Animals You Didnít Know You Could Eat - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Animals You Didnít Know You Could Eat

This is a discussion on Animals You Didnít Know You Could Eat within the Survival Related forums, part of the Other category; Coincidence, I just found this: Poisonous Animals You Can't Eat : Discovery Channel Also at the bottom is "Plants you ...

Coincidence, I just found this:

Poisonous Animals You Can't Eat : Discovery Channel

Also at the bottom is "Plants you cannot eat".

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

I knew all about Goat milk, goat cheese etc, but I did not know people regularly eat goat meat.

Shoobee is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by misunderstood View Post
    Got a bigger challenge for you. Give me list of animals i cant eat. Lol.
    Excellent point!

Poisonous tree frogs are definitely not a good idea to eat, although they work great on arrow heads or blow guns for hunting monkeys.

Cane toad is poisonous as well. And their tadpoles are very toxic to eat.

And the Japanese have this sushi treat called fugu which you cannot eat too much of either, just a little bit. We call it pufferfish.

I also would not try catching an electric eel with your hands, although I am sure it tastes just like any other eel meat, soft and greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletTrainingLtd View Post
    I knew all about Goat milk, goat cheese etc, but I did not know people regularly eat goat meat.
    Down in Old Mexico (not to be confused with New Mexico) they serve grilled goat at street vendor stands. It is highly spiced with barbeque sauce, because the meat tastes really musky. I tried it and it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Naybor View Post
    Coincidence, I just found this:

Poisonous Animals You Can't Eat : Discovery Channel

Also at the bottom is "Plants you cannot eat".
    Good list. That has most of the ones I thought of too, but they forgot the tree frogs and toads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayb View Post
    Have tried frog legs, other than gagging from knowing what they were, not bad. Alligator, rabbit and rattlesnake are actually quite good. Jelly fish and stingray not so much. In Costa Rica you can try "tree chicken" (iguana) in some restaurants on the coast, pretty good.
    In Morocco they regularly grill and season frog legs. The spice they use is like red Season-All and very good. They will bring you a big basket of these as an appetizer, and they taste really good. I think that if you salt anything enough, it will taste just fine.

Remember that the Donner Company and the soccer players in the plane crash in the Andes proved that you can eat anything if you are starving, even without any spices on it. The survival manuals tell you to start your eating early, not wait until you are starving yourself to begin to eat. There is a certain point you can reach in the process of starvation from which there is then no return. So that is the lesson learned there. And the thing to keep in mind.

Goat is good, rabbit and duck also
    In a survival situation ground squirrel, birds.
    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē

mmckee1952 is offline Banned

In the Philippine’s it's quite common to come across a vender selling monkey meat on the street, although I didn't know at the time I ate it, I didn't find it that bad, with a little hot sauce on the side, I always keep the hot sauce handy.

I guess few here have watched Andrew Zimmern on The Travel Channel. There is very little in the world that contains protein that isn't eaten, even things that are poisonous. HŠkarl, for example.

Raccoon is some really good eating, if all of the musk glands are removed. It is literally inedible if you miss one. Same as with goat, which is now available already butchered locally with the influx of Mexicans in the area. Squirrels, pigeon, other little animals that are found in most parks, are delicacies around the world. There are things that I would not consider eating unless starving, but if it means survival, I'll never say never.

I just hope and pray that I never have to eat slugs, grubs, worms, etc.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast