Non-resident reciprocal Permits in SC - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Non-resident reciprocal Permits in SC

This is a discussion on Non-resident reciprocal Permits in SC within the South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Originally Posted by oldbanjo I'm from GA and I shop in GA often, I'm in the NRA and support GRASSROOTS. ...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    I'm from GA and I shop in GA often, I'm in the NRA and support GRASSROOTS. I carry a SC CWP and an out of State NH permit. One of my brothers lives in GA and has the same problem you have. I told him that the problem was that if you were breathing GA would give you a Permit, SC does try to be sure that the right people get their CWP. If you have a CWP in your state it should be excepted in ALL States.
    Have you ever had to show your NH non-resident permit in GA? Did you have any issues with it?
    Do you also have to show your SC permit with the NH non-resident?

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Have you ever had to show your NH non-resident permit in GA? Did you have any issues with it?
    Do you also have to show your SC permit with the NH non-resident?
    Since the SC permit is not honored by GA, there is no reason to show it while in GA.

I've never had to show it in GA. I don't think GA would want to see a CWP that they don't except, but they might because the NH has no picture. Then again the GA has no picture, it has a finger print (I think), now that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, a picture would be safer for everyone. That alone could be one of many reasons that SC won't except a GA Permit.

Living in SC and traveling to Fla often and Ga. I had to get a Fla non-res to satisfy Ga Law to CC. With neither GA or SC wanting to be good neighbors. I wasn't about to CC driving through Ga. and risk the chance of being stop and charged. (Felony in Ga.). Hundred and something dollars later I can now CC in 33 States to include the three I really cared about.
    Should I have to jump through all the hoops, NO. But reality dictates if I want to be legal, I must abide or take a LONG ride. As for showing my CWP's, never been asked. Guess I'm CC'ing well...........
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Living in SC and traveling to Fla often and Ga. I had to get a Fla non-res to satisfy Ga Law to CC. With neither GA or SC wanting to be good neighbors. I wasn't about to CC driving through Ga. and risk the chance of being stop and charged. (Felony in Ga.). Hundred and something dollars later I can now CC in 33 States to include the three I really cared about.
    Should I have to jump through all the hoops, NO. But reality dictates if I want to be legal, I must abide or take a LONG ride. As for showing my CWP's, never been asked. Guess I'm CC'ing well...........
    Yes, you're CC'ing well....but if you ever had to use the weapon you're concealing....then you're the BAD GUY! We need a national CCW. Crossing a state line should not make a legal act illegal. In my case, SC says I'm a criminal if I CC from NC to FL. Just like those businesses that choose to prohibit firearms (and which I, in turn, choose not to shop), SC ought to make their state a more friendly destination for me. As my calling card states, I have the disposable income to benefit their economy.
    Peace through Superior Firepower

All States should have the same requirements to obtain a CWP.. All States should have a picture on the CWP, GA has a finger print. I live in SC but the County that I live in will steal you blind, so I shop in GA as much as possible. Here's an example. I was buying 100 stainless screws they were $49.00, I said no way, I was asked if I was in their system, I was and was given another price of $19.00. I bought the screws and have not been in that business sense. People caught red handed with drugs, stealing and on parole with guns are turned loose here. I can't believe what I've been seeing. In another County I have a picture of a truck, tag also. and a witness and the Police did nothing.

The standard requirements is a good thought but since there is a very large group that believe that there should not be any requirement then the standard requirements will not get far. Unless all CWP laws are eliminated and every state adopts constitutional carry then universal requirements will be a lose situation for many states. I have mixed feelings on this as no two people seem to agree on the term reasonable restrictions. For example I do not think a 12 year old should be allowed to walk down Broadway in NY with an AK-47 slung over his shoulder. I do not think prisoners in jail should be allowed to carry a gun even if it is for personal protection. But were is the line drawn. Some of the examples may be stupid but where do we draw the line and that is the problem.

I was in Israel, and saw the off duty Military carrying their weapons while dressed in cut off blue jeans and "T" shirts. It can get unnerving when your trying to eat and you don't know whose side their own. Their required to have their weapon with them at all times, even while hitch hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    I was in Israel, and saw the off duty Military carrying their weapons while dressed in cut off blue jeans and "T" shirts. It can get unnerving when your trying to eat and you don't know whose side their own. Their required to have their weapon with them at all times, even while hitch hiking.
    I guess I am missing something - What point are you trying to make?

ForceTech is offline Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    There have been previous atempts to broaded the recriprocity rules in SC. I would like to see those efforts revived.
    Actually, the law was changed and South Carolina can now become reciprocal with any state that requires a "criminal background check and course in firearm training and safety." The law is posted below.

Now, if you are aware of a state that qualifies but is not on the SLED list (remember, Washington is now reciprocal but isn't on the list, and Delaware is NOT a reciprocal state), give SLED's Regulatory office a call and let them know. They will research it. That's how we got Florida, because when I called, SLED was under the impression that FL didn't require training, but when I pointed out the law, they looked researched it and signed an agreement within a few days.

23-31-215:
    (N) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast