DRUDGE HEADLINE US MILITARY snatches PROTESTER - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

DRUDGE HEADLINE US MILITARY snatches PROTESTER

This is a discussion on DRUDGE HEADLINE US MILITARY snatches PROTESTER within the Politics forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by festus 10. Nobody has heard from the govenor on this matter...WHO GAVE THE ORDERS???? I'll bet it ...

Cocked _and_Locked is offline Parts Maker

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    10. Nobody has heard from the govenor on this matter...WHO GAVE THE ORDERS????
    I'll bet it wasn't the Mayor of Pittsburgh!

We used to deploy to Atlanta every year for Freaknik...There were sf troops in plain clothes gather intel and blending, the rest of us stayed at different locations around town waiting to be called in....

Freaknik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The guard when activated by the Gov, is his to use.

When activated by the POTUS it is under Federal control, which I believe is what some people are not getting with the definition of the Posse law...

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    1. The Army Natl guard is partially funded by the states and partially funded by the US Gummint.
    2. The Govenor has the right to call up the guard within his/her state to assist with natural disasters, domestic riots and any thing else IF...it is deemed a state of emergency by said govenor.
    3. The guard guys and gals I know are just as fervent about their service as any Active Duty Members.
    4. The guard gets crapped on when deployed to warzones by the pentagon brass
    5. The people in the videos did not have the proper license for their event
    6. The cops/Natl guard went way overboard and deployed a lot of crowd control
    7. The sonic cannons used are a recent development and cause permanent hearing loss...nausea...and an overall sense of unreasonable anger (side affect of high intensity noise over 120db for extended periods)
    8. If I owned a business I would be glad someone was trying to keep the bricks out of my glass windows and store front.

9. The police should have been doing the arresting not some quasi military snatch and grab crap
    10. Nobody has heard from the govenor on this matter...WHO GAVE THE ORDERS????
    The PA on the videos posted stated under the Authority of the Mayor...
    That may have some legality as far as the police goes but not the National Guard...

I am pretty sure that to-date the Governor has said nothing on this...

And I found nothing thus far to support that what they were doing required a permit where they were protesting; (this varies quite a bit from local to local) and that if one was required they did not have one; it appears the Mayor Of Philly had a Ray Nagin or a Alexander Haig moment and usurped authority he did not have in the heat of the moment...

Additionally, apparently the streets they were on; were already closed for vehicle traffic, not pedestrian traffic...

I still contend that as previously posted, neither the Mayor or the Governor for that matter have the authority to use the National Guard for Police as they did; pursuant to the "Posse Comitatus Act" and the Constitution of the United States...

The Posse Comitatus Act is a United States federal law (18 U.S.C. 1385) passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction, with the intention (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) of substantially limiting the powers of the federal government to use the military for law enforcement. The Act prohibits most members of the federal uniformed services (today the Army, Air Force, and State National Guard forces when such are called into federal service) from exercising nominally state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) within the United States.

The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Act during peacetime.
    I also contend that it appeared most of the protesters were anarchists, were asking for trouble, but I did not see any personal or private property being destroyed; be that as it may; if they were U.S. Citizens they too have the right to their free speech, and since they were the only ones on the receiving end of the beat downs; apparent snatch & grabs, etc.,
    I would still have to say that the Police & the Mayor of Philly are the ones out of line here and not the anarchists...

There was no State of Emergency Declared by the Governor or the Mayor...

In my opinion, this was an abuse and usurpation of power & authority by the Mayor of Philly...

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    The PA on the videos posted stated under the Authority of the Mayor...
    Not that the video is credible in any way shape or form to start with. I suppose you believe everything you see on the Internet, right? But that authority may very well be delegated to him by the Govenor, for this purpose, under these circumstances. When was the last time you sat in on Gov. Rendell's staff meetings where these discussions took place? Do you think the PA Gov. has any tactical ops capability in Pittsburgh? Any frame of reference for that operation at all? Would he try to micromanage his troops in there? You are clueless.

What planet are you on, Bohemian? We are not talking about Philadelphia, and like gtijohn said, you are not getting the whole posse concept either. I think you and your buddy peacorp need to go back and review the facts before you spout off your pseudo-fanatasy quasi-posse-constitutional BS arguments like this.

Sheeeesh.

So, are we finally finished trying to misrepresent what the PA/Pittsburgh authorities were doing in maintaining security and order during the recent G20 summit in Pittsburgh?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567