Survival challenge!

Survival challenge!

This is a discussion on Survival challenge! within the Survival Related forums, part of the Other category; Here is a good challenge... Figure out how far you can go on a single tank of gas. Reduce that ...

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation Survival challenge!

Here is a good challenge...

Figure out how far you can go on a single tank of gas. Reduce that range by 10% and start plugging it into topographical maps of your region. This will give you a good starting point for making bug-out plans. You will have an idea of where campgrounds, state parks, natl. forests and other places of refuge may be in the event that you need it. If you can, store the information separately from the maps. This will give you an additional level of security. Good luck and start planning. A good plan now beats a perfect plan that is not executed every single time!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Thank You For That Post. Point Well Taken.

With traffic during a real emergency, I fear about 2.5 miles even on the "back" roads. That is the problem with living in a heavily populated, limited access, urban area.

Bangba is offline "Informed $ Independent"

Hay Guys, Having said all this who would you share your plan with?

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation Only Family

Quote Originally Posted by Bangba View Post
    Hay Guys, Having said all this who would you share your plan with?
    Only Family they are what matters!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Only Family they are what matters!
    I'd say I agree, but what you can do alone, you can only do more/better with someone or another family you practice with. I have a few friends that are combat vets like myself, so I know a few people I'd stick with if the SHTF.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

Primarily family. Perhaps a few very close friends under the right circumstances. Very few.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

AR Hammer is offline Deaf & Powder Burned...

Actually, I do things a little differently.

I have cultivated relationships with people like doctors, veterinarians, nurses, electrical engineers, and other trades people.
    We invite them out for shooting sports, target shooting rifles, clay shooting, camp outs and 'yard parties'.

It's just as easy to be friends with these people as it is anyone else, and they aren't the kind that shows up empty handed when they visit or camp out...

I have made mention that I'm expanding the 'Farm' as I can afford to,
    We have two water sources, most tools needed to build/repair about anything, underground storage that can be used as emergency living quarters, redundant alternative energy, ect.
    And the conversation has rolled around to 'Worst Case' disasters before...

The idea is to let them know they CAN show up and will be sheltered. (and put to work, since they are all 'Professionals' with particular skill sets, they WILL and DO come in handy!)

Recently, some construction trade guys I hang around with built us a NICE 'Privy' with scrap materials they carried off a job site instead of burning like they were told to do...
    Latrine pit, privy, outdoor shower with reserve tank, ect.

It was under the guise of having a Privy next to the place we camp, and a couple of them keep small campers out here, so I pretty much know which way they will go if something goes horribly wrong!

I don't want a bunch of 'Survival At Any Cost' types showing up,
    I want people that CAN & WILL WORK for their room/board/security, not someone that will take your stockpiled food at gunpoint or worse...

Besides, working people, nurses, construction workers, ect.
    People with jobs are much more pleasant to be around than the 'Militia' and 'Conspiracy' crowd!
    When the subject of politics, basketball or religion comes up, there are some spirited conversations, and a few jokes, but we don't have to hear about every half cocked idea that has floated over the internet in the last 10 years!

These people are used to working every day, used to taking orders, VERY good at what they do so they don't have that big chip on their shoulders some of the 'Survivalist' and 'Militia' guys do...
    I figure in a worst case scenario, I'll put the Commune in Community and we'll make room for family, friends and neighbors that can and will work for their keep!

We won't last long if everybody is fighting everybody else...
    Trade will and MUST happen for about anyone to survive,
    And being ready to help someone out is the best way to achieve that goal.

My situation is I want to be as self sufficient as I can be, mostly to reduce debt, increase security in my future...
    The key word is SECURITY, as in having a roof over my head, food to eat, clean water to drink and medical attention when I need it...

We COULD have up to 40 acres of 'Garden' and livestock here, and that will support a lot of people with 'Minimum' requirements if it should come down to that, like it did in the 'Great Depression'.
    Make people your FAMILY, even if they weren't born into you 'Clan'...
    And that will NEVER be a bad thing!