Does anyone tell me how many acres you must own to shoot 50 Caliber and automatics? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Does anyone tell me how many acres you must own to shoot 50 Caliber and automatics?

This is a discussion on Does anyone tell me how many acres you must own to shoot 50 Caliber and automatics? within the Texas Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I have since found similar info about their being no land restrictions. I know this is why you got to ...

Default Thanks everyone

I have since found similar info about their being no land restrictions. I know this is why you got to love Texas, but they have just 20 acres and they are shooting in my property's direction. The Texas Tornado Bootcamp is operating on the twenty acres doing dirt bike clinics with world champs. They have a big backstop for the big guns they are shooting mostly on weekends. I have a problem in that neighbors are thinking it's me making the noice
    !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45:245440
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    Dude, that's like saying "A long as your pan is a half a cup long by two cups wide it should be big enough for that meatloaf recipe."
    SO, if what YOU WRITE is offensive, it is ok, but I cannot write the same way?

I NEVER "try" to be offensive or abusive, it is just the way I am, deal with it...

I refuse to be "politically correct" because it only hides the TRUTH about things.....

If you cant handle the straight truth, you need to go elsewhere......
    Straight truth is one thing. What you put out is vomit.

I have been told that a hunting rifle slug can carry 4 miles. I would think a .50 cal. could top that.

In the country it is not unusual to hear reports very often of all sorts. A Mosin is the loudest thing I shoot but if it was a problem I would set up some sound absorbing panels to prevent neighbor problems. Shooting from within a small building might be just the trick to muffle the sound.

I have a good friend who has a range on his property, and is surrounded by other property owners. He canvassed all of them, asked them to come see his setup to assure them of its safety and that it was properly situated. Then they agreed upon certain days/hours he would shoot. Everything was up front and open, agreed on at the outset, and written into a document of consent, of some sort. Hasn't had any problems since.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    I cant believe this was even asked... And I find it harder to believe that no posters up to this point have even the slightest clue in what the answer is... SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!!!!!

If you are on your own land, you can do WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT, as long as what you do doesnt infringe on the rights of others (no, noise in the middle of the day doesnt infringe, middle of night, maybe...) As long as you make sure you have an adequate backstop, you can shoot anything you want........ It does not matter if you only have a 20 yd range..... as long as the backstop stops the rounds.....

Disclaimer: it may very well be a law in some counties that you need a certain amount of land to shoot lawfully... but that, in my eyes is absolutely asinine and unconstitutional....
    Restoring my faith.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Retired Grunt, your answer was the most helpful. Yes, the noise is a disturbance, more so to my neighbors and my dogs, but your point regarding the dispersion angles is actually more of a concern for safety. They are shooting those guns in the direction on my property and as they entertain people from all over the country to motor cross ride with the Texas Tornado, they may not be the most experienced in firing those weapons. Thank you for your advice. We will be looking for any signs of damage on our property.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    I have a good friend who has a range on his property, and is surrounded by other property owners. He canvassed all of them, asked them to come see his setup to assure them of its safety and that it was properly situated. Then they agreed upon certain days/hours he would shoot. Everything was up front and open, agreed on at the outset, and written into a document of consent, of some sort. Hasn't had any problems since.
    Perhaps, this is what I need to do.

A fellow opened up skeet range near here out in the country where he owned a good bit of land. I don't know the exact size but before too long he started getting complaints about the noise. It wound up in court and he had to close the range. The problem was noise rather than safety. I seriously dount that you will find any set restriction on acreage for shooting rather restrictions on backstop, noise and sefety. All you really need is about 1/2 acre as long as you can control the noise and where the bullets go (indoor reange).

I dont think it goes by how many acers you have. Just takes a good back stop. And Common Sence.
    But thats just me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast