Just passing through
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Just passing through

This is a discussion on Just passing through within the South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I am getting ready to travel to FL and was wondering hat the laws are in regards to transporting a ...

Default Just passing through

I am getting ready to travel to FL and was wondering hat the laws are in regards to transporting a firearm through South Carolina? I hold a valid VA CHP and I know SC does honor my permit so a little help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head:

No restaurants that serve alcohol.
    No publicly owned buildings
    No medical facilitys.

While traveling, you can't just put your gun anywhere in your car. If not on you, keep it in your glove compartment, center console, or in the luggage area. DO NOT keep it in the map pocket or under your seat.

If pulled over, you must inform the officer you are carrying.

in florida you can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol just don't sit at the bar part
    you can carry in public owned buildings but if the owner or management clocks you carrying and asks you to leave you best just leave
    and if you're pulled over you don't have to divulge you are carrying unless the officer specifically asks you
    gun control is being able to hit your target

So even though SC does NOT honor other states' CCW permits, you can drive through the state while CC as long as you have a permit from your home state? That doesn't sound right. I'm getting ready to drive from GA through SC to NC, and I need to know this too.

PackingPastor, you are incorrect. First, South Carolina does honor permits from some states. See this page from Handgunlaw.us: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
    This site provides a great summary of handgun laws for each state. Second, to carry CC in South Carolina, you must have a permit from South Carolina or a state South Carolina honors. With that said, while in South Carolina, you can carry in your car without a permit as long as it is in your glove compartment, center console, or trunk. If you don't have a trunk, you can keep it in the area that luggage is normally stored (in the very back area of a SUV) as long as the gun is in a latchable container. Not 100% certain, but I believe you can also carry it from your car to your hotel room if you go directly to the room without side trips.

Not mine! Can I carry in my car as I drive from GA to NC as long as my gun is locked in the trunk? Does it have to be unloaded and separated from the ammo?
    Luke 22:36 NKJV - "Then [Jesus] said to them, ". . . he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Exodus 22:2 NKJV - "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed."

I had a friend advise me to carry as normal and just not say anything about it if stopped for some reason. I'm hesitant to do that.
    Luke 22:36 NKJV - "Then [Jesus] said to them, ". . . he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Exodus 22:2 NKJV - "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed."

You can carry loaded in glove compartment, center console, or in a sealed/latchable container in luggage compartment. No problem (see Page 5 of the link in my earlier post); however, I wouldn't have it in my glove compartment and open it infront of an officer (for registration and insurance cards) without telling him first.

If you choose to have the weapon on you without a permit and don't tell the officer, consider this. When he runs your license plate, Georgia may inform him that you have a CWP and raise the officer's suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by mudshark100 View Post
    If you choose to have the weapon on you without a permit and don't tell the officer, consider this. When he runs your license plate, Georgia may inform him that you have a CWP and raise the officer's suspicions.
    Why would GA inform SC about a GA Firearms License, when SC won't honor GA's or AL, or MS.

Quote Originally Posted by PackingPastor View Post
    Not mine! Can I carry in my car as I drive from GA to NC as long as my gun is locked in the trunk? Does it have to be unloaded and separated from the ammo?
    You can carry in the glove box or console in SC without any problems---

-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast