Guns stored in vehicles in public school parking lots? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Guns stored in vehicles in public school parking lots?

This is a discussion on Guns stored in vehicles in public school parking lots? within the Texas Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I understand what you are saying, but I will suggest the definition of "premises" may prevail, in that the parking ...

JSDinTexas Guest

I understand what you are saying, but I will suggest the definition of "premises" may prevail, in that the parking lot is not considered part of the restricted premises. However, since the Labor Code uses the word "property" there may be some conflict. And is school property considered an extension of the "school district?" I might say yes to that. So while I stick to what I said, I will take consideration of your reply.

Interesting point. Thanks for the additional comments.

Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but I will suggest the definition of "premises" may prevail, in that the parking lot is not considered part of the restricted premises. However, since the Labor Code uses the word "property" there may be some conflict. And is school property considered an extension of the "school district?" I might say yes to that.
    I know this thread is old but I thought I'd throw this in because I'm not sure how it factors in. I'm pretty sure this effectively kills our right to keep a firearm locked in our car in the parking lot of a school with which we are employed if the school district prohibits it in their policy.

LC 52.061. RESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.
    Sec. 52.062. EXCEPTIONS. (a) Section 52.061 does not:
    (2) apply to:
    (B) a school district;

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

In Texas all the way to the school house door, no entry then.

gejoslin is offline Illegitimi non carborundu

Thanks for links. Well done!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Oklahoma just passed a new law allowing a licensed carrier to leave their gun in their car, out of sight, while on elementary school property. This goes into effect Nov. 1, 2014. This is a great improvement as they were not allowing law officers dressed for work to come onto the property to drop off or pick up their own children while carrying. Much less, John Doe with his Carry License.

Tapatalk

I occasionally drop granddaughters off or pick up at their respective schools (Texas) I carry. and as long as i am not in the School proper(Building sports field). I believe i have no legality issues. If i had to go into the school, i can discretely lock my firearm in a steel case to leave in vehicle.

MDT

The wife, aka employee of district, must obtain an agreement with the district (it is at their discretion) on where and how she can have a firearm locked in the car. Several districts now have teachers with appropriate training to carry on school property. Teachers are not like parents, who, if they have a valid CHL can carry their firearm on property but not enter the premises with one.
    Texas Shooting and Safety Academy
    www.txshootsafe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey9 View Post
    In Oklahoma, no guns on school property at all including parking lots. Not supposed to carry when picking up your child.no. not even in your vehicle. This is what I understand
    Same in WV. Actually, no firearms within 500 feet of a public school are permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
    Same in WV. Actually, no firearms within 500 feet of a public school are permitted.
    I do believe in WV you are permitted to carry in your vehicle when dropping off or picking up a student on school property.

According to WV &61-7-11a (b)(1), there are no exceptions to allow a loaded firearm on public school property for CCW permit holders. Section (2)(C) of the same, states an unloaded firearm is permitted by a CCW permit holder locked in the vehicle or in the vehicle on the person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast