must speak and read English
    7. MUST BE US CITIZEN
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I am a big fan of Heinlein, and I hate universal sufferage. Our Founding Fathers had voting requirements based on intent. They wanted people who had ties to their communities and were at least somewhat successful. They said only land owners could vote. This did lead to discrimination that, I believe, they did not intend, due to property ownership restrictions at the state and local levels.
    Heinlein, in Startship Troopers (great book, horrible movie), detailed out the philosophy of why only veterans should have the right to vote. Basically, they have proven, by putting their lives on the line, the group (country) is more important than themselves, and while they might not always be right, they would always try.

As a more practical solution in todays climate I would like to see the following:
    1. Proof you are a citizen before you are allowed to vote. Photo IDs people. If you aren't smart enough to get a photo ID, you aren't smart enough to vote. Stupid is stupid, I don't care what ethnicity or socio-economic class you are.

2. Write in ballots only, remove the names of the candidates from the ballot. If you don't know who you are voting for, what the hell are you doing voting in the first place. I would also allow a vote of "anyone but this person", and have the vote counted towards the person receiving the most votes, except the person written in (written out?). (you know, I don't care who get the office, as long as it isn't this jackass)
    And, if you can't write well enough to write the person's name, you shouldn't be voting, with exceptions for medical conditions that do not allow the use of the hands.

3. This one should be unpopular, if your primary means of support is the government (your primary job), you should not be allowed to vote. This would include welfare recipients, Social Security recipients (if you want to vote, don't take the money, although if your investment income is large enough for Social Security to be secondary, or if you still have a job, open to negotiation), Military, teachers, police, congressmen, etc. Told you it would be unpopular, but I would prefer to not have the people who make their living off of my dollars to be able to elect the people who give them more of my money.

So, my voter base would be literate, land owning veterans in the private sector, who occasionally pay attention to who is running for office.

Did I mention I am very much against universal sufferage?
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I disagtree totally with the Social Security requirement restriction. If the average worker could put the money they pay into Social Secuirty into an investment account at 1% interest and then draw it out at present rates they would never be able to clear out the funds if they live to be 200. The rest of you list is idiotic at best.

" Service guarantees citizenship"

Items 3,4,6 & 7 are definites, the rest are questionable. Just because someone is unable to work (if justified) is not a reason to deny voting. Will we ever see this? I don't know.

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation social security is not welfare

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I disagtree totally with the Social Security requirement restriction. If the average worker could put the money they pay into Social Secuirty into an investment account at 1% interest and then draw it out at present rates they would never be able to clear out the funds if they live to be 200. The rest of you list is idiotic at best.
    Welfare is for those who will not work. Social security is for those that have worked...and oh by the way most of my idotic list is already law. You are obviously uninformed and just looking for an arguement.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Welfare is for those who will not work. Social security is for those that have worked...and oh by the way most of my idotic list is already law. You are obviously uninformed and just looking for an arguement.

+1. The Bible says "He that does not work does not eat". It is one thing if a person has physical problems so bad that they can not work. It is another if they are just a lazy dumb a_ _ and wants to live off the backs of others.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast