Open carry sign question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Open carry sign question

This is a discussion on Open carry sign question within the Tennessee Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; On a recent stop for fuel I noticed the attached sign on the window next to the doors for the ...

Default Open carry sign question

On a recent stop for fuel I noticed the attached sign on the window next to the doors for the store. I looked through some of the stickies and am wondering if this is even a "legal" sign since it's not on every public entrance? Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1341770539603.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  49.4 KB

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Depends on the State you're in and the applicable statutes. However it's petty clear to me that open carrying into such an establishment will cause a confrontation that you're going to loose.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Even if open carry is legal in your area, a business has the ability to make it's own policy as to who or what they allow inside their doors. No different than saying 'No Shirt, No Shoes, No service." Nothing illegal about running around without shoes or shirt.
    Last edited by harlock69; 07-08-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: misspelling

Yes it is legal, it does not have to be on every entrance, they could just have one inside if they wanted. It is private property. They only person/ persons aloud to open carry, conceal carry on private property even if posted not to. Are sworn peace officers, active or retired ( retired with an endorsement from his or her Dept.)

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Clark View Post
    They only person/ persons aloud to open carry, conceal carry on private property even if posted not to. Are sworn peace officers, active or retired ( retired with an endorsement from his or her Dept.)
    Please cite that statute that specifically allows a retired cop to carry a firearm against the property owner's wishes on private property.

OP: Doesn't matter if the sign has the force of law or not as soon as you walk through that do they're going to tell you to leave and that does have the force of law
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

TN law says it must be on all entrances... One entrance is good enough for me, I wouldn't test it... lol

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Depends on the State you're in and the applicable statutes. However it's petty clear to me that open carrying into such an establishment will cause a confrontation that you're going to loose.
    I posted this in the TN forum for that reason

Quote Originally Posted by ratboyracer View Post
    TN law says it must be on all entrances... One entrance is good enough for me, I wouldn't test it... lol
    I agree and was going to cite this for a previous poster, but this is not on an entrance. If you can successfully enter a 10x8 plate glass window without damage I would enjoy seeing that. As far as testing it, I always test it at my local mall because of the 20 or so entrances to the place only 1 has a "gun buster" sign and it's actually on a display board 15 feet past the door.

Treo: I agree their place their rules. And upon being asked to leave I would have to comply.

Also for people in this forum not from TN, the state allows OC with permit but unless I was going to the range or field I never OC my gun.

Cal. Penal code PC 12027 states that any honorably retired peace officer with an endorsement from there Dept. To carry a concealed weapon my carry anywhere in the state. School property, private property, and Government property are not excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Clark View Post
    Cal. Penal code PC 12027 states that any honorably retired peace officer with an endorsement from there Dept. To carry a concealed weapon my carry anywhere in the state. School property, private property, and Government property are not excluded.
    Cal. Penal code would have no jurisdiction in Tennessee would it?

I added concealed carry to my first thread, I would never open carry unless in uniform. Also most laws pertaining to retired peace officers are universal from state to state, since George Bush Jr. Signed into law US 208. I may be wrong on the number but not the fact that there is a US statue covering active and retired peace officers, allowing them to carry in every state. This law was signed in a effort to have more armed peace officers active and retired carrying nation wide, in an effort to help with Homeland Security. Everything changed after 9/11.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast