Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit!

This is a discussion on Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit! within the South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Stuffed Suits - Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit! GrassRoots Gun Rights ' board of directors ...

Default Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit!

Stuffed Suits - Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit!

GrassRoots Gun Rights' board of directors has lost a lawsuit filed by Ed Looney and Ed Lown to bring the organization back into compliance with South Carolina state law governing their incorporation. The current "board members for life" have already filed an intent to appeal but unless they can find a judge who will rule in a way diametrically opposed to the law, they don't have a chance. The judge has ordered the attempt to reincorporate (so as to avoid the lawsuit through a mail-in ballot sent to the membership) null and void. He has also ordered the board to turn over the requested information.

More information will be posted as it is made available.
    This is an update to the following articles:

http://stuffedsuits.com/news/sc-politics/379-grassroots-gun-rights-the-full-story-

http://stuffedsuits.com/news/stating-the-obvious/42-stating-the-obvious/353-grassroots-in-court
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Default First I've heard of it...

This is the first I've heard of this issue but, from what I've just read, it sounds like they should have lost just as they did because they were not following the law. If you're going to incorporate you have to follow the laws you are covered under.

G50AE is offline Banned

What gunowners in SC need is a chapter of the Pinkpistols.

From everything I have read and mostly it was from GRGR directors themselves I don't know of any other way the judge could have ruled. This is not to say that I was in favor of Mr. Looney's lawsuit but to me the directors got caught making up the rules as they went along and then tried to cover it up with more screwed up shenanigans. The quotation "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" very much applies here as these men, the directors, have done many good things for our cause and are to be commended for that. To me they lost sight of it being a "Grass Roots" effort and made it their own cause,

I absolutely hope that GRGR will survive and become stronger because of this but there are a lot of fences to mend and a lot of personal hard feelings to get over before that can happen. If you find out more please keep us informed.

So, if the organization was illegally operating as a nonprofit corporation, does the board of directors now owe back taxes?

I am not a lawyer, nor have I ever played one on TV. However, in my opinion they may be liable for a lot of things. Back taxes could certainly be one of them. Probably court costs. Maybe the cost of their last minute vote to cover their behinds as well, which by my estimation cost about $4-5k for materials, printing and mailing. I also wonder if criminal charges could be in their future. Only time will tell.

The ironic thing as I see it, is if they had just held elections as some of us have asked about for years, they'd probably still hold their positions, we wouldn't be having this conversation and GRGR would still be grinding along with minimal membership and dwindling relevance with the SC legislature.

Hopefully after this wake up call, GRGR can come back as a strong and vital organization. Unfortunately I think at this point the "brand" may be damaged beyond repair.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Does it strike anyone else that they almost seem to be like if they don't admit they are in a problem it will simply go away ?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    Does it strike anyone else that they almost seem to be like if they don't admit they are in a problem it will simply go away ?
    Yes. It's called denial. A subject I've personally brought up with "GRGR" leadership several times over the last few years. I just hate to see the organization suffer because of the ego and arrogance of a select few, aided by the members who are too blind to see that they've been lied to all this time.

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Yes. It's called denial.
    And it's De River in De Nation of Egypt. If you properly set up corprate entites and pay the proper taxes and fees as the case may be, you shouldn't run into issues like this.

Some one else needs to pick up the ball that was dropped here. Fumble-itis this bad should get anyone benched.

In the meantime, this seems like a good place to organize and discuss issues to be individually followed up with our own representatives.

If we can just find away to get restaurant carry fixed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast