Transporting handgun in SC

Transporting handgun in SC

This is a discussion on Transporting handgun in SC within the Traveling With Handguns forums, part of the Handguns category; In SC the law says handguns must be in the glove box or trunk. My ruger super redhawk will not ...

flat is offline flat

Default Transporting handgun in SC

In SC the law says handguns must be in the glove box or trunk. My ruger super redhawk will not fit in my glovebox and my truck has no trunk. How do I legally transport?

In a guncase behind the "rear" most seat or in your luggage should be fine.

The important thing in SC is: "NOT" to have your firearm readily accessible.

Read and heed, my fellow SC brother:

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SECTION 16-23-10. Definitions.

(10) “Luggage compartment” means the trunk of a motor vehicle which has a trunk; however, with respect to a motor vehicle which does not have a trunk, the term “luggage compartment” refers to the area of the motor vehicle in which the manufacturer designed that luggage be carried or to the area of the motor vehicle in which luggage is customarily carried. In a station wagon, van, hatchback vehicle, or sport utility vehicle, the term “luggage compartment” refers to the area behind, but not under, the rearmost seat. In a truck, the term “ luggage compartment” refers to the area behind the rearmost seat, but not under the front seat.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

G50AE is offline Banned

You can also get a concealed carry permit and carry it on your person, concealed.

When I carried mine I made sure that I had a Hunting and Fishing licenses and I put it in a case with my rifles. If your going hunting or fishing in SC there is no restrictions on how to transport a weapon by a licensed hunter or fisherman. I carried a MD36 in a shoulder holster way before CWP existed using that law. I always carried a collapsible rod and reel and some lures. I was always going to and from fishing. There are ponds, rivers and Lakes everywhere.

flat is offline flat

thanks behind the rear seat sounds ok.

g50ae I have a cwp but in SC 12 inches is maximum length