bug-out-bag
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

bug-out-bag

This is a discussion on bug-out-bag within the Survival Related forums, part of the Other category; So I'm getting ready to build a BOB (bugoutbag) and would love some examples of your own and some advice. ...

Default bug-out-bag

So I'm getting ready to build a BOB (bugoutbag) and would love some examples of your own and some advice. Thanks!

The more I look into this the more questions I have as well. Like where am I bugging out to? From where I may be stuck to where I need to get to (Home? A place of gathering for family?) Or a permanent bug out bag?

As I've started laying out mine and started "prepping" a bit, there is one thing I've come to understand. IF your or my, main plan is to bug out LONG term and not return to my house or somewhere else with supplies. You and I can save a LOT of money on prepping because there is NO way to carry all of the necessary items for long term survival in one bag and cover any kind of ground without resupply.

A great example, I just bought 800 rounds of .45 ammo (Got a good deal on some range ammo), I also have similar amounts in other calibers. While carrying the 800 rounds in the house, I realized there is NO way in god's green earth I could cary just that ONE round in any kind of quantity for a very long distance. Now add a second or third caliber and you are weighted down way too much in just ammo. So if you are going to bug out long term go with a .22 rifle and pistol, not because it's the best round for any one thing, but because it's the only one you can carry 1000 rounds and walk anywhere lol.

Then I'd go with good boots, knife, fire making materials, water filter, some light weight food, and some other basics. But remember you are carrying it! So keep it VERY light or you won't be moving fast and if you move slow your journey will be short....

Maybe this is obvious, but put everything you think you need in your pack and just try to walk 5 miles, let alone roam the earth for the rest of your days....I plan to bug IN unless there is no other choice, then I will take the car. But I'm not stuck in an urban environment, and I have 3 young children you better believe they aren't walking far, fast or QUIET. So bugging out is not an option really for me. I need to plan FAR ahead and see trouble on the horizon and leave to safer areas well before there is no other choice. For that, I have all the preps I need.

Just my two cents....But I do at least minimum prep and think everyone should. But I also think that I was on the wrong path at first but caught myself soon enough that I saved myself a lot of money!

There a a lot of pre-packaged bug-out-bags available for purchase. You may save a lot of money by putting one together yourself. I recommend you consider the time and effort required to accumulate all that you may need. With gas prices at $4.00/gal, I find internet shopping can save a lot. The Jim Bakker Show is a good source for info. Check out their Ultimate Survival bat at:
    Ultimate Survival Bag
    I am not trying to start a conversation about Pastor Bakker or recommending anyone purchase from his ministry.

My bug out bag is for my truck . Get home with family where I Can holdout for awhile
    When liberals run out of other people's right to infridge upon, how many will give up theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by TlWheatley View Post
    My bug out bag is for my truck . Get home with family where I Can holdout for awhile
    This is one of my ideas as well. If you think about it, you-know-what may hit the fan at any moment, and you may just be at work or far away from home when things start going down, so having a bag in your truck is a good idea so you can have things to help you get home.

I want a bag in my truck so that if I am at work, I can ditch the truck and take my bag full of supplies with me to get to my destination. I want fire starters, a few loaded magazines, couple MREs, maybe some kind of camo jacket, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    This is one of my ideas as well. If you think about it, you-know-what may hit the fan at any moment, and you may just be at work or far away from home when things start going down, so having a bag in your truck is a good idea so you can have things to help you get home.

I want a bag in my truck so that if I am at work, I can ditch the truck and take my bag full of supplies with me to get to my destination. I want fire starters, a few loaded magazines, couple MREs, maybe some kind of camo jacket, etc.
    This is exactly what I want/need to put together....that's my biggest fear, I travel a lot for work and I'm always a little worried that if the shtf while out of town, getting back may not be very easy....

This broken up into 4 bags for a family of 4

1 emergency blanket per family member
    1 emergency poncho per family member
    2 pair socks per family member
    TP
    wet wipes
    germidical medical wipes
    zippo
    lighter fluid
    magnesium fire starter
    72hr food kit from Wise
    8 20oz bottles water
    multi-tool (leatherman)
    large 'survival' knife
    3" folder knife x2
    gloves
    Ruger MKII with 3 mags
    500rd of 22lr
    compass
    2 bottles of water purifier (50pills/bottle)
    6 sterno
    2 flashlights
    duct tape
    electrical tape
    paracord (100')

Seperate bag of first aid supplies
    quickclot (sponges not granule)
    sutures
    anitdiarea
    aspirin
    orajel
    antibiotics (rotate often)
    lidocaine (topical OTC)
    moldable split
    airways
    triangle bandages
    hot packs
    cold packs
    various size sterile bandages
    medical tape
    ace bandages

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

A BOB is a bare minimum bag set up to grab and go. Weight is going to be a major factor, the more you carry the slower you are. Desserteagle has a good point about having a BOB in your vehicle in order to get home or to another destination. I keep survival supplies in my vehicle in case of breakdown. I will only bug out if there is no other choice. If you do go with the BOB options then you need to make one for each member of the family. Kids may have clothing and a favorite toy. The very young might be a part of your BOB. Water, food, shelter, heat, and defense are just basic categories to include.

You might also consider what you would take if you had a vehicle. I suspect that much of this stuff is not used that often and could be packed up ahead and stored in a handy spot. Other items, such as pantry inventory, should be identified so as to keep last minute decisions to a minimum. You might want to practice loading your vehicle. Deciding which items to put in first and exactly how they go together will save a bunch of time and could mean taking more with you. Finding out at the last minute that you don't have room for the mother-in-law might not be a problem but if you haven't made provision for the dog the whole family would be set in turmoil.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

First aid supplies, a good flashlight, chem lights, extra ammo, and a good, rugged lensatic compass
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast