SC now has CWP reciprocity with DE - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

SC now has CWP reciprocity with DE

This is a discussion on SC now has CWP reciprocity with DE within the South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; First, There is no law that mandates SLED has to post anything on the law. They don't have to. They ...

First, There is no law that mandates SLED has to post anything on the law. They don't have to. They should but they don't have to. I would bet if you look closely at the SLED sight there is a disclaimer somewhere that says they try to be correct with everything they post but it is up to the reader to confirm everything. Handgunlaw.us has the same disclaimer as I know it is impossible to know everything about any subject. Any website that tries to supply info especially about the law has such a disclaimer.

I have an email into the DE AG's office about the SC/DE Agreement. I got an email back from them saying my email was passed on to the proper person to answer my question in the AG's office thanking me for my email etc etc. It will be about a week and I will get something back. It will say yes they do or not they don't have a signed agreement. I also ask for a copy of the signed agreement giving them both my email and home address. If they have one I will most likely get a copy. We will just have to wait and see.

DE has jumped the gun in the past and listed states when they were just in the discussion state of the agreement and had to remove those states when I contacted them about it. They may have done that again. Like I said previously DE and SC are the two states that have been the most difficult to work with and get good info from. Again we will just have to wait and see.

But I believe there is an agreement already signed or will be in in the next several weeks. We will just have to wait and see.

Just for the readers' FYI, SLED does not make law in SC, and who we have reciprocity with is determined by very clear language of law. Even though SLED is tasked with determining which states qualify for reciprocity, they have very little wiggle room on requirements. By law, we cannot have reciprocity with any state that does not have permit issuance standards which are less than ours. Another state honoring a SC permit does not automatically qualify that state to have full reciprocity with SC.

The one sticking point SLED may have with DE is that SC requires a CWP training course that is a minimum of 8 hours. DE has no minimum training time requirement. With that exception, the requirements of DE are pretty stringent, requiring more live fire and covering essentially all the same training topics, and then some. Hopefully SLED will weigh all this and give DE carriers a thumbs up!

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
    SC Gun Laws, SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.

(N) Valid out of state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State. SLED shall make a determination as to those states which have permit issuance standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in this article and shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.

SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.
    The problem is that the law does not state how to publish the list and I don't know where list is actually published.

Just like this section has been ignored by SLED and is in clear violation of this law. It has been in effect long enough to have been required.

(T) During the first quarter of each calendar year, SLED must publish a report of the following information regarding the previous calendar year:

(1) the number of permits;

(2) the number of permits that were issued;

(3) the number of permit applications that were denied;

(4) the number of permits that were renewed;

(5) the number of permit renewals that were denied;

(6) the number of permits that were suspended or revoked; and

(7) the name, address, and county of a person whose permit was revoked, including the reason for the revocation under Section 23-31-215(J)(1).

The report must include a breakdown of such information by county.

ForceTech is offline Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Just for the readers' FYI, SLED does not make law in SC, and who we have reciprocity with is determined by very clear language of law. Even though SLED is tasked with determining which states qualify for reciprocity, they have very little wiggle room on requirements. By law, we cannot have reciprocity with any state that does not have permit issuance standards which are less than ours. Another state honoring a SC permit does not automatically qualify that state to have full reciprocity with SC.

The one sticking point SLED may have with DE is that SC requires a CWP training course that is a minimum of 8 hours. DE has no minimum training time requirement. With that exception, the requirements of DE are pretty stringent, requiring more live fire and covering essentially all the same training topics, and then some. Hopefully SLED will weigh all this and give DE carriers a thumbs up!

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
    SC Gun Laws, SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.

(N) Valid out of state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State. SLED shall make a determination as to those states which have permit issuance standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in this article and shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.

You have just made my point: The statute you quote and linked from the SLED website is out of date by more than two years. In the summer of 2008, the law was changed so that states only have to require a background check and a course in firearms training and safety to eligible for a reciprocity agreement. The "meets or exceeds our standards" was removed.

To see the current law, go to this link: S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS Look for: 23-31-215 (N)

My point is that for CWP holders and travelers from reciprocal states would logically go to the SLED website for updates.

Gary,

I appreciate the good work you and your team do at handgunlaw. Luke also works very hard on this site. I also think it is very apparent that the South Carolina CWP Instructors are very informed. Thank You to all.
    “Sworn to uphold and defend the United States Constitution against ALL enemies foreign and DOMESTIC”,for over 40 years.
    Owner, Self Defense CWP

G50AE is offline Banned

Thumbs down Sled

Quote Originally Posted by jdjon View Post
    Gary,

I appreciate the good work you and your team do at handgunlaw. Luke also works very hard on this site. I also think it is very apparent that the South Carolina CWP Instructors are very informed. Thank You to all.
    It's also very apparent that as far as law enforcement agentcies go, SLED realy scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceTech View Post
    You have just made my point: The statute you quote and linked from the SLED website is out of date by more than two years. In the summer of 2008, the law was changed so that states only have to require a background check and a course in firearms training and safety to eligible for a reciprocity agreement. The "meets or exceeds our standards" was removed.

To see the current law, go to this link: S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS Look for: 23-31-215 (N)

My point is that for CWP holders and travelers from reciprocal states would logically go to the SLED website for updates.
    Glad to be of service.

You are right, SLED is tasked by law to list and publish reciprocal states. Who is charged with deciding which state is reciprocal? Based on reading the law, it looks like it is simply defined in that paragraph. If a state requires a background check and safety and firearms training, they are a reciprocal state. But of course I'd need something in writing to recommend anyone who is not on SLED's list to carry here, even if their state covers all the bases.

SLED has the following reciprocity list published here: http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

You are right, SLED is tasked by law to list and publish reciprocal states. Who is charged with deciding which state is reciprocal? Based on reading the law, it looks like it is simply defined in that paragraph. If a state requires a background check and safety and firearms training, they are a reciprocal state. But of course I'd need something in writing to recommend anyone who is not on SLED's list to carry here, even if their state covers all the bases.
    I agree with you that SLED does not determine who has reciprocity or grants it. That is defined in law and SLED only publishes it. However I am not ready to be the test case but SLED is definitely in violation of the law on their requirements of the CWP codes. I think that the Chief of SLED should either be relieved of his duties (fired) or jailed until they have fullfilled the requirements of the laws.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234