John Quincy Adams.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

John Quincy Adams.

This is a discussion on John Quincy Adams. within the Religion and Guns (CLOSED) forums, part of the Main Category category; Golly the acknowledgment of Muslims as a threat was addressed long ago, I posted a "Tom Jefferson knew" thread now ...

Wink John Quincy Adams.

Golly the acknowledgment of Muslims as a threat was addressed long ago, I posted a "Tom Jefferson knew" thread now I bump into this, I wonder how many other in our past have likewise articulated in such maters....

John Quincy Adams on Islam

In the seventh century of the Christian era, a wandering Arab of the lineage of Hagar, [i.e. Mohamed] the Egyptian, combining the powers of transcendent genius, with the preternatural energy of a fanatic, and the fraudulent spirit of an impostor, proclaimed himself as a messenger from Heaven, and spread desolation and delusion over an extensive portion of the earth. Adopting from the sublime conception of the Mosaic law, the doctrine of one omnipotent God; he connected indissolubly with it, the audacious falsehood, that he was himself his prophet and apostle. Adopting from the new Revelation of Jesus, the faith and hope of immortal life, and of future retribution, he humbled it to the dust, by adapting all the rewards and sanctions of his religion to the gratification of the sexual passion. He poisoned the sources of human felicity at the fountain, by degrading the condition of the female sex, and the allowance of polygamy; and he declared undistinguishing and exterminating war, as a part of his religion, against all the rest of mankind. THE ESSENCE OF HIS DOCTRINE WAS VIOLENCE AND LUST: TO EXALT THE BRUTAL OVER THE SPIRITUAL PART OF HUMAN NATURE.

Between these two religions, thus contrasted in their characters, a war of twelve hundred years has already raged. That war is yet flagrant; nor can it cease but by the extinction of that imposture, which has been permitted by Providence to prolong the degeneracy of man. While the merciless and dissolute dogmas of the false prophet shall furnish motives to human action, there can never be peace upon earth, and good will towards men.... that this delusion should have been suffered for so many ages, and during so many generations of human kind, to prevail over the doctrines of the meek and peaceful and benevolent Jesus.

The precept of the koran is, perpetual war against all who deny, that Mahomet is the prophet of God. The vanquished may purchase their lives, by the payment of tribute; the victorious may be appeased by a false and delusive promise of peace; and the faithful follower of the prophet, may submit to the imperious necessities of defeat: but the command to propagate the Moslem creed by the sword is always obligatory, when it can be made effective. The commands of the prophet may be performed alike, by fraud, or by force...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

He is also quoted saying:

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

These days, if you want to know what really happened in the past, you need to get it yourself. What is the saying.....Seek and you shall find? Thank you Sheldon. Ol' John Q always seems to get a bad historical rap. It's good to see him hanging tough for a change. Even though the tone of this is nothing compared to angry Andrew Jackson, I'm sure the reportedly "Moderate Muslim" (I'm still trying to define that in real world terms!) Imam Rauf will turn it into more "Muslim blood on American hands." Even in the early 19th century John Q makes the distinction of how Muslim women are treated....Yikes!

Maybe it is just me, and I am missing something, but I am not seeing where John Quincy Adams was the author of the sections that this Dave Miller attributes to being from Adams. The apologeticspress.org doesn't have a link to email the author of the article so I can't confirm from Miller where he drew the conclusion it was Adam's words/opinions or writing.

Anyone else see what I am missing here?
    American annual register - Google Books

Page 267 is the start of the section where this first quote comes from. The quote is on page 269

Quote Originally Posted by brickler View Post
    Maybe it is just me, and I am missing something, but I am not seeing where John Quincy Adams was the author of the sections that this Dave Miller attributes to being from Adams. The apologeticspress.org doesn't have a link to email the author of the article so I can't confirm from Miller where he drew the conclusion it was Adam's words/opinions or writing.

Anyone else see what I am missing here?
    American annual register - Google Books

Page 267 is the start of the section where this first quote comes from. The quote is on page 269
    It's a religious site, you shouldn't expect to see any sort evidence/references/factual representation. I do find it funny they try to use an atheist to further their agenda though.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

In my brief search, John Q. was a Unitarian, which can mean a variety of things. I came across several sites claiming that he was not what another site claimed him to be... quite confusing, mind you!
    As reported above, it would clarify things a bit better if there was a reference to John Q in the American Annual Register. The Russo-Turkish War was going on at that time, and I am assuming that this was the big issue in Europe after the Napoleonic Wars. From what I was able to surmise, even as a Unitarian and an former ambassador/secretary to a number of European countries, it would make sense for John Q to speak out against the religion of the Turks and thus, be supporting the Russians. I can't prove this, but it seems to make sense in a contextual way.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    He is also quoted saying:

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816
    Humm I didn't know I titled the sub as John Quincy Adams on christianaty.... BOT this is about his observations on the danger of ISLAM.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Humm I didn't know I titled the sub as John Quincy Adams on christianaty.... BOT this is about his observations on the danger of ISLAM.....
    Maybe the focus should be christianity,if he believes it is most dangerous, or better yet the dangers of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Sheldon, it does not look like it was through fault of yourself, the article you linked to is titled that and so that is what the page converted the link to.

So the author of the article is claiming that the words are that of Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    Maybe the focus should be christianity,if he believes it is most dangerous, or better yet the dangers of religion.
    Well guess what I sub titled it something different, so if you want a Adams on Christianity thread go start one but here keep it on topic or don't post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast