Obama Praises Islam as 'Great Religion'
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Obama Praises Islam as 'Great Religion' within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Obama Praises Islam as 'Great Religion' - Political News - FOXNews.com Obama Praises Islam as 'Great Religion' President says Islam ...

Thumbs down Obama Praises Islam as 'Great Religion'

Obama Praises Islam as 'Great Religion' - Political News - FOXNews.com

President says Islam is "part of America," hails the religion's "commitment to justice and progress"

AP

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Obama at Ramadan dinner

Sept. 1: President Obama introduces college basketball player Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir at a dinner celebrating Ramadan in the State Dining Room at the White House. (Reuters)
    PEOPLE WHO READ THIS ALSO READ

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday praised American Muslims for enriching the nation's culture at a dinner to celebrate the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

"The contribution of Muslims to the United States are too long to catalog because Muslims are so interwoven into the fabric of our communities and our country," Obama said at the iftar, the dinner that breaks the holiday's daily fast.

The president joined Cabinet secretaries, members of the diplomatic corps and lawmakers to pay tribute to what he called "a great religion and its commitment to justice and progress."

Attendees included Congress' two Muslim members -- Reps. Keith Ellison and Andre Carson as well as ambassadors from Islamic nations and Israel's ambassador to the United States, Michael Oren.

Obama shared the story of Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir, another invited guest, who broke a state record for most career points as a Massachusetts high school student.

"As an honor student, as an athlete on her way to Memphis, Bilqis is an inspiration not simply to Muslim girls -- she's an inspiration to all of us," he said.

Obama also noted the contributions of Muhammad Ali, who was not in attendance, though the president borrowed a quote from famous boxer, explaining religion.

"A few years ago," Obama said, "he explained this view -- and this is part of why he's The Greatest -- saying, 'Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams -- they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do -- they all contain truths."'

Ramadan, a monthlong period of prayer, reflection and sunrise-to-sunset fasts, began Aug. 22 in most of the Islamic world. It is believed that God began revealing the Quran to Muhammad during Ramadan, and the faithful are supposed to spend the month in religious reflection, prayer and remembrance of the poor.

White House dinners marking the holy month are nothing new. Former President George W. Bush held iftars during his eight years in office.

Obama has made a special effort since taking office to repair U.S. relations with the world's Muslims, including visits to Turkey and Cairo. In a June speech at the Egyptian capital, as well as in one to another important Muslim audience, in Turkey, Obama said: "America is not -- and never will be -- at war with Islam."

Obama also released a video message to Muslims before the start to Ramadan. In the video, he said Ramadan's rituals are a reminder of the principles Muslims and Christians have in common,including advancing justice, progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

This is one sorry-ass excuse for a U.S. President.

Disgusting. Just saw this atrocity on EXPOSEOBAMA.COM

What an absolute outrage and a slap in the face to the victims of Islamic terrorism throughout the world.

TFO

To be fair, many of the true tenants of Islam are great, and very similar to Christianity.

The problem are those who use it as an excuse to exercise their hatred. The Islamic fundamentalist terrorists are to the Nation of Islam as the Crusaders were to Christianity: murderers who use God as a crutch to kill those they disagree with.

I don't condemn Muslims. I scorn murderers.

Xader,

I hear where you're coming from, but at this point, I got little patience with our current "president" (and I use the term only in the legal sense), kissing ANY Muslim ass. And that's what he's doing.

Oh, I am certainly not being an apologist. I think the guy represents nearly everything I hate.

I just wanted to point out that I respect TRUE Muslims, and that the opinion that Islam (in it's un-corrupted form) is a great religion is not one I disagree with. As with anything, it is the extremists and hate-filled that ruin it for the rest.

MADnMO is offline Jesus - Our Greatest HOPE

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    To be fair, many of the true tenants of Islam are great, and very similar to Christianity.

The problem are those who use it as an excuse to exercise their hatred. The Islamic fundamentalist terrorists are to the Nation of Islam as the Crusaders were to Christianity: murderers who use God as a crutch to kill those they disagree with.

I don't condemn Muslims. I scorn murderers.
    I live in the Show Me State so if there is a moderate Muslim presence out their, where are they? Why don't they speak out?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

Being the PC guy that he is, I'm actually surprised that Obama made a blanket statement that could be construed to apply to ALL Muslims rather than just the non-extremists. And, I have yet to hear anything about him correcting himself to make that distinction. I really don't think he's an apologist for the Islamic fundamentalist murderers, but in this day and age, even if only for the sake of political expedience, it's not a good idea to be seen in this light.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I'm almost ashamed to say this...but after watching Muslims dancing in the street after 9/11, and after viewing Daniel Perl getting his head sawed off, AND after finding out that some of the 9/11 terrorists had lived in neighborhoods for YEARS (and were known to be friendly out-going neighbors), I have trouble trusting any Muslim. That's called profiling, I guess, and I can live with it. When the "moderate" Muslims (do they exist?) speak out LOUDLY against the extremists, I might reconsider how I feel. Until then...

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I'm almost ashamed to say this...but after watching Muslims dancing in the street after 9/11, and after viewing Daniel Perl getting his head sawed off, AND after finding out that some of the 9/11 terrorists had lived in neighborhoods for YEARS (and were known to be friendly out-going neighbors), I have trouble trusting any Muslim. That's called profiling, I guess, and I can live with it. When the "moderate" Muslims (do they exist?) speak out LOUDLY against the extremists, I might reconsider how I feel. Until then...
    I think that I need it to go farther. I need to see "moderate" muslims acting against the extremists. They can talk all they want but without some action, it's just hot air.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast