Treating wounds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Treating wounds

This is a discussion on Treating wounds within the Survival Related forums, part of the Other category; Well unlike a lot of the posters in this section, I don't have much in the way of formal survival ...

Default Treating wounds

Well unlike a lot of the posters in this section, I don't have much in the way of formal survival training. A lot of it comes from what my father (Air Force) and other family members (mostly Marine) have taught me. However I have picked up some stuff on my own from being young, dumb and full of....well anyways.

This first tip certainly won't directly save your life, however it is a good way to stop bleeding that isn't major (IE Artery). I used to work HVAC, and I quickly discovered that the foil tape that we use is an excellent bandage. In the HVAC industry deep cuts from sheet metal are common, and band aids just don't cover it. The foil tape isn't all that adhesive on anything other than metal, but it seems that whatever adhesive they use is an excellent coagulant. I have stopped cuts on my fingers and hands down to the bone with this wonderful tape. For this very reason I keep a small folded up strip in my wallet. You can find the stuff at lowes or home depot in the duct working sections. I know it sounds stupid, but it really is a wonderful little bandage. Admittedly if it's on or near a joint it will hinder mobility, but it only really needs to be on there for a few minutes for it to take effect.

From personal experience I can tell you trying to stitch yourself up is a bad idea. I tried it once to save on hospital bills (no health insurance at the time). I managed, but I got a mild infection thankfully I had some left over antibiotics from another incident. I actually had the proper equipment for it at the time, but I did get to thinking that if need be a light weight fishing hook could be filed down into a decent stitching needle. If you can lessen the curve with some pliers, but I'm not sure how malleable fish hooks actually are, trying to bend it may just end up shattering it. Remove the barb, if it's a heavy one thin it out a little and you're pretty much golden. It's not ideal, but if you're in a dire situation I think it would certainly do the job. Keep in mind infection is a big concern, but it takes a couple days or more to become debilitating. On a lesser note, super glue also works for small cuts, but for the big stuff it just won't cut it.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

I have found myself with gauze and electrical tape around a finger or two in the automotive repair days.

I have removed some stitches in the past, but have never attempted to administer them. I have been lucky in the past few years with cuts.

I'll have to get some of that tape for the first aid kit in the truck.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Good recipes for upping the chance of SERIOUS complications.

Imagine the liability if someone reads your so called advice and suffers a complication!

imagine the civil judgements as well as felony charges of practicing medicine without a license!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Good recipes for upping the chance of SERIOUS complications.

Imagine the liability if someone reads your so called advice and suffers a complication!

imagine the civil judgements as well as felony charges of practicing medicine without a license!

-Doc
    You seriously think someone could recover damages in a court of law by saying: "Well, he posted it on a website"?

I doubt he could be accused of practicing medicine w/o a license.

Course, given the idiotic rulings I"ve seen in my lifetime, nothing would surprise me at this point.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    You seriously think someone could recover damages in a court of law by saying: "Well, he posted it on a website"?

I doubt he could be accused of practicing medicine w/o a license.

Course, given the idiotic rulings I"ve seen in my lifetime, nothing would surprise me at this point.
    They could get your ISP, ID you, and make you spend a fortune defending yourself in court.

If someone were to die after this so called advice, A zealous prosecutor (remember that FB -I think it was suicide involving a kid) could put you at risk for life and liberty.

Suturing someone's wounds without a license? Definitely a prosecutable offense. A no-brainer, slam-dunk, straightforward case in any state!

Besides, it is totally stupid to give un(medically)educated, amateur advice for something as serious as wound care.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    They could get your ISP, ID you, and make you spend a fortune defending yourself in court.

If someone were to die after this so called advice, A zealous prosecutor (remember that FB -I think it was suicide involving a kid) could put you at risk for life and liberty.

Suturing someone's wounds without a license? Definitely a prosecutable offense. A no-brainer, slam-dunk, straightforward case in any state!

Besides, it is totally stupid to give un(medically)educated, amateur advice for something as serious as wound care.

-Doc
    Anyone who willingly and knowingly treats a serious injury on their own in a situation in which real medical help is available with some advice they read on a web site that is dedicated to information related to open and concealed carry of firearms, should in my opinion seek medical attention for a mental health problem.
    If I were a jury member it would be a non issue.

I'm guilty of giving poor advice, I'll stipulate that. Hey, I think we all have done it at some time in life,
    But treating a serious wound on your self or someone else with "internet advice"?

That's almost as dumb as letting the federal government have control of our health care... Uh... Wait.. Oh crap I think that's coming...

I'm sick and tired of being told I could be found guilty for the stupidity of others.

Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post

I'm sick and tired of being told I could be found guilty for the stupidity of others.

Peace...
    OH Boy 6SC... That's a mouthfull...
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    OH Boy 6SC... That's a mouthfull...
    Yea kinda almost like fightin words...

Best to use items in a properly stocked first aid kit whenever possible. There will be times when you'll have to improvise the best you can to administer first aid (as in stop the bleeding) while waiting for medical care. With that said, proper medical care is recommended ASAP.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Anyone who willingly and knowingly treats a serious injury on their own in a situation in which real medical help is available with some advice they read on a web site that is dedicated to information related to open and concealed carry of firearms, should in my opinion seek medical attention for a mental health problem.
    If I were a jury member it would be a non issue.

Peace...

That's why I only get medical info from watching ER and House.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast