Regal Cinema - No Concealed Weapons Sign (Cherrydale)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Regal Cinema - No Concealed Weapons Sign (Cherrydale)

This is a discussion on Regal Cinema - No Concealed Weapons Sign (Cherrydale) within the South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I have a question regarding the Regal Cinema at Cherrydale in Greenville. They have a proper No Concealed Weapons Sign ...

Default Regal Cinema - No Concealed Weapons Sign (Cherrydale)

I have a question regarding the Regal Cinema at Cherrydale in Greenville. They have a proper No Concealed Weapons Sign posted. However, as I read the law it's not posted properly. It is not posted on a door but on a panel to the left of the entrance doors. It is no visible until you walk up to the doors and then only if you look directly to the left. Is this proper? Does it still apply?

Thanks

Dave James
    wolfgraphix@att.net
    C David James
    Gun Owner - CWP

Dave,

The applicable statute (Section 23-31-235) states:

"(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door."

The sign posting you have described may or may not be in complete compliance with the law, depending on the distance of the sign from the bottom of the adjacent door. The law does not appear to require that the sign be on the door itself. "Clearly visble from outside the building" is subjective, but your description seems to qualify. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance that a judge or jury is going to take your side if positioning of the sign misses the requirements by a few inches.

Mike

~OtisM~ is offline Banned

If u saw it, it applies. Rent.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by cdjames View Post
    I have a question regarding the Regal Cinema at Cherrydale in Greenville. They have a proper No Concealed Weapons Sign posted. However, as I read the law it's not posted properly. It is not posted on a door but on a panel to the left of the entrance doors. It is no visible until you walk up to the doors and then only if you look directly to the left. Is this proper? Does it still apply?

Thanks

Dave James
    wolfgraphix@att.net
    Proper or not, I'd find a better theater anyways.

In the OP you have some confusing wording...you can go back and edit it...I underlined the confusing part. So is it proper or is it not proper?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

,Legally it looks like not but I'll bet the people involved in the latest theater massacre wished someone would have broken the law and had a concealed weapon on them and maybe we wouldn't have so many casualties now. Too bad george zimmerman wasn't that theater hu!

My advice rent. That being said, I'll never let a stupid law put me or my family at risk.
    The movie theater utterly rapes you everytime you go anyway, do yourself a favor and rent
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mhbmd View Post
    The sign posting you have described may or may not be in complete compliance with the law, depending on the distance of the sign from the bottom of the adjacent door. The law does not appear to require that the sign be on the door itself. "Clearly visble from outside the building" is subjective, but your description seems to qualify.Personally, I wouldn't take the chance that a judge or jury is going to take your side if positioning of the sign misses the requirements by a few inches.

Mike
    That's right Mike, because we should never follow the letter of the law. Either the sign meets the requirement of 40-60 inches from the bottom of the door or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it has no force of law and you have therefore not broken said law. My guess based on other theaters I've seen is that it doesn't. Besides, I've never seen one of these theaters posted at all entrances so again the big picture is no force of law.

All that being said, except in extremely rare instances I will not spend my money in any establishment that's posted - lawfully or not. If all of my friends are not invited than neither am I or my dead President buddies either...
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

2016: Obama's America Playing at local Greenville theaters, get out and watch it.

2016: Obama's America - Google Search

I have not been to a movie in 25 years....We buy on Direct TV or rent.....The theaters have gotten outrageous in pricing......

But then I never was a big movie guy...Except when we were teens and we could smooch on the girls at the Drive In...Then I'd have paid any price!!!!
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

We hit the theaters every now and then, middle son is actor, local theaters are not posted, most likely would cost them business.

When a cinema can charge me filet mignon prices for popcorn and a soda, they can take their movies and their gun signs and shove them up their projector. Netflix is cheap, easy, and more convenient and I can eat an 18 wheeler full of popcorn for less money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast